Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 11th July 2012, 12:19

AcC8braman is on a distinguished road
Default Using V5 from a scrapped or SORN car

Hi Guys,

Hopefully a quick question.

I am going down the route of age related plate for my Countach.

Now I have the opportunity of purchasing one of two renault gearboxes/transaxles.

One is from an already scrapped car - can this still be used?

The other one, which is SORN, but he cannot find the V5C for it at the mo.

What do you think I should do, go for the one which is already scrapped or is this not allowed?

Thanks

Steve
Available from eBay
Old 12th July 2012, 12:29

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

I suggest you look at http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...le/DG_10014246

Note that your car will be a "kit conversion" and you need to be able to prove that 2 major items came from one donor car to get an age related plate.
Old 12th July 2012, 20:39

Thanks Chris,

I understand that I need two major components, gearbox and axle, for me.

My question then is if I buy a car that is SORN, do I have to reg it in my name and SORN it again till I reg the new car?
Old 13th July 2012, 06:52

I'm not 100% sure on that one, but in theory if you buy the car you should become the registered keeper. Then you may have to re-sorn it.

After that you need to remove what you need, and I suggest you take loads of photos to provide evidence should there be any query. If possible photograph any visible serial numbers to prove continuity. After that you can take off more bits and flog them on ebay. Make a copy of the log book and then get the remains scrapped.

You don't have to have the remains of the car when attempting to register the new one. For me there was a gap of 7 years between scrapping the Seirra and registering the Marlin.
Old 13th July 2012, 14:04
Kit Car Dreamer

martin butler is on a distinguished road

Dvla are hotting up on cars that are not properly registered, when you go to register it you will either be asked to have your car examined when the vehicle will be checked to ensure it matches what the log book states, if not it will be taken off the road and you will have to IVA it or be told that because its heavily modified you will need to IVA it

any registration you may have will be invalid if you have to IVA it, and you might end up with a Q plate

You can not use an identity that has been scrapped and reported to DVLA as scrapped, if you use the identity of a car thats on SORN , you will once you re register it have to have it examined and if your Vin does not match the V5 its IVA route
This has happened because of people buying up old kit cars , scrapping them and using the registration instead of putting their car in for Iva
Old 13th July 2012, 14:10

If you are building a car from a kit and not declaring it as re-bodied (like the Sammio builds) then the only correct order is:

1. Build it
2. IVA it
3. Apply for new registration from DVLA. Then argue with DLVA if it should be Q, Age related, or current registration.

What you can't do unless you want to get into deep doo-doo is to use an old V5.
Old 13th July 2012, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin butler View Post
Dvla are hotting up on cars that are not properly registered, when you go to register it you will either be asked to have your car examined when the vehicle will be checked to ensure it matches what the log book states, if not it will be taken off the road and you will have to IVA it or be told that because its heavily modified you will need to IVA it

any registration you may have will be invalid if you have to IVA it, and you might end up with a Q plate

You can not use an identity that has been scrapped and reported to DVLA as scrapped, if you use the identity of a car thats on SORN , you will once you re register it have to have it examined and if your Vin does not match the V5 its IVA route
This has happened because of people buying up old kit cars , scrapping them and using the registration instead of putting their car in for Iva
Sorry, I wasn't clear, I know I have to IVA as I have a new chassis and body, I am trying to claim the use of the gearbox and transaxle from a donor to get enough points to use the donors reg and have it re reg'ed.

Luckily the Renault has a transaxle
Old 28th July 2012, 19:04

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

If it is SORN and you register as it's owner you do need to sorn it yourself (no big deal anyway) or you might have problems with the Dvla when you do tax it. I did with a Landrover I rebuilt. Eventually I got away unscathed.