Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 27th July 2017, 19:08

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

just use flikr
Old 29th July 2017, 13:19
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Photobucket pictures are now back following a fix that has been found that Paul L informed me about (cheers Paul)

Don't know how long this will last as PB will probably get wise to it so I wouldn't recommend hosting your images with them if you want to link pics to forums.

At least the pictures can be recovered from the forum if you had trouble getting them from your PB account.

Cheers, John
Old 29th July 2017, 13:26

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Well done that man!

I had been deleting the photobucket pictures and replacing them with the same pictures that are now stored on Flickr. Trouble is that once the originals have been deleted it's hard to remember what picture was originally there.
I do think Flickr is quicker and easier to use that photobucket, it always seemed to take ages.
Old 29th July 2017, 14:19

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Great news ....well done ...
Old 29th July 2017, 14:25

Ambitious_TAS is on a distinguished road

Seconded - what a pity this had to happen at all. Good work!
Old 19th August 2017, 14:17

A question for the collective - when you discuss wheel spacers the impression I get is a set of solid aluminium billets, often expensive and imported from overseas or else from Canleys. Would these items (which have appeared on eBay) work equally as well?

Old 19th August 2017, 16:42

IanA is on a distinguished road

A neighbour of mine was pedalling his race prepared Puma around Castle Combe last weekend when he clipped a kerb at about 75mph. The offside front wheel came off- all 4 studs sheared and he met Mr Armco, then some nice nurses in the ambulance. Luckily just a hurty shoulder now and a £400 bill for a new hub, front wings, headlight and labour to fit.
On checking, he found that his car is the only one in the series using spacers (solid alloy with longer one-piece studs in his case)- although probably not now. The wheel nuts had been correctly torqued and checked again just before the event.
Just saying.
Old 19th August 2017, 17:28

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

This universal style isn't the best design.
1/ The adaptor studs often have to be over tightened or worse, left a bit slack so they line up with the slot in the spacer.
2/ The adaptor studs can be of dubious quality.
3/ The central hole in the spacer is oversize so the nut and studs not only clamp the wheel to the hub but also carry the weight of the car.

They will do the job to increase the track of the car but you wouldn't want to push a car to its limits in the corners, the spacer set would be the first component to fail.

If you have to use spacers buy a set designed to fit your hub and wheel combination.
Old 19th August 2017, 19:19

Well of course - but one of the key issues in the A352 build is the need for a set of spacers to fill out the wheel arches. I also have no intention of putting something like this into competition racing wither. Wider wheels will only go so far. But appreciate the comments, thank you.
Old 20th August 2017, 09:21

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Its worth paying a little more when it comes to components like this. From an engineering and safety point of view , universal spacers are not the best solution. I have even seen people double up these type of spacers to go even wider which is a bigger no no. At least when you go with a bespoke spacer you can get the exact width you require and get it to fit so it runs true.
Old 20th August 2017, 10:28

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

I second what Lucky says ...I have used those spacers before , but they are not great ...for all the reasons above ....

I would spend the extra and get the right item ..its not just YOUR safety ..a spinning out of control wheel thats let go , could do a lot of damage to that line of school kids you are driving past when it parts company too ...

Custom spacers give you the chance to change your wheel pcd too ..giving you a wider range of wheel choices ...
Old 21st August 2017, 13:38

ned is on a distinguished road

Try Freaky Parts , i used them for hub centric spacers on my GTO and found them to be of good quality at a reasonable price
Old 23rd August 2017, 07:03

Susiraja is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
A neighbour of mine was pedalling his race prepared Puma around Castle Combe last weekend when he clipped a kerb at about 75mph. The offside front wheel came off- all 4 studs sheared and he met Mr Armco, then some nice nurses in the ambulance. Luckily just a hurty shoulder now and a £400 bill for a new hub, front wings, headlight and labour to fit.
On checking, he found that his car is the only one in the series using spacers (solid alloy with longer one-piece studs in his case)- although probably not now. The wheel nuts had been correctly torqued and checked again just before the event.
Just saying.
For the record I'm not a fan of spacers. When it comes to racing the wheels studs get more easily tired than in normal use. The wheels come off and then back on so many times that the wheel nuts get flex even when using correct torque. For example when buying a factory rally car it has a schedule for replacing the wheel nuts. Even then there have been cases when they have gotten tired and just snapped.