Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 14th June 2016, 22:11

swifty is on a distinguished road

The manifold and just about the whole exhaust system has been wrapped which made no difference, ive also tried the higher octane unleaded petrol, checked the carbs over float height etc and made adjustment but still no solution. The distributor was brand new with built in electronic ignition but it looks like the dizzy may of been a cheap copy that's why i am now turning my attention to the ignition components although i can't understand why a hot ignition would cause problems to not start but ok when cooler.
Old 15th June 2016, 07:12

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

How's your mixture? As my old 150 Stombergs wore out I had to keep enriching the settings as it was stuttering in the mid-range with them set to what had been the optimum. Eventually the mixture got so rich that I got starting problems both hot and cold, which triggered me to change the carbs. It hasn't missed a beat since.

Having said that, the only actual breakdown I've had was down to the modern MSD multispark ignition module failing at full throttle (my fault I believe as my 'work in progress' header tank had just dumped a load of boiling coolant all over it) -

Phew! Lucky I had those cones on my head when I set off.

My point is that modern electronics can both help and hinder an old car. Perhaps your distributor has a fault that only manifests itself when hot. I'd be inclined to change back to a standard distributor and see if it cures the problem. If it does, you have your answer. Good luck.
Old 15th June 2016, 08:11

My thought's also about trying another dizzy, the engine originally came with out a dizzy so i bought a replacment so whilst i can see the benefit of trying another i am waiting to see if the supplier will send a replacment electronic dizzy. I am keeping an eye out for a points dizzy for a GT6 if its a resonable price.
Old 16th June 2016, 08:30

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Swifty - I know very little about engines.

But I saw this post earlier and thought of you, even though it is for a V8 engine.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...&postcount=276

Full build thread details here.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=5254

Hope it helps, Paul.
Old 16th June 2016, 19:41

Thanks for that Paul.

Right from the beginning i have just assumed the new electronic dizzy/coil supplied was ok but your comment/link has got me thinking that maybe there's a problem with the coil getting hot or may be a lower supply voltage when hot and cranking the engine over. I also have a high torque starter motor fitted which was second hand so maybe the starter motor draws more current when hot which in turns drops the supply voltage to the coil on a hot start up. This weekend i intend on doing a few checks with a muti meter on the ignition system.

One thing i have just found out today is the coil has a primary circuit reading of 1.0 omhs, i was always under the assumption a 12v coil with no ballast resistor had a primary winding resistance of 3.0 omhs and a 6v coil with ballast fitted had a primary resistance of 1.5 omhs so i am slightly concerned as to the 1.0 omhs reading. Have emailed the supplier to see what they say.

Food for thought and if any body can add to this then please do so.
Old 19th June 2016, 19:37

Had the car out today at a local classic car show, alas i did not put it on show as i was too late to register so parked up with every body else and had a walk around, car's from my past on display but none of the Italian exotic cars which was a disappointment had hoped to see maybe a Lancia Spider or Fiat 124 spider, me thinks one of these could be the next project, just need to find a suitable one which at the minute is like looking for hens teeth.

IMG_7025.jpg

Cars from the late fifties through to the sixty's have similarities in body shape, this i was led to believe was a genuine AC and not a kit. What i found surprising was the huge size of the wheels and tyres compared to whats on the navigator but they certainly did not look out of place.

IMG_7027.jpg IMG_7030.jpg

The XK150 is one of my favorite old jags, this one was in great shape both internal and external. Triumph TR3, great example.

IMG_7026.jpg

Mint american classic.

Left the best till last. Car shot with what is becoming the obligatory castle in back ground.

IMG_7032.jpg

Even though it was parked in amongest every day cars it still drew attention, when i arrived back at the car there was a father and son debating as to what it was, the son was taken pictures to check the reg out to see what information he could find on the web, so i decided to put them out of their misery and tell them what it is, which surprised both of them. They said they had seen the car passing through the show area and decided to walk through the parking fields to find it.

Even on the way home i was stopped by a guy in an MGB who wanted to find out what it was, may be it was because i over took him so wanted to know what it had under the bonnet, plus he commented on the popping exhaust noise, music to the ears i never get tired of lifting off and hearing the pops and crackles.

Well that's it for now see you all soon.
Old 19th June 2016, 21:53

That's the Sammio experience defined - positive interest from everyone who comes across it and crackles and pops on the overrun. You can't beat it.
Old 20th June 2016, 21:00

Swifty - Looking good.

I think my nearest castle is the Tower of London, but I'm not sure I'll be allowed to park on the grass near by.

Is that a "Heuer" sticker by the rear arches?

Take care, Paul.
Old 20th June 2016, 22:11

Quote:
Is that a "Heuer" sticker by the rear arches?
Yes it's a Heuer logo.

There's quiet a few castle around about here, so it may become a challenge to position the car in front and take a picture.

Had the car out this evening and caught the front valance again, time to alter it once and for all before it really gets caught and does a lot of damage.
Old 21st June 2016, 20:47

Sorted the front valance out cut about 100mm off the lower edge which has brought it in line with the anti roll bar height from the road surface, hopefully that will be the last of the problems.

Finished the round gear knob and also made another gear stick this time slightly longer to see which length suits the car.

IMG_7021.jpg IMG_7033.jpg

Short stick. Long stick.

IMG_7020.jpg

Well that's it for now see you all soon.

Last edited by swifty; 21st June 2016 at 22:42..
Old 21st June 2016, 21:21

Definitely the longer gear stick, it suits it much better. Nice work.
Old 21st June 2016, 21:33

Roadster is on a distinguished road

I prefer the long stick

The gear knob looks perfect, it must feel better to shift
Old 21st June 2016, 22:07

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Surprised Towed didn't mention the size of your knob, does that fit comfortable to hand?
Old 21st June 2016, 22:11
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

It's not the length of your stick that counts.
It's the smoothness of your knob that matters

That said I like long stick and round knob

Dave
Old 22nd June 2016, 19:07

Very nice.

Is that the last of the finishing touches?

Good luck, Paul.
Old 22nd June 2016, 22:07

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Very nice.

Good luck, Paul.
Nicely back on track
🐵🙈🙉
Old 23rd June 2016, 21:55

Cheers guy's for the feed back.
The general consensus is for the long shaft with smooth ball end which is what i decided to go with.

Quote:
Very nice.

Good luck, Paul.
I don't think i will ever stop tinkering with the car Paul i am always looking for things to make and do plus it's one of those cars that potentially will never be finish.

Today July's issue of Complete Kit Car arrived with the final article on my build, the photos in a old worldly cobbled street look the part and show the car off really well so thanks to the magazine team especially Adam.
Old 3rd July 2016, 21:30

Today i took the car to a local classic car show lined up with other classic's to see what response it got which came back very positive, the car had a lot of interest due to the fact there was nothing else there like it, people kept on telling me that the body shape and overhaul look/finish was different to anything else they had seen.

It looks like i have achieved what i set out to do in that no body was sure what it was, was it a classic race car, is it a Lancia and one guy who loves all motor racing nostalgia from the fifties/sixties was impressed and showed a lot of interest promptly letting me know he visits Goodwood and silverstone for the classics races and said it would look at home on those days, what he did comment on was the detail in various parts sold the car as a fifties model it was the reg that let it down in the game of deception so some work to do there.

IMG_7059.jpg IMG_7062.jpg

One thing that i have learnt is that you don't get much time to look around the show yourself due to all the talking you do with people that want to know more about the car but one positive is i have a few phone numbers of local clubs that i may join up with for the odd run out at the weekends.

IMG_7063.jpg IMG_7064.jpg

Checked this C type jag out which looked to be the genuine article with a lot of patina, very nice looking jag just a shame the cover was on so i was unable to take a picture of the interior which i think always looks great with wear and tear.
One thing i did notice was a couple of stone ping marks splitting the paint surface from underneath on the bonnet wing area which at first i thought was fiberglass but the tap test showed it to be ally, once again nice patina.

Don't know if anybody who read this is near to Croft Motor Racing circuit (DL2 2PL) but on the 6th/7th August there's a 50's nostalgia weekend with historic motor racing along with classic vehicles on display from racing, general and military vehicles. Thought i might contact them to see if i can show my car, the only thing is the closing date for entries has passed a couple of weeks ago so may just have to go along as a paying guest.

If there is anybody attending let me know and we may be able to meet up for a chin wag.
Old 4th July 2016, 09:54

Swifty - As always, your car looks great.

When I looked at ageless plates, they were not cheap.

£651 - http://www.plates4less.co.uk/private...r-plate/851XPC

I know a lot of people have gone for the NI plates which also hide the age.

£135 - http://www.plates4less.co.uk/private...-plate/OIG7648

But I stole an idea from Mister Towed and bought a 1965 "C" reg.
( Unfortunately, I can't get my V5C changed until after my MOT. )

There is a 1964 "B" reg, available for the same money as an NI plate.

£135 - http://www.plates4less.co.uk/private...-plate/PTU454B

Then you just need a good story to explain how it raced in Monte-Carlo in '55, but didn't get registered in the UK until a few years later.

Good luck, Paul.

PS
That Jag looks good too.
Old 4th July 2016, 19:38

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

You could go for a 6 digit Northern Ireland reg. direct from DVLA . Cheaper than a 'proper' dateless reg. and shorter than the cheap Irish ones

http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/nifixed/