Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 26th February 2008, 21:59
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Angry New approval tests coming?

I saw this over on PH'ds.

Anyone building need to get a move on just in case..........

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/loss-of-the-sva-test.html

"The proposal is that it (the SVA) will be replaced with IVA. However there are no copies available for inspection nor is any public consultation needed as it will come into force due to the signing of the EU (non constitution) Treaty. This means it will simply enter our Statutes with no input from our own Government or, more specifically, the people it purports to represent.

Enquiries have shown that the IVA has been looked at by VOSA and that there are currently some ‘showstoppers’ that would effectively stop home building, or modifying, as most cars would be unable to comply. For instance, the IVA would require ALL vehicles to be fitted with ABS and that the system should be certified, by the manufacturer, as being suitable for its application! "

quite worrying for the whole kit car industry?
Available from eBay
Old 26th February 2008, 23:25
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

I think its too early to say at the moment for sure. I get the feeling there is a lot of scaremongering going on, but nothing based on facts yet.

If you took what is stated on that website then it could be very bad, not just for the kit car industry but the whole aftermarket industry, covering any petrolhead activity. Thats a huge industry, I can't see legislation getting through that would effectively wipe this out.

I hope all that comes of it is an improvement/refinement of SVA and if that then brings in modified cars then so be it (as long as its clear what modifications you can and can't do - I'm guessing structural and emissions)

When SVA was introduced there was a big hoo haa about it, a bit of a panic if you will but I think it improved the perception of the industry. I also thought VOSA (VIA back then) were very fair about the whole thing. I hope they will be again over future plans.

Will keep a close eye on things

John
Old 26th February 2008, 23:45
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

I think I better get a move on, just in case.

However, if I'm not done by 2009, I don't think i'll ever be finished!