Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 30th October 2012, 21:13

Cat7 is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts on donor cars

OK new to this forum, but I have got the itch back to build something again after recently having sold my Caterham.

Looking for a suitable donor car, and was wondering what the consensus is between the 1.6 and 1.8 engines. There seems to be so e really good bargains for later 1.6 cars (imports are my main focus). Is one engine more suitable for tuning than the other? My idea is to build a 250 and then upgrade steadily. I am a firm believer in getting the car sorted in terms of geometry, and gaining improvements through handling rather than raw power, but a few more horses is always a nice consideration to achieve.

There are certainly some stunning results with the 250 kit, and it has really grabbed my attention, and some good info on here so well done to all that contribute.

Neville.
Available from eBay
Old 30th October 2012, 22:23

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
OK new to this forum, but I have got the itch back to build something again after recently having sold my Caterham.

Looking for a suitable donor car, and was wondering what the consensus is between the 1.6 and 1.8 engines. There seems to be so e really good bargains for later 1.6 cars (imports are my main focus). Is one engine more suitable for tuning than the other? My idea is to build a 250 and then upgrade steadily. I am a firm believer in getting the car sorted in terms of geometry, and gaining improvements through handling rather than raw power, but a few more horses is always a nice consideration to achieve.

There are certainly some stunning results with the 250 kit, and it has really grabbed my attention, and some good info on here so well done to all that contribute.

Neville.
Welcome Neville

The imported cars are the ones to go for, less time in on salty UK roads the better. The difference between a good 1.6 and a tired 1.8 is zero and if you are going to upgrade with performance exhaust/filter/chip etc then you will quickly reverse the power difference between the 2 engines. I would say that buying the car with the best condition shell possible is the most important factor. Driving an MX5 on a twisting B road is alot of fun
Old 30th October 2012, 22:43

Default Thanks

Thanks Chris,

That kind of aligns with my thoughts, so the hunt begins for a non airbag car.

Would like to come down to you and have a chat about the project if possible, and no doubt I will leave you with a lower bank balance.

I would like to get some ideas on the look of the vented vs. unvented option I have been reading about, and also understand the wheel options, I think a higher profile would suit the car maybe on 15's or 16's. but would like to pick your brains on options as I like the period look ore a more modern one.

Thanks for the info on the phone the other day as well, the seed is definitely sown and in germination phase now.

Keep up the good work

Nev.
Old 31st October 2012, 07:15

Jamie is on a distinguished road

Avoid UK 1.6 later than 1993 as they are lower powered with only 90bhp.

Compared to a 1.6 an imported 1.8 has bigger brakes, torsen LSD and depending on the model a lighter flywheel and 4.3:1 final drive (for faster acceleration).

If you plan to boost it (turbo, supercharger) then the 1.6 diff won't last long and you'll end upgrading it to 1.8 spec.
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:57

Default Donor car sorted

Well very happy, picked up a 1993 1.8 eunos with less than 90k on the clock LSD and a decent spec and interior.

Now need to get down to Chris and hand over some cash and sort out what option to go for.

Will no doubt be asking lot more questions on here as to the build.

Last edited by Cat7; 2nd November 2012 at 15:57..
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:02

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
Well very happy, picked up a 1993 1.8 eunos with less than 90k on the clock LSD and a decent spec and interior.

Now need to get down to Chris and hand over some cash and sort out what option to go for.

Will no doubt be asking lot more questions on here as to the build.
that was quick....not jealous ..lol...

still not in a position to build a car myself yet as space is limited,so playing with motorbikes instead.

looks like we may be moving house in the next year but that will be a good thing as i'll gain a garage.