Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 24th November 2005, 10:54
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road
Default Decisions

Hello everyone! this is my first post, I pick my kit up from Marlin in Jan and was turbo all the way as I have owned a turbo coupe before and know how rapid they are and how easily they can be modified for very little money..........however I have recently bought the full type r engine etc from Dan and having spent a couple of sad hours stroking and playing with it I quite fancy this option now esp the 6 speed box.

But I also have in my garage a brand new turbo cylinder head and cam carriers fully ported polished the lot..stage 2 ecu and a few other bits!

As long as I use the engine from a 220 turbo I know 280bhp is possible without the cylider head so would like some input from people . I have never driven a type r so dont know what to expect.

Many thanks
Available from eBay
Old 24th November 2005, 12:04
Enthusiast

BIG_Fella is on a distinguished road

Hi Craig
I am in the process of building a type R 5EXI
The engine is highly tuneable
You can have Turbo or superchargers or just ring the neck out of it in N/A settings
This site gives you a bit of info on tuning http://www.abbeymotorsport.co.uk/main.htm
I hope this helps

Big Fella
Old 24th November 2005, 12:42
Enthusiast

Yeah I have already done a bit of research on supercharging it and it looks like it would cost about £2750 which seems ok!
It's just wherw do you draw the line as I already expect the build to cost me well over £15k.

I was just down at the factory a couple of weeks ago and would loved to have driven the honda powered car but there was no chance and there turbo demo is no longer there, so after driving the 1.6 was left a little deflated to be honest

Craig
Old 24th November 2005, 13:30
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Craig.

I'm doing a Rover turbo. There are three other that I know of. Brian, Trev and another John. Brian has completed, Trev and John are on there last legs to completion.

Rover or Honda. The Honda was not an option at the time I got mine. But managed to get a brand new Rover 220 Turbo engine. Got her started about a month ago and she sounds great.

You say 280 BHP from a Rover engine. But as been discussed on the Rover forum, to be reliable, you need a forged bottom end. And this is going to cost lots.

Not sure on the Honda pushing that power whether the same is recommended.

Only you can decide.

But also you have to way up the cost of getting the doror/parts etc to build.
Old 24th November 2005, 14:43
Enthusiast

Hi, I never had any problems with the bottom end when the car was modified only the crappy lsd box so replaced with non lsd and the head gasket so that was uprated! Pushing 14 psi diff exhaust, air filter dump valve and modified turbo showed 244 bhp at the wheels on a dyno and was told that I would lose about 35bhp from the gearbox so roughly 280bhp. maybe it was wrong but it moved when asked!!

I must admit the sound of the turbo is very addictive Just wish that marlin had still had there turbo demo car........
Old 24th November 2005, 14:46
Enthusiast

Forgot to mention that I'm planning to register new, marlin have quoted me roughly £1200 for all new parts but I have bought loads of Dan new, all discs hubs calipers etc
Old 24th November 2005, 15:12
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

To get a new registration, you can only have one recondition part. All the rest needs to be new. So it may be if you go along this route, the Rover is not the way to go. IE. New engine and recon box

Swap you for the Type R engine.
Old 24th November 2005, 15:26
Enthusiast

There is another type r engine on ebay at the moment if anyone else is thinking type r
Old 24th November 2005, 17:12
Enthusiast

Craig are you going to fit the marlin override box or and after market ecu on the type R engine
The super charger for the K20A2 engine will give you and extra 100 bhp
I am going to fit an hondata pro ecu to start with and a year down the road will look at a supercharger
The cost of it will be less as i will already have the ecu
Old 24th November 2005, 17:50
Enthusiast

Not sure on the override box yet! I did not think that you had to have the hondata to run the charger? How much is the hondata alone as I believe that the marlin box is £300 is this correct?

If i purchased a hondata are they easy to use as they sound complicated? Can I just get in a drive it?

Ps had a look at your website... your flying
Old 25th November 2005, 07:06
Enthusiast

The Hondata pro is about £700
I dont know how much the marlin box is
From what i have read the ecu will work on the Honda Brain for normal running it gust bipasses the engine emobiliser
Old 25th November 2005, 12:47
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Talking to Mark last Saturday, he confirmed the "black box" will cost £300, which naturally got me thinking about alternatives.

I have read about the performance related features of the hondata kit, but haven't seen any mention of immobiliser by-pass yet. Could someone point me towards a URL where that is stated?

Do you know exactly what the Marlin box does? Mark said that it simply acts as an immobiliser fooler, which seems curiously simple. Given a transponder from the original keys could be obtained, along with the receiver, I'm presuming that like VW/Audi, Honda has tied the clocks and ECU together and this is why the Marlin widget is required.
Old 25th November 2005, 23:03
Enthusiast

Here is a link for info on bypass on hondata k pro
http://www.hondata.com/kmanager.html
hope this helps