Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 21st November 2012, 10:02

Colin Smiley is on a distinguished road
Smile JBA Falcon

Hi Guys,
I am in need of some advice and hope this is the right place! I am hoping to purchase a 1980's Jba Falcon which is "half finished" it comes with a cortina log book and pinto engine. the falcon is not registered and my main concern is will this car still pass all the saftey/road legislations. I am a complete newbie to kitcars in general but have built and modified a few minis so Im not a complete numpty when it comes to the spanners!
Thanks for any pointers.
Available from eBay
Old 21st November 2012, 12:34
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

The first step should be to get a copy of the IVA (Individual Vehicle Aproval) regulations. You can buy a paper copy or if you search the internet you should be able to find a downloadable one.

The other thing to know is that the IVA test is not cheap - £500 I believe at the moment. And further fees for a re-test should you fail first time. The test takes nearly a whole day - hence the rather large fee.

A lot of the guys that frequent this forum have been through the test or the previous SVA test which was very similar (but cheaper...) It's a great source of information.

Cheers

Robin
Old 28th November 2012, 20:27

bumpy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Smiley View Post
Hi Guys,
I am in need of some advice and hope this is the right place! I am hoping to purchase a 1980's Jba Falcon which is "half finished" it comes with a cortina log book and pinto engine. the falcon is not registered and my main concern is will this car still pass all the saftey/road legislations. I am a complete newbie to kitcars in general but have built and modified a few minis so Im not a complete numpty when it comes to the spanners!
Thanks for any pointers.
Why not join the JBA Owners club. There is an active forum there and lots of info on registration etc.

http://www.jbaoc.org.uk/
Old 4th January 2013, 08:49
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha View Post
as the car was designed long before SVA and even longer b4 the actual IVA, it wont pass IVA without intensive and expensive mods.
Hi Micha,
I don't think that is necessarily true? Can you give an example where a JBA Falcon has to be 'intensively modified' to to meet the IVA requirements?

Traditional sports cars designs such as the Marlin Cabrio and the Marlin Sportster have all passed the IVA tests, so I cant really see without some checking a JBA falcon cannot?

There is even a nice write up of one builders experience passing his SVA test in 2002.
http://www.robbiegibson.com/doug14.htm

The IVA test is slightly different in detail but fundamentally the same test.

Of course, you should always fully asses the cost of finishing an unfinished kit car because often people selling unfinished cars are asking far too much money and as you say it is often cheaper to buy a finished registered car.

But there are bargains to be had if you shop carefully
Old 4th January 2013, 09:48
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road

Hi Micha

Having built a JBA and a Marlin Cabrio I can see no reason why a JBA would not pass IVA, yes there would need to be modifications but I can't think of any which would be "intensive and expensive mods".

You are right there are bargains out there to be had, but in my experience you see very few, if at all, registered JBA falcons at £1500 - £2000, I suspect for a decent car you would be closer to £4 - £5K.

John
Old 4th January 2013, 17:04
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road

Thanks but I have an IVA manual and yep I already understand in detail whats needed for IVA.
Old 4th January 2013, 21:52

seanick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha View Post
a marlin roadster, for example, built and constructed in the 80ies, would never pass the IVA test without major, time andmoney consuming modifications..whereas a sportster, which was designed later, will pass easier.

even both cars look similar they are totally different.

also IVA and SVA are differnt...a car which somehow passed SVA does not fullfil the IVA standards...IVA is much stricter and more comprehensive.

to name some of the IVA requirements:

it starts with glass needs to be e-marked, light lenses need to be e-marked, windscreen wipers need a min.requested wiping-area and a requested speed, typical old chrome "smiths" instruments do not meet the IVA requirements in terms of bezel radius, iva requires certain dashboard switches and warning lamps, mirrors need a certain size and shape, indicator position, noise, all sharp corners and protuding bolts/nuts need to be covered or rounded(internal and external), door lock mechanism and door handles need to fullfill certain modern standards, you need a tethered fuel cap (Or one that uses the same key as the ignition), fuel tank cannot be near hot surfaces (e.g. exhaust), Seats must have head restraints...plus lots of things more!!

One point is particularly important. When you submit your finished car for the necessary IVA test (which will cost you at least £450, by the way, some re-test fees on top...and the majoritiy of the new designed kits even need a re-test)) it will be up to you to prove that it has been built by amateurs. Good ways of doing this are by submitting photographs of the kit being built in a domestic environment, and you will need such pictures from the seller. Also useful are receipts for parts, of which there should be a good many. If these are not available, and the kit is anything other than barely started, you probably be refused a test, or may have to dismantle the car and then rebuild it, this time with photos to prove that you have done so.
So, if photos and receipts are not available from the seller, be very wary, and better still avoid it altogether.

As regards actually getting the car on the road itself, the cost of the IVA, re-test, registration (+ a trailer?), road tax, insurance, number plates and fuel - allow at least £1000, plus all the parts you need to buy for completing the car.

here you can download the IVA manual.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/Trans...rsion_1111.pdf

this said...nothing is impossible...but you need to to make up you mind if this is worth all the hazzle....andyou already see from te above prices that you need to get the kit nearly free of charge that it finally makes sense to invest further money.

use google and type in "kit car+IVA" or " kit car project+IVA" or "pitfalls+IVA"

Its not about the destination, its the journey.

A good way to spend your time and money if you ask me.