Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 8th May 2016, 20:41

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road
Default The Tribute Automotive Forum Section

Good evening to all.

I feel that I should post something in reference to the recent "issues" that have been aired on this forum section over the last few days (weeks and months), but to be honest (and also impartial, neutral and/or polite) I currently have no idea what I should write....

Let's just rewind to a simpler, happier time:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=3360

Onwards and backwards we go.
Available from eBay
Old 8th May 2016, 21:08

froggyman is on a distinguished road

I'll drink to that.
Old 8th May 2016, 22:00

Triumph Special is on a distinguished road

I love the 'Chris and Dan blend things together to make a car' threads!
Old 8th May 2016, 22:58

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I love to see how the Tribute range evolves from an idea , some trial and error GRP work all the way to a finished product. I just wish I had the vision and the skills to work with GRP ! I know the basic knowledge of laying up GRP isn't hard but to work like Tribute do can only be done with lots of background experience .

I think some people need to be educated to understand what they are getting when they buy a kit and how it is arrived at . GRP work has lots of variables and hand finished GRP is just that. Its not a perfect art but I think Tribute products are very good value for money car kits for the enthusiast to build up at home.
Old 9th May 2016, 07:27

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post

I think some people need to be educated to understand what they are getting when they buy a kit and how it is arrived at . GRP work has lots of variables and hand finished GRP is just that. Its not a perfect art but I think Tribute products are very good value for money car kits for the enthusiast to build up at home.
Agreed 100%. I accept that some people don't have the skills to build their car but have the money to pay someone else to do it for them and that's fine, but those of us who do build our own cars seem to have a better understanding that there will be the odd issue with the body/paint/mechanicals on what is effectively a unique, hand built car.

Here's the reality: Tribute and Nubodi supply their product and expertise and the end result can suffer the odd glitch, just as brand-new mainstream cars can too. The difference is that with a new car you get a warranty and pay a lot more money for the privilege, while anything that looks even half as good is going to cost the wrong side of £35k. Think of a Tribute as being a potentially temperamental classic car and you won't go far wrong.

If you're not prepared to maintain the Tribute model, including correcting any paintwork/bodywork irritations that crop up with a smile on your face, I suggest you walk into your nearest high-end sports car dealership waving a very large cheque.
Old 9th May 2016, 08:15

smash is on a distinguished road

As this appears to be directly aimed at me I will reply but firstly quick point: Chris is attempting to put things back on an even keel and already 2 of you are using it to go back over the same ground. For the sake of balance i must respond

I had a contract with Nubodi to supply a finished body conversion.

My expectations were set by what Richard told me was possible. He set my expectations high (not Tribute). "We work miracles everyday" is one of his favourite sayings.

He didn't say for example, "Oh it may be that you get some blisters pop up in your paintwork within 5 days (and yes, it was less than 5 days) of getting the car home but that's the nature of the beast, sorry, your problem" as you believe should be accepted by anyone comissioning a car to be built for them. To be fair to Richard he never once said it was my problem and assured it would be sorted - only after he'd used the car for Stoneleigh was all support withdrawn.

I had no dealings with Chris whatsoever until Richard told me the blisters were Tributes fault for defective laying up. He told me Tribute should contribute to painting cost - yes, I let myself become a mouth piece for some of Richard's "irritations" with the kit which should not have happened. It’s none of your business frankly but I have already privately apologised to Chris for this (this was prior to the previous thread).

I have had kit cars the last 30 years and never had this issue (all second hand).

The professional painters (who do it for a living day in day out!) tell me it should not have had the contamination in the first paint - fish eyes on every panel, not one or two but considerable amounts. Richard has since confirmed that the painter's apprentice had oil in the line. This was the painter’s failure. It's established fact.

The professional painters (who do it for a living day in day out!) on the forum do acknowledge that voids can happen, they also say the builder/painter should have looked for and resolved these before paint.

The car was painted again and the fish eyes buffed out.

Am I happy with the fish eye resolution? Yes

Am I happy with the repaint? No - because of the amateur masking of the externally visible body to door shuts and because of a localised incidence of mopping straight through the edge of the rear wheel vent on near side. This is what happens when a job is rushed and the painter is up til 2am at the behest of the builder - not me! I only spotted the mop through on Sunday when I [properly leathered and polished the car. I am looking at my text right now which says "don't **** it up just to get it to the show" - "Don't worry it'll be fine" is the reply. Fact: It was rushed. Fact: corners were cut (literally). Not for my benefit. This is acceptable?

You seem to think it’s reasonable for me to be left with these issues to resolve? Again, although none of your business it was private between myself and Chris but he has been generous enough to help me out. And Nubodi, well as I said before payment with held but it’s telling that the “Nubodi” 250 review in the latest Kit Car magazine doesn’t mention tribute save for listing their phone number at the end after Nubodi’s.

The car stands me in 14k now and is a new build. Irrespective of what you believe I should be educated about I am already aware of what I was led to expect and what I received. Perhaps you need educating about expectation management? In my case they were 2 different things.

Richard quoted to me as saying "I'm not expecting perfection" and that's absolutely true - I did say that...but I don't think that is a caveat to excuse either a the equivalent of a popadom appearing on the rear shelf or the basic rudimentary painting errors that have happened.

I must say congratulations to both of you for using Chris’s reconciliatory thread to air these opinions to which I have had to exercise right of reply for sake of balance.

Well done.

Last edited by smash; 9th May 2016 at 08:34..
Old 9th May 2016, 09:16

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

Well mine still looks like a piece of crap 3 years in and I have no one to blame but myself :-D
Old 9th May 2016, 12:52

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Smash , you are right , its none of business , its between you and Nubodi to resolve.
However , you did decide to go public on an open forum , I'm not sure why if its none of our business.

I too have been involved in kit cars for years and I still maintain that Tribute products are very good value for money.
I'm not sure what your expectations were when you placed your order, I thought your car looked excellent at Stoneliegh.

If you go round with camera set on Macro and take pictures 2" from the surface you find defects in the paint.
Old 9th May 2016, 14:09

smash is on a distinguished road

I'm not arguing the tribute kit wasn't good value for money - I bought pre-price increase - no issues here.

Honestly, you don't need macro to see either defect above (plus the fact my phone doesn't have macro!).

The mop burn through to the grp on the rear edge of the vent is 3 inches long. 3 inches....

To prep for paint, paint and then refit lights etc. I paid Nubodi £3,200.

So, I'd ask you one simple question, imagine you've paid £3,200 for your paint: be honest, is this acceptable.... yes/no?

Last edited by smash; 9th May 2016 at 14:19..
Old 9th May 2016, 14:37

ThatAmericanChap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post

To prep for paint, paint and then refit lights etc. I paid Nubodi £3,200.

So, I'd ask you one simple question, imagine you've paid £3,200 for your paint: be honest, is this acceptable.... yes/no?

Two paint threads - one from the Jaguar Forum:

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj...t-shop-113751/

and one from the Show Car Forum:

http://www.shoforum.com/index.php?th...intjob.119713/

both presented without comment, with the caveat that the prices discussed are in Dollars American (£3,200 being roughly $5,000 US).

Last edited by ThatAmericanChap; 9th May 2016 at 14:39..
Old 9th May 2016, 15:08

froggyman is on a distinguished road

This thread was started by Chris to return to happier times, not carry on from where the other was going!
At one point we were told we were not to see a photo of this fantastic car until after its unveiling at Stoneleigh. How times change.
Lets just move on and enjoy this forum as we used to.
Old 9th May 2016, 15:48

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

+1
Old 9th May 2016, 16:31

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyman View Post
This thread was started by Chris to return to happier times, not carry on from where the other was going!
At one point we were told we were not to see a photo of this fantastic car until after its unveiling at Stoneleigh. How times change.
Lets just move on and enjoy this forum as we used to.
As one of the three accussed of being protective of Chris and Dan.
I would like to see the threads returning to their original purpose a way for ideas and information to be passed among interested parties.

There are many knowledgable people on here and a fantastic resource when you a contemplating a build or your mid way through .

The finished cars of all different build experience levels are a showcase what can be achieved. Every car finished is a credit to their owner

I don't think it should be arena for any one selling their services except Tribute Automotive
Old 9th May 2016, 17:00

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post

I don't think it should be arena for any one selling their services except Tribute Automotive
Time for a seperate section on the forum for Nubodi builds , cars , advice , customers remarks , sales etc. maybe ?

Smasharooni ...Your pm box is full ...
Old 9th May 2016, 17:13

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Good idea
Old 9th May 2016, 17:40

Barber is on a distinguished road

I agree
Old 9th May 2016, 17:49

How about an "I'm brilliant and I know everything section".........that wouldn't annoy anyone....would it?
Old 9th May 2016, 17:50

But surely that would be my section?
Old 9th May 2016, 17:51

We could each have our own.
Old 9th May 2016, 17:54

But mine would be better and smugger than yours