Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 9th March 2014, 23:19
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road
Default Batteries

My lead acid has pretty much had it after one too many discharges. Currently using a Bosch same model as from the donor car.

Is anyone using a deep cycle with their M20?
Available from eBay
Old 10th March 2014, 08:37
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

The problem with deep cycle batteries is that they tend to have less cold cranking ability.

I re-vitalized my battery when I knackered it by letting it go completely flat one winter by using a Ctek charger. It's been fine ever since. The Ctek chargers are expensive but still cheaper than buying a decent new battery. And you can leave them connected all winter as a trickle charger.

Robin
Old 10th March 2014, 20:02
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
The problem with deep cycle batteries is that they tend to have less cold cranking ability.

I re-vitalized my battery when I knackered it by letting it go completely flat one winter by using a Ctek charger. It's been fine ever since. The Ctek chargers are expensive but still cheaper than buying a decent new battery. And you can leave them connected all winter as a trickle charger.

Robin
I bought a Ctek (after Robin suggested them previously) and it is good.
(Can't restore a dead one though...!)
Old 10th March 2014, 23:02
Enthusiast

Is this the one?

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS%205.0

CCA does concern me on deep cycles, from the car audio world people tend to run split charge with them only running amps off the deep cycle - not overly practical in a light weight car, plus it doesn't need that much continuous power!

The bosch is still OK. If I charge it then it stays OK for a while, just takes less time now before it does go flat again.
Old 11th March 2014, 12:59
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

The model range has moved on - I have the MXS 3600 one up from most basic at the time, but works well using pulse charge to restore a flattened battery.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Is this the one?

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS%205.0

CCA does concern me on deep cycles, from the car audio world people tend to run split charge with them only running amps off the deep cycle - not overly practical in a light weight car, plus it doesn't need that much continuous power!

The bosch is still OK. If I charge it then it stays OK for a while, just takes less time now before it does go flat again.
Old 11th March 2014, 13:32
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Gosh - what a choice there is now! Mine simply has three settings Car, Bike and Winter.

Still impressed with it. It even works well on the small lead acid battery (less than 5 amp/hours) that I use to power an old electro-mecanical master clock. (With conventional chargers it's easy to overcharge a small battery with disastrous results.)

Robin
Old 12th March 2014, 21:56

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

I have one of those Patrick and you have the choice of using the crocodile clips,which is a pain to unclip all the time or connect the included connectors that are left in situ when you want to drive the car. The clips are designed to make it impossible to cross connect them. Always monitors the condition and adjusts accordingly. Leave it connected all the time.
Expensive but good
Old 14th March 2014, 18:32
Enthusiast

Thanks all - looks like it will be the best solution.