Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 30th May 2014, 21:58

mikmiglia is on a distinguished road

All looking neat Paul, also lovely garden by the way Love Mike
Old 31st May 2014, 10:04

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

"Any progress is good progress"
Wise words Paul. that's what I keep telling myself!!
Old 1st June 2014, 21:17

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mike - Cheers. Despite everything taking so long, at least I'm still moving forward.
That garden photo reminds me that some things are worth spending time on to get right.
Finally, do you have any tips for getting fibre glass matting to go around edges?

Scottie - It is only when I think about a deadline that my rate of progress is depressing.
Instead, I must keep my focus on chipping away at the "To Do" list until the car is finished.
Obviously I have no idea when that day will be, as there is still tons to do, but I will get there.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Saturday
We had a very nice family get together yesterday and even though it wasn't very sunny, it was warm enough to sit outside.

Sunday - Part 1:
The fact I still can not seem to get fibreglass matting to go around edges and "stick" is starting to get on my nerves.

So I have now decided to use fibreglass in a number of areas on the rear arches so I can get more practise.

I only mix up 100ml of resin at a time at the moment, as I'm using lots of small sections of matting in different places.

I have continued to build up the repairs section that I've previously been working on.

But I have also started on a few new areas too...

Boot Floor:
The rear tail pipe bracket makes it harder to repair this hole from the "sunny side".

So I am fixing that from underneath.

There isn't an equivalent 'factory' hole on the opposite side of the floor, as a whole rotten section is missing.

But I fixed that is the same way.

Rust Trap:
This section of the arches seems to have been designed with trapping dirt & moisture in mind.

So I dug out a section of my recycled insulating foam and cut that up so that it would fill the gap.

Then I covered the whole lot in fibreglass matting.

As before, this is really an excuse for me to practise different ways of working with fibreglass.

End of Part 1.
Old 1st June 2014, 21:19

Sunday - Part 2:
After leaving this first batch of fibre glass work to dry for a bit, I came back and turned the arches over.

This allowed me to prepare the next round of patching the factory, and small rust, holes.

Before:

During:

After:

I was a little bit braver this time around and each patch actually has two layers of matting over the mesh.

I just made sure the second layer was bigger than the first to ensure a good overlap.

In addition, a short session with the "screwdriver of truth" discovered another hole under some seam sealer.

But this was fixed at the same time as the patches above.

Although, because of the curves involved, I only added a second layer to one edge of the first layer this time around.

While I left that lot to set, I carried on with a few odd jobs.

The first was to cut a couple of mini crush tubes.

Because when I fit the rear arches, the rear frame will sit on top of this section.

So the tubes will sit in here like so.

Then the "feet" for the rear frame can sit on top of the arches.

Well, that is my theory anyway.

I also bent the edges of the modified access panel to give me a tight fit.

All I need to do now is find the original fittings, which are in one of my many boxes.

Then I had a major grinding / sanding session on the fibreglass that had set previously on the "sunny side".

But I didn't get a photo as I turned the arches over to continue on the "under side".

Where I also cleaned up around the areas that I had patched earlier.

Then I mixed up some fibreglass filler and covered all the holes.

Then I did my final round of fibreglass work for the day to add a second layer of matting to the patches on this side.

This included the extension of the boot floor.

And the corner that I had used the insulating foam in.

All in all, a very productive day.

Take care, Paul.
Old 1st June 2014, 21:30

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quick question that sprung to mind based on my experiences with SWMBO's VW campervan-o-rust.

Are you treating any bare metal with Krust or something similar before you glass over it?

The reason i ask is that I've been finding and cutting out areas on the VW where previous Hippies had simply glassed over bare metal and over time the original metal had carried on rusting under the glass?
Old 1st June 2014, 21:50

I have tried that one Dave, and found that the paste does not adhere to the metal, but sticks to the Kurust layer, then comes off with a thin layer of Kurust stuck to it.
I have had much better results roughing the metal up to a pure un-rusty clean state, then putting the paste straight on, that way I have found it works a lot better for me, and I have never had the paste come off yet.

Don't know if this will help you Paul? Works for me though.
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:29

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I know on the camper I'm replacing the old glass/filler/rust with actual real metal, but i didn't know if the Krust or similar created a coat layer or actually impregnated the metal.

Based on your experiences it sounds like Paul is doing it the best way
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:36

Dave & Scottie - Thanks for the replies, all advice & tips are most welcome.

I've tried to be pretty good at cutting out / treating / repairing the rust as I go along.
I think I'm on my 3rd (or 4th) small bottle of Kurust and the treatment started when the body shell arrived.

I've dug these photos out from Mar.13 when I first started working on the arches.
All the bare metal you can see here was treated and a few more areas since.

And I was still topping up the Kurust a couple of weeks ago.

Having said that, I'd have to admit that I may have missed the odd spot here and there.

But, touch wood, I am think the vast majority of the remaining metal work is now pretty solid.

Although given my wholesale rebuilding of my bulkhead with new / recycled metal it does seem a shame to be using fibreglass.

However, I clearly need the practise before I pluck up the courage to 'glass the door skins to the body shell.

Consolidation Work:
Whilst I am working on many different areas of the arches at the moment, some sections are now complete.
( Other areas need extra fibreglass matting or some filler. )

So I took some time to finish tidying up the "sunny side".

Then put some primer on.

While that was drying I turned the arches over and sorted out the underneath.

The primer does make it easier to see the two main repairs to the arches.

You will note I made no attempt to continue the "edges" along the bottom of the wheel arch & just kept a smooth (ish) join instead.

I also primed the areas where filler was added to the underside of the mesh / fibreglass patches.

The foam covered area is also easier to see with the primer on.

Note:
I will clean up the resin "dribbles" later on, as I still want to add a bit of filler to this section.

End of Part 1.
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:38

More Fibreglass Work:
Next I turned my attention to the other "water trap" which is a bit deeper than the other side.
( Due to the amount of rusty metal I had cut away from the other side. )

But if you followed the edge beneath my fingers around you would find this.

Which I needed to add some mesh to in order to build back up a nice edge.

Note:
The arrow is just to remind me where I patched a small hole on the other side.
( It is so small I actually missed it yesterday when I was adding filler. )

Then it was time to cut up some more foam and stuff it into the gap.

Before covering that in fibreglass matting.

I also started to repair the missing edge.

You will see that there is now some filler where the arrow is pointing.

I also added filler to the first foam covered area.

And the inside of one of the edges I'd repaired.

I also had to re-do one of the patches where my grinder "dug in" when I giving it a "light skim".

At this point, other chores went against me, so the cover went on and I left things to dry / set.

With a bit of luck I might be able to do a bit more this evening.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 2nd June 2014, 20:18

Evening Session:
Managed to tidy up the filler I applied earlier and get some more etch primer on.

Note: I am not going to lose too much sleep over the finish of something that will be underneath the car.

In addition, most Sammios / Ribbles are open to the elements at the rear, so something is surely better than nothing.

Then I tidied up the fibreglass I had laid over the insulating foam.

Before adding another layer of fibreglass matting over the top.

Just need to wait for that to set a bit before I can pull the cover over for the night.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 2nd June 2014, 21:40

Hi Dave, I am sure Paul is doing things right. His build is cracking.

Kurust is supposed to penetrate the metal, but in my experience, I have at later stages had paint or filler/ paste actually come off the "metal" with a layer of whatever kurust does to the rust stuck to it.

So it was not binding to the metal, rather just coating it I think.
Still have not found any better stuff though, and have used it for donkeys years!
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:59

Scottie - I'm not always sure I am doing the right thing, but I am trying my best.

Another Short Session:
Well it took a long time for my workshop "roof" to stop leaking this morning.

And with a full day of "leaks" forecast for tomorrow, I opted for more consolidation work.

I tidied up the foam covered area I worked on yesterday and primed part of it.

But I left the edge / corner that I still need to add some more fibreglass matting to untouched.

Then I put some black paint on the areas that were already primed.

Note:
In this last photo you can also see the mesh I cut out for the final edge I need to repair.

At this point is was really warm and sunny and the primer I'd applied earlier was dry.

Now normally I wait 24 hours before painting it, but it was only when I got to the raw fibreglass section I remembered the primer was fresh.

So this section is also black.

This is what the arches are looking like now.

Please excuse all the dust on the sections I that I haven't been working on and didn't waste any time cleaning properly.

Then it was another round of fibre glassing, starting with the final layers of matting on this corner.

And finishing with the start of the layering process on this corner.

By now the temperature had dropped quite a bit and the sky looked like this.

So I added a couple of "spacers" to the arches.

And stuck the cover back on.

My timing was good (for a change), as the rain came hammering down shortly afterwards.

So until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 3rd June 2014, 17:39

It must rain a lot on Easter Island!! :-)
Old 4th June 2014, 16:16

Scottie - Well it is certainly raining a lot here today.

One of those days
The weather meant that working outside was a non starter, so I did a few other bits and pieces...

When I was painting yesterday I noticed that the hand brake pivot bracket looked like it has been pulled out of position.
( I think it has always been like that, I just hadn't picked up on the problem. )

So last night I went back through Mac's build and found this photo of his hand brake panel.

To me, it looks like this bracket should be "square" if that makes sense.

Eventually I remembered that I actually have a "spare" hand brake panel sitting in the shed which I dug out today.

Whilst the bracket itself had come away, the panel it was mounted on definitely sits "flush".

Whilst I don't want to make more work for myself, I'd rather fix this now if it is going to be a problem in the future.

I assume it would be OK just to hammer the panel back into position and weld along the edge?

As clearly sorting this out with the arches fitted to the chassis would be a complete nightmare.

I searched my pile of boxes in the Summer House looking for the fittings for my modified rear arches panel.

Whilst I couldn't find them, I did find my box of new self tapping support brackets and some new screws.

These look like they will do the job, although I'm sorry the photos are so blurred.

I thought I'd better double check my photos and found one from the second hand body shell.

It looks like it was missing a couple of screws when I got it anyway.

Then I thought I'd go back and check my original body shell and found this photo.

Whilst this seems to use two screw heads and two bolt heads, I'm sure four screws will be fine.

I plan to seal around the edges too, so the panel will not be going anywhere.

However, I did notice something else in the photo above that made my heart sink...

One of the "factory" holes that I have just sealed was clearly there for the fuel hard line!!!

Thankfully another old photo has saved me from myself.

This was an earlier test fitting of the wheel arches and the rear frame.

The Spitfire petrol tank is no longer in the factory position as the framework brings it forward.

So many moons ago, I bought some flexible fuel hose to run from the petrol tank to the hard line.

My original plan was to cut the fuel hard line so that it finished below the wheel arches, rather than enter into the "boot".

Clearly somewhere along the line I had forgotten all about this as I haven't finalised an exit point for the flexible hose.

Thankfully, looking at the photo above, there appears to be enough space between the arches and framework at the front.

So that is another thing to add to the "To Do" list.

Do despite doing almost nothing on the car today, I've actually managed to go backwards in places.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 4th June 2014, 18:29

Welcome to the club Paul! I've done that a few times!
Old 5th June 2014, 20:16

Scottie - Thankfully I have mainly taken steps forward today.

Morning:
First job was to hammer the hand brake pivot panel as straight as I could get it.

I also cleaned up the metal as best I could for welding, but there were some hard to reach places.

Note: I had refitted the bolt to ensure nothing got twisted when I was hammering / welding.

I couldn't get the welder in behind the bracket, but, in addition to welding the panel, I added extra welds to the edges of the bracket.

Then I slapped some fibreglass filler over the welds and across the edges of the panel the welder couldn't reach.

I then continued to use the filler on the final areas of the underside of the arches.

Including the two corners that had been fibre glassed previously.

Plus a small hole in boot floor.

While that was all setting, I turned the arches back over so I could work on the "sunny side".

After checking the modified panel I had to dig out some slightly smaller clips.

Then I tested the screws to make sure they would hold the panel in place.

I will not be fitting this panel until the arches are on the chassis.

As the "hole" allows me to centralise the arches over the suspension / lowering block bolts.

Next job was to tidy up the fire damage from welding the panel on the other side.

After cleaning up the mess I got some etch primer on.

Previously I had taken a section out of this strip of metal attached to the wheel arch.

But one side was coming away, so I decided to trim both sides to get rid of the upper section completely.

Then it was another round of applying filler.

I was going to add another layer of fibreglass in this corner, but it was quicker to use the filler instead.

The other corner had the extra layer of matting, but just need a small "topping up" in some areas.

Finally there was some more topping up to do on the fibreglass on the boot floor area.

At this point I just left everything to dry / set rather than start something else at the front of the house.

End of part 1.
Old 5th June 2014, 20:16

Early Afternoon:
I left the arches sunny side up and sanded down all the filler I'd applied in the morning & sprayed on some etch primer.

It was during this process that I discovered I'd missed adding filler to the holes next to tail pipe bracket

So both sides got a small blob of filler.

I really think that is all of the filling and patching work finally completed

Then I carefully turned the arches over so I could clean up and primer the under side.

Once again I just left everything to dry / set.

Late Afternoon:
I wanted to give a second coat to the areas I had painted black on Tuesday.

But in the end, the warmth of the sunshine meant I got carried away and started painting over the stuff I'd just primed too.

Early Evening:
Turned the arches over again!

Cleaned up and primed the last bits of filler next to the tail pipe support bracket.

Started to give the sunny side it first coat of black.

But then disaster struck as I ran out of both time and paint.

Late Evening:
I had to pick my daughter up from her friend's house and even Halfords was closed by the time I got back.

So I'll pick up some paint in the morning and finish off the painting then.

At least I managed to get quite a bit done today, so I've got to be happy with that.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 5th June 2014, 21:16

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Good progress as usual Paul, so now the work on this piece is about done what's next on the list?
Mac
Old 6th June 2014, 17:40

Mac - Cheers.
The next big job is joining these arches to the rear frame work.
Although based on today's efforts that still seems a long way off at the moment.

Another one of those days...
I picked up some more black paint this morning and finished off the "sunny side" of the rear arches

While that was drying I finally bit the bullet and headed to the front drive.

It was two weeks ago when I applied the seam sealer to the rear frame work.

But this was the first time I'd checked it and it was not good.

It had stuck in some places, but not others, and had also "lifted" away from the metal on some edges.

I must confess I was having a major sense of humour failure as I dug all of this stuff out.

It took ages to remove it all and in the end I was still just back where I started.

Thankfully I saw a bit of the D-Day anniversary during lunch and that gave me some perspective.

No one has been shooting at me during this build and I am unlike to die working on it either ( Touch Wood ).

Note to self - I must find some time to watch Band of Brothers again.

Before I returned to the rear frame I went back to the rear arches.

I was planning to use the bed liner stuff that Mac used on his build.

( Note to Mac - My offer to buy your "left overs" still stands. )

But I am going to try "normal" stone chip spray paint out of a can just for convenience.

I sprayed the underside of the arches and this stuff dries a nice "matt" black.

So I thought I'd wait until the whole thing was dry before taking a photo.

Obviously I only remembered this idea when I can to write this up and the arches look like this.

Then it was back to the front drive where I mixed up some fibreglass filler.

I had to do lots of smaller batches as it was very hot out and it was setting quickly.

I left the front edge as I decided to cover this is fibreglass matting rather than "stuff" filler in the narrow gap.

After a couple of layers of matting were added, it looked like this.

I need to do a little bit of work to finish this off, but it is mainly done.

Given the heat it didn't take long for everything to be touch dry.

That way I could get the frame out of my wife's parking space.

Although I did leave a dust sheet over the top to protect the cover from fibreglass strands.

The only good news is that the rest of the family have had a tough week so there is a curry on its way.

So I'll end on a positive note, despite the sealer set back, I've still make progress.

Although I will be very glad to see the end of the work required on these two big pieces.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 6th June 2014, 17:54

I don't know whether this will help Paul, but before I apply stuff like that, I always clean the area carefully with paint thinners, this ensures no grease or residue is left on the work and usually gets good adhesion results.

I know a lot of people do not like thinners for various reasons, but I swear by it and have done so for a very long time.