Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 31st July 2015, 21:25

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road
Default My exhaust is fecked - advice please

I hit a speed hump wrong and ripped my side exit exhaust from in front of the wheel to behind it.

My first option is to stick a big stick up the side pipe and try and bend it back.

My second option is to cut the pipe off at the join and have a single exit

I have no welding gear and need the car on Sunday. Any advice welcomd
Available from eBay
Old 31st July 2015, 22:12

Roadster is on a distinguished road

I would be inclined to try your first suggestion
Old 1st August 2015, 00:42

y cymro is on a distinguished road

It's probably worth trying your first suggestion first. Whip the wheel off and use a tight fitting piece of wood or steel pipe in the exhaust to prevent further damage. Looking back at your previous posts the exhaust formed a T before the tail pipes. Have you checked if one of the welded joints has been ripped apart?
Old 1st August 2015, 07:54

And this morning I will see the actual damage. Photos to follow and possibly some swearing
Old 1st August 2015, 11:54

Well, that was a fun couple of hours.

First I started to reverse up my home made ramps so I could get under the car but stopped half way up as I heard a scraping sound

Nothing to do with the exhaust but possibly related to me lowering the front end

Never mind, no damage done and I could get to the 'pipes.

It was quite clear, quite quickly that they were not going to be repairable

This meant a quick drive to a customer exhaust fabricator near by to discuss what could be done and at what cost. The cost is £475 + vat and I pick the car up on Tuesday.

The design is a small baffle box immediately after the cat with twin 2.25" pipes exiting it going out to 3" pipe ends. It will be a single pipe on each side rather than the twins fitted to Chris's show car

Old 1st August 2015, 12:13

If anyone wants the right hand 'cherry bomb' silencer then it is free to a good home. One careless owner.
Old 1st August 2015, 12:42

That's a bugger but sounds like you'll have a nice exhaust for the money. Talking of sounds (see what I did there?) I built a stainless exhaust for mine with a single straight through silencer and no cats before driving to Stoneleigh. It sounded wonderful but I had to wear ear plugs for the journey. The cats were re-fitted when I got back and some inserts fitted into the tail pipes. It's still noisy, though bearable, especially with the roof down. My point is be careful with the size of that single silencer. Let me know if you want the dimensions of mine. I could measure the sound level using a phone app but don't find it particularly repeatable. It was 105db without the cats when cruising at 70mph and is in the 90s now.
Old 1st August 2015, 12:51

It is not as much of a problem as it might seem as I was planning on replacing the pipes in the next couple of months, it has just brought those plans forward.

I drove it with nothing at all after the cat to get it to the exhaust shop. It was quite loud on full throttle but still bearable. The biggest issue was the vibrations it caused.

I guess any box added will bring the noise down a bit and sticking the pipes out the back will help too. Remember I had side pipes before with the noise appearing right next to you in the car.

My Merc is pretty loud too but in a wonderfully bass way. I am hoping the new exhaust will make the BMW sound better.
Old 1st August 2015, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
I drove it with nothing at all after the cat to get it to the exhaust shop. It was quite loud on full throttle but still bearable
What a guy

Quote:
My Merc is pretty loud too but in a wonderfully bass way. I am hoping the new exhaust will make the BMW sound better.
I'm sure it will. Mine sounds like a similar setup and produces a deep note. Being a 6 cylinder also gives it a 'back in period' sound which I'm sure you'll enjoy.
I've also fitted a foam air filter and knocked up a cold air kit from an old bucket and the intake note over 5 1/2 thousand revs is spine chilling. Compliments the exhaust note wonderfully.
Just remembered, I splashed out and used a new, large flowerpot for the CAI. 99p from Tesco. They're in the car modifying aisle next to weed killer.
Old 1st August 2015, 13:11

I've also fitted a foam air filter and knocked up a cold air kit from an old bucket

Photos?
Old 1st August 2015, 13:32

Quote:
I've also fitted a foam air filter and knocked up a cold air kit from an old bucket

Photos?
It's a black flowerpot mate!! Will snap some later
Old 1st August 2015, 13:34

Just wondering how you fitted it, i had worked out the materials :-)

I am without the car to play with until the 'pipes are fitted so need something to think about doing when I do get it back
Old 1st August 2015, 15:05

Off out now so will take a pic later on.
Remove the Airbox, and cut 'petals' in the bottom of the flowerpot which can be sandwiched to the MAF inlet by using a jubilee clip. The pot is about 250mm dia and needed to be cut to fit where the Airbox was.

Last edited by y cymro; 1st August 2015 at 22:20..
Old 2nd August 2015, 00:02

I decided to fit a performance air filter purely for the induction note. Some years ago I worked with K&N to develop a cone air filter for a FIAT Tipo 16valve twin cam, which was a highly underrated car and motor. Anyway, the new air filter was phenomenal and sounded exactly like a pair of 40s. I hoped for the same on the Z3 but it doesn't sound as throaty.

After removing the OEM airbox (easy to do, no pics needed) the new air filter was fastened directly to the MAF by a suitable jubilee clip.
I ran it without a heat shield for a while and the sound was a good howling noise at high revs, and with the exhaust I have (tubular manifolds, new late diameter down pipes, cats, twin 2 1/2" pipes to a single straight-through silencer) it sounded good from the cockpit and turns heads from outside. From inside the car it's particularly noticeable above 6000rpm when it sounds fantastic - though only for the last 500 revs before the red line.
Fitting the flower pot means the noise starts at about 5 1/2 and is louder than before - the pot acting like the bell mouth of a trumpet amplifying the sound.
I don't recommend you running an open air filter without a heat shield as heat soak from the engine bay will lose you power. The flower pot does a good job of shielding heat and guiding cold air from the standard air intake beneath the nearside headlamp to the new filter. After fitting the flower pot my Acceleration Redardation System Evaluator records an increase in performance noticeable above about 5500rpm where the car definitely hauls better than before.

A Pipercross foam cone air filter about 180mm long and 150mm O/D was bought from eBay for around £20. The mounting diameter was chosen to fit directly onto the inlet of the MAF. I don't remember the diameter, 72mm perhaps? Let me know if you want the details and I'll dig them out.

The flower pot used to make a CAI heat shield was black, 250mm long, 200mm diameter at the base tapering to 230mm at the mouth. It cost 99p in Tesco.

A hole is cut in the bottom of the flower pot and petals bent at 90degrees. The air filter fits through the hole and the assembly pushed over the MAF inlet. A jubilee clip fits over the petals and fastening it all together.

To cut the hole scribe a circle in the base of the pot which is the outside diameter of the air filter mounting flange. Scribe another hole about 20-25mm smaller in diameter. Use a hole cutter to cut the smaller diameter hole. Make radial cuts every 15mm or so to the larger scribed circle.

Bend out the petals as they'll form the mounting flange to hold the MAF/air filter/CAI together. A heat gun made the bending easier and more consistent.

You can see three of the petals here

The flower pot I bought was too large to fit in the space vacated by the air box. It was made shorter by trimming the top flange off which also reduced the diameter. It fouled on the alternator so I made a cut, folded the two parts over themselves, and pop riveted the join. This also remove the circular shape of the pot and helped it fit in the complex shape between inner wing, front panel and alternator. It's easier to do than it sounds, and the pot costs less than a pound if you need a second attempt.

Here's the finished job. I've lightened the image to help show the detail. The existing bracket that held the OEM airbox has been utilised by adding a cotton reel exhaust mount and a steel bracket pop riveted to the CAI. Without it I was concerned the assembly would fall into the clutches of the alternator belt.

The small diameter plastic water pipe connecting the rad to the expansion tank has been reformed, assisted by the heat gun, to its new position following the slam panel and along the inner wing, behind the strut mount to the tank.

Exhaust heat wrap is used on the top hose to lessen heat transfer to the CAI.

Without lightening the photo I think the black coloured pot fits well in the engine bay. A terracotta pot might look a bit Bill and Ben.

Last edited by y cymro; 2nd August 2015 at 00:15..
Old 2nd August 2015, 07:18

Excellent ,

When I get the car back I shall go buy a filter and flowerpot.

Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 10:31

swifty is on a distinguished road

Great thinking matey with the flower pot.

Another great use for flower pot's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozp8uwUWtBY FLOBERLOB LOBER LOBER.

Last edited by swifty; 2nd August 2015 at 10:37.. Reason: typo
Old 2nd August 2015, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Great thinking matey with the flower pot.

Another great use for flower pot's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozp8uwUWtBY FLOBERLOB LOBER LOBER.
Bloody hell, that takes me back. Telly went down hill when it introduced that silly 'colour TV' idea. Won't catch me buying one of them till the price comes down!
Old 2nd August 2015, 16:20

Having watched that I think Bill and Ben built kit cars
Old 6th August 2015, 14:02

Finally got the car back.

The back box was fitted into what little space there was behind the cat' and the 2.5" pipes leading to 3" tips

From the front looking back from the cat

And looking forwards towards the cat

I love the long pair of pipes with no further boxes to disturb them

You can see the bigger tip from this angle but doesn't look too bad I think

And from the side on the ground

I think the single pipe per side suits the simpler, more petite, rump of the Z300S

And the ground clearance is a whole heap better
Old 6th August 2015, 14:08

garyh is on a distinguished road

Looks nice, what does it sound like...