Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 19th February 2019, 13:47

freeman41 is on a distinguished road
Default Some Winter Improvements

The rear wings are a different profile when viewed from the rear and a number of people have mentioned this to me. I have a similar problem around the headlights but no one seems to notice this. I feel sure most builders on the forum will have come across these problems.

When I first started the build I did not feel confident enough to rectify these problems. There is also an uneven section on the grill surround but I feel this is a job to far.

There are some stress fractures across the rear of the body and the gel coat is starting to lift in this area. There are a few other areas I am not happy with so now is the time to hopefully improve things.

I am laying extra fibreglass to the underside of these areas to make them more sturdy and remove some of the flexing, rubbing down and laying surface film to the face before applying filler.

I put a couple of saw cuts in the offside rear wing to allow me to pull it into shape without stressing the wing or applying a large amount of filler to improve the shape....This has worked quite well.

The car will get a re-spray and some new stickers hopefully this time not to hide the imperfections.

I'm not looking for perfection. I like the aged look but the fractures are getting worse.

More photos of the progress
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190130_121406.jpg (98.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20190130_121416.jpg (97.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20190130_121446.jpg (96.0 KB, 41 views)
Available from eBay
Old 19th February 2019, 17:55

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Good luck making the changes you want.

At least driving it around for a while should have uncovered all the issues. < Touch wood >

Cheers, Paul.
Old 28th February 2019, 22:18

Yorkshireman is on a distinguished road

Looking good Trevor with the mods to the body you are doing. I have been doing a fair amount myself. I am hoping to drive mine on the roads with Leeds fine potholed roads to test out my bodywork skills. Are you sending your Sammio local for painting or are you spraying the car yourself. Good luck with your winter modifications Dave