Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 1st February 2016, 20:34

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

That's exactly right Paul, I fitted those as the inertia gives the free movement for junctions etc but the classic look, unfortunately haven't used them on the road yet but happy with them so far.
To avoid mounting to the floor I welded in plates on the spyder frame at the backside if the fuel tank, the inertia reel is ample length for this and still has free play as intended
Old 1st February 2016, 20:41

swifty is on a distinguished road

Cheers Paul, i think they are Securon 700, ill check them out as they may be the answer.

Psycho pops Do you know the rough measurements from the waist belt to the push button connector nearest the inertia reel.

Last edited by swifty; 1st February 2016 at 20:43..
Old 1st February 2016, 20:58

I will measure tomorrow and let you know. pops
Old 1st February 2016, 21:10

Cheers Pops, i am trying to see where i can mount the inertia reel possibly behind the seats, so it will be handy to know roughly where the rear push button latch will be when seated in the car.

One option is to mount the reel on the floor or very near the floor which will require some sort of support bracket for the belt to pass through directly behind and level with the seat top to prevent crushing of the spine in a collision, the other alternative is to cut a slot level with the seat top in the rear bulkhead and mount the reel behind the bulkhead that is if room is permitting, Mr T has something similar i believe with his standard 3 point inertia seat belt.

Last edited by swifty; 2nd February 2016 at 07:04..
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:34

Measured at its fullest extent

102cm belt to buckle at top

Will eventually exit at bulkhead, at the moment the buckle doesn't exit bulkhead but movement is adequate, may open up slot to allow free passage and further movement for bigger drivers..
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:28

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I initially tried my all-ways acting three point inertia reel belts here -

But it quickly became obvious that the body wasn't going to fit over them without adding a bulge, so I moved them to the Cobra style centre mount, where they work just fine -

Or you could buy a pre 66 donor and do without...
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:03

Pops Thanks for the info it will be very helpful in working out what can be done, Cheers.

Mr T I had wondered why you had center mounted the inertia reels so thanks for that info and if i can't get the race style 3 point to fit then i will look at the standard 3 point belts.
Old 3rd February 2016, 06:17

The decision for me was very much about using the car on the road, not the race track:

On the track you need to be fixed into the car as solidly as possible, mostly to keep your hands and feet on the controls when you're airborne over crests, and partly to hold you solidly inside the shell if you roll it at 100mph.

In a road car you need to be able to twist round to look over your shoulder when changing lanes on dual carriageways, you need to be able to lean forward to see oncoming traffic at junctions and you are most likely to need restraining in a comparatively low-speed traffic shunt at around 20 to 30mph (other crash speeds are available, subject to driver status, just ask WCA over on the Tribute forum...)

Unlike Phil J, who's a committed track man, I never intended to put my car on a circuit, hence the road belts.

Here's my car in its natural environment. Yep, it's for showing off!

Hope that adds something to the debate.
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:19

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I'd agree with the central location as i ended up fitting my Sammio ones in the same place after a bit of tinkering.
At the time I'd been reading the IVA requirements for fitting seat belts in 7's and I decided on a slightly different solution to Towed's as i came across those weld-on threaded mountings.

Old 5th February 2016, 18:13

Ive gone for a pair of Securon 700 3 point harnesses which hopefully should be here early next week, just have to figure out where to mount etc. Thanks for the advice guys.

After much debate Ive also gone for a quick release steering wheel mount for two reasons one for easy access in and out of the car and secondly a good anti theft deterrent, it was the access issue that made my mind up as there's very little room between the seat and steering wheel what with not getting any younger either. The anodizing company has been on the phone to say the parts are ready so next week i will pop over to collect then start to fit the bright work which i am looking forward to start.

IMG_6352.jpg IMG_6354.jpg

The original steering wheel boss in the right hand image will have to be cut down and an ally adapter made to suit the old boss and new quick release mount.

I had originally thought the quick release boss would mount directly onto the top of the original boss and the steering wheel on to the quick release boss, but this idea throws the steering wheel too far off the dash so to keep the spline part of the original boss that fits the steering column means cutting the center section out to keep the steering wheel close to the dash as originally intended.

It will simply mean turning an adapter disc to suit both parts and drilling the spline part to bolt to the new adapter plate or at least that's what i intend to do.

Will post pictures once finished.

Also found this beautiful example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ift3BkNwZLo

Last edited by swifty; 5th February 2016 at 21:18..
Old 6th February 2016, 07:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post

Also found this beautiful example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ift3BkNwZLo
Nice.
Old 6th February 2016, 07:53

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Nice.
+1

I hadn't realised just how far forward the doors swing open.

But the key question is what is the best style of flat cap to wear backwards while driving?

Ebay has thrown up a world of Gatsy, Bakerboy, Newsboy, Peaky Blinders, etc.

Swifty - Sorry for the thread hi-jack and I'm looking forward to seeing your shiny bits go back on.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 6th February 2016, 19:36

EL PRIMER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post

Or you could buy a pre 66 donor and do without...
Pre-64 I think
Old 6th February 2016, 20:48

1965 Britain requires the fitting of seat belt anchorage points in new cars.

1967 Britain requires belts to be fitted to front seats of new cars. The law was later changed to require post-1965 cars to be fitted with front belts retrospectively.

Pops!
Old 7th February 2016, 19:52

The seat belts arrived yesterday so today Ive been working out where and how to mount them. There's little room directly behind the seats as the fuel tank is mounted just where the ideal position would be so at the moment Ive gone with mounting the inertia real down near the floor directly behind each seat bringing the belt up and through a bracket ill machine up out of ally this next week, this will bring the belts level with the top of the seats and prevents pressure on the spine in a collision.

fa.jpg

The red line shows the travel of the belt and the green square indicates the bracket position i need to make.

IMG_6355.jpg

One of the belts bought form Amazon, they sell them as one but the description states a pair so if you argue the toss you end up with two belts for the price of one, don't know how long they will leave the description after admitting the error so will more than likely change the product description very soon.

Last edited by swifty; 7th February 2016 at 19:56..
Old 12th February 2016, 19:22

Parts arrived back from the anodizes but i must say i prefer to see the bare machined ally finish, it just looks better.

IMG_6356.jpg

Made a little progress this week with the seat belt brackets.

IMG_6360.jpg

My thought is to bolt through the top box section behind the rear bulk head, welding in crush tubes for the bolts to pass through and bolt to a 10mm spread plate at the rear of the box section, this way i hope to achieve maximum security in the event of a collision. The section where the belt passes through has a 3mm chamfer to prevent any chaffing of the belts when in use.

IMG_6358.jpg IMG_6359.jpg

Bracket loosely in place above the seat, its looks to be the solution but i will know better once the inertia reel is fastened to the lower box section near the floor, need to make sure there's enough belt movement before the back catch meets the ally bracket.

Well that's it for now see you all soon.
Old 13th February 2016, 06:39

phil9 is on a distinguished road

nice work.....
Old 14th February 2016, 19:18

If anybody is waning in their build then watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0eIVfr5Dck to get the juices flowing. I've watched it a number of times now and its never boring.
Old 18th February 2016, 17:47

Bought a period dash horn button made from Bakelite as were the originals.

IMG_6357.jpg

Originally i had made a steering wheel horn button but now that Ive gone down the road with a quick release steering wheel Ive had to redesign the wheel mount and add a dash mount horn button for ease.

Just about finished the re-designed mount so will post pictures this weekend.

Last edited by swifty; 18th February 2016 at 18:27..
Old 18th February 2016, 19:06

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Im looking forward to seeing pictures of the whole car.

You've been teasing us with the details

The end is in sight and summer will be back soon