Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 1st August 2007, 14:30
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Loom work Looms...

Hi guys, I'm back from holiday and back in the garage.

I haven't done a great deal since getting back, apart from mounting the rad - but I did get the engine loom down from the shelf where it's languished for the past 18 months or so.

A lot of the sheathing on the loom (not the individual cores, but the outer wrapping) is in a pretty bad state - it's breaking up as it's become britle with age.

I'm planning on stripping it all off and re-covering it all - but I'm unsure as to what to use. Should I use non adhesive loom tape, cloth tape, good ole' sticky insulating tape or some sort of split loom? Has anyone else had to do this?

Whatever the general consenus is, Frosts will be getting some money chucked at them I guess....
Available from eBay
Old 1st August 2007, 16:45
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

We used non adhesive loom tape to re wrap ours. In heat critical locations we've added some heat wrap stuff (fibre glass covered in ali and sticky on one side)

CBS sell a huge roll of loom tape I think.

Also too the opportunity to re-route a few things so they fit better in our bay. Most notably the coil.
Old 1st August 2007, 21:56
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Good to see you back in the garage.
I managed to keep all of my loom all in one piece in the engine bay. The bits I did strip inside the car under the dash, I just used ordinary black insulating tape or plain black insulating sleeving.
Vehicle Wiring Products do a great range of sleeving and lots of other useful electrical stuff.

Peter
Old 7th August 2007, 14:13
Enthusiast

Well, I've got the loom tape from CBS, along with a roll of self amalgamating to finish off the ends of the loom tape.

I've also cleaned up the loom somewhat before stripping off the old sheathing.

Thing is, I've got some odd connectors on the end where the large white(ish) connector for the ECU is.

One of them is a three conductor one, and looks factory fit. The other is a double conductor snap together block (male and female ends of a multiway block) but only has one conductor in it. It has a blue wire from one direction, and a brown from the other. This looks a little odd - does / did anyone else have one of these? I'll try and get a photo of it tonight.

I'm tempted to just leave it as is - apart from making a more permenant connection which can be buried under loom tape and forgotton about.
Old 7th August 2007, 14:34
Enthusiast

Not the best of pics (i'll get better ones later)

You can just see the connector on the left hand side of the pic near the nose of the starter motor.
Old 7th August 2007, 14:40
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I'll ask Richard see if he knows
Old 7th August 2007, 19:49
Enthusiast

here's some better pics:

Old 7th August 2007, 21:13
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Can you wprk out what pins these wires go to on the ECU?
Old 7th August 2007, 22:23
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Jason,
I don't recall seeing that on my loom and I have had a quick look at the pictures of my loom before I re-fitted it and can't see anything the same. There is some other loose unconnected connector on my loom about this area which I think are used if you have an automatic gearbox or something like that. It might have been a break point for an immobiliser?
However, it does look like a standard BMW connector, so I would just bind it in the loom tape and forget about it.

Peter
Old 7th August 2007, 22:55
Enthusiast

Rich is on a distinguished road

The 3 pin plastic connector is probably for an accessory. I've had a look through my wiring diagrams and found anything yet.

A brown wire is usually earth, the other plug could be for telling the ECU to do something. Our engine loom was wired up to make the ECU think that the AC was always on, this was just a messy patch job which I un-did. That dropped the RPM down to where it is supposed to be.

We also have an extra connector on our loom, I will have a look tomorrow to see what it looks like compared to yours. I've just tied it back and left it alone.

It may be worth asking on e30zone, forum member called Brianmoooore.
Old 8th August 2007, 12:44
Enthusiast

I've posted on e30zone as per Rich's suggestion. Initial thoughts are that the 3 pin plug is for the OBC - which was fitted to my donor. So I guess I can remove or forget that one.

Still unclear as to the single connector though...

http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=75170
Old 8th August 2007, 13:17
Enthusiast

I had a look at our loom, we do have an extra 3 pin plug near the ECU connector however it look a little different and the colours are
Red/Blue
Green
Brown

Just looking at the big connector, is that not for the ABS rather than the ECU? Our ECU connector has 3 rows of pins and is black. It could be that our donor cars have different wiring depending on the age.

The ABS plug from our donor looks like the one you have there. 2 rows of pins in white. We are no using the ABS so the plug is not in the car. I had a look through old loom to find the ABS plug; it has no extra connectors.
Old 8th August 2007, 13:55
Enthusiast

Yeah, it's an older donor than yours, Rich. Both the ABS and the ECU had the same style plugs on them (2 row multiway like the one in the pics). I believe it's for Motronic 1.1
Old 8th August 2007, 15:02
Enthusiast

Ahh ok, that's probably why our 3 pin connector has different coloured wires.

All i'm going to do with it is tie it back and forget about it, the engine runs fine without anything plugged in.
Old 8th August 2007, 22:20
Enthusiast

Well, that job is officially 'all taped up'.

Certainly makes a difference, and I assume it'll be nice and easy to reinstall the loom now that it's flexible.

It's also nice being able to pick it up without getting black hands!
Old 9th August 2007, 19:53
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

If you haven't already done it.... Best thing to use for re-making the loom is "propper" loom wapping tape which is a stretchy PVC stuff but non- adhesive. Insulating tape is not good to use as after a couple oy years it tends to get all sticky and also the adhesive doesn't last long with the heat from the engine leaving you with a gooey mess.

I used this plus plenty of heat shrink tubing which is wonderfull for all sorts of jobs. All available from Vehicle Wiring Products.

PS - I also have two extra connectors on the loom next to the ECU - but they look nothing like yours! Hope they aren't essential as they don't go anywhere at the moment.

BR

Robin
Old 10th August 2007, 09:22
Enthusiast

Yeah - I used loom tape in the end:

Instead of heatshrink, I used self amalgamating tape to finish of the ends and to reinforce where the loom splits.

As for the other connectors - I ended up nipping them off and terminating the wires in the loom for the three way OBC plug, and the brown - to blue connector was removed and the wires joined with crimp connector. I tried covering the plugs with the loom tape, but it didn't lie very well over them...