Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 1st November 2004, 01:29
Kit Car Dreamer

ABaker is on a distinguished road
Default Kit Car Copyright

Hi

Please would you be enought to advise; I am currently collating a business plan to produce a kit car. I was hoping if anyone can point me in the right direction regarding the law; that is if i had designed a repilca of a car already in production, would copyright be violated? Or is permission specifically needed from the original manufacturer?

many thanks

adam baker
Available from eBay
Old 1st November 2004, 10:08

D-Angle is on a distinguished road

Hi Adam,

The original manufacturer owns the design rights to the shape of the car. This is automatically granted as soon as the design is produced, but can be registered as well. You will find more info at www.patent.gov.uk, look for information on registered designs.

As far as I can tell, manufacturers aren't so bothered about models that they don't produce anymore, but kick up a right stink if you copy something they are still selling. For example, there are plenty of people doing Countach and Diablo replicas, but anyone trying to do a convincing Murcielago rep has been shut down by Lambo's lawyers. Although that may be down to their new owners, VAG, who may have decided to take a more aggressive stance. That's why any Murcielago reps around are different enough in detail to not fall foul. Unfortunately it means you can tell they're replicas. As far as I know Ferrari take a very dim view of copying of products past and present.

If you don't want to say what you're making a replica of in a public forum, feel free to PM me if you have nay other questions.

Regards,
Justin
Old 1st November 2004, 21:13
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

There's a belief that if the 'replica' is out by a certain percentage to the original then it will be ok - I don't know if there is any truth behind that.

If you are going for an exact replica of a current production car then you've got to expect a cease and desist to land on your door mat. If you are replicating an older car no longer in production then you may get away with it but as D-Angle says some like Ferrari don't like you doing ANY of their cars.

Basically if you are copying a design that is still under copyright then in the eyes of the law you can can be shut down at any time if the original manufacturer wants to do so.

For some reason that I don't particularly understand the original manufacturers more often than not just let the replicas manufacturers go about their business. A big chunk of the kit car industry would vanish overnight if the big guns decided not to play ball.

John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
Old 5th November 2004, 15:39
Enthusiast

vojx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
A big chunk of the kit car industry would vanish overnight if the big guns decided not to play ball.

John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
and this would be a bad thing?

no more 7s, cobras - just new and interesting designs. . .

oh, see your point
Old 5th November 2004, 15:56
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

New and interesting original designs would be nice (especially some concepts that the big production manufacturers come up with) oh hang on they would be replicas again wouldn't they

I know some are a bit fed up with 7's and Cobra's but to be honest I could look at a Cobra all day long, they are just perfect in my eye 7's serve a purpose for some 4 wheeled fun.

John

Madabout-Kitcars.com