Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 2nd April 2014, 16:16

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

They are looking really great and the quality just keeps on improving. The lip for the screen is very neat, and you have done with the front tub what I am planning to do, i.e. rear of the wheel arches as part of the main body.

Well done, chaps, for giving the project the attention that it deserves.

I so wish I had delayed buying my bodywork!
Old 2nd April 2014, 17:19

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
... The Primrose Yellow car is a Pilot with a Navigator bonnet...
D'Oh!

I was so busy looking at the photos that I didn't take in the words properly.

It was only a few days ago that I thought Micky1Mo's indicators in the grille approach was the easiest place to fit the indicators.

But the more I look at #274, the more I like it.

Plus if the bonnet will fit a standard Spitfire 1500 without any scoops, even better.

( I haven't reached the stage when my Spitfire bumper brackets can "fall off" yet. )

Good luck, Paul.
Old 3rd April 2014, 08:23

Mike65 is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy,

Do I understand it correctly, that in the future buyers from West Europe, so the mainland, are able to order directly by Rene Kummer in Cologne? Does this also means that they can order kits from all the different models in Cologne, or only turn key cars?
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:31

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike,

The deal with Rene is currently based around turnkey cars as he has the network needed for German registration and is working to establish the delivery methodology (Buying a car through Rene would be costed as delivered and German Registered).

For kits alone, we are currently dealing direct from Ribble HQ as delivery would be no different than going through Rene.

It could, in future, expand to us holding a small stock in Cologne but that's a little way off as yet.

If you need a quote for delivery, don't hesitate to PM me with your address details and I'll get some numbers together.

Cheers
Old 3rd April 2014, 18:55

EL PRIMER is on a distinguished road

Good work chaps , the bodywork looks like its reached the level it deserved....that blue looks fantastic by the way.
Old 3rd April 2014, 19:56

swifty is on a distinguished road

The salvador blue looks fantastic, look forward to seeing some photos of the body on a chassis. The way the side drop down sections of the bonnet is done is also a good move along with a bolt on system, you are certainly thinking on ways to improve the navigator and i can only praise your customer care not like another competitor. I look forward to meeting up at Stoneleigh and hope you have a finished spitfire based navigator with you.

Keep up the progress, you are moving in the right direction.
Old 4th April 2014, 09:36

Thanks Swifty. I must admit I really do like the Salvador Blue, though I was a little skeptical when it was first ordered (Same as the Pale primrose Yellow which has now become my 'new' favourite)
We had a good meeting the other week and pencilled in some major improvements to the range. Some of which I will be putting in place straight away and others will take a little time.
The next Navigator, Turnkey 003 which now looks like this:

will have some modification to the cockpit shape along with bulkhead rake to allow the usual bucket seats to fit without restricting legroom so I will keep updating that build as it will interest future builders.

Another thought is that the current screen base design is rather 'work heavy' with fitting and filling so I'm looking for a 'bolt in' design that would still look good, fit with the period but only need slots cut into the tub to allow extensions to pass through and bolt on to the frame (not unlike the fixing for early Spitfires and MG Midgets).

As far as Customer service goes, we do try hard to keep a high level of support. We can't get it right every time but when we do get it wrong, it's a genuine mistake and we do whatever we can to put things right. We appreciate and thank you for your comments. It would be great to meet you again at Stoneleigh for a chat and a beer (or before if you fancy popping in so we can 'show and tell' with our current cars in the workshop)
Old 4th April 2014, 10:10

Andy , just pm'ed you with some screen information.
Old 4th April 2014, 10:48

Many thanks EP. I'll have a google and get back to you once I've seen the shapes. Sounds like a good deal and thanks again for the help
Old 4th April 2014, 16:07

AndyP85 is on a distinguished road

I love the Salvador Blue Photo's don't do it any justice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL PRIMER View Post
Good work chaps , the bodywork looks like its reached the level it deserved....that blue looks fantastic by the way.
Old 4th April 2014, 19:13

CarNoob is on a distinguished road

credit to you the improved cars are looking great
Old 16th April 2014, 00:15

AndyP85 is on a distinguished road

Hi folks,

I thought I'd share with you the latest images of Pilot #274 that were taken yesterday (14th) whilst in the sun before heading off for M.o.T

First we start with my usual Facebook "I discovered a body!" joke with AndyP57

It will be a shame to see this car go to Germany as I adore it so much, the colour has really rubbed off on me!

Until next time

AndyP85
Old 16th April 2014, 06:53

Paul L is on a distinguished road

AndyP85 - Thanks for the extra photos, the car looks great.

But it would really be a big help if you could take the following photos for me before it leaves for Germany.
- Bonnet hinge set up / arrangement
- Wiring route for headlights & indicators around inside of bonnet
- How do you access the mounting bolts for the side mirrors?
- How is the grille mounted / fixed in place?
- What did you use to cover the hand brake cable?

Cheers, Paul.

PS
I am definitely going to copy the way the front indicators are mounted.
Old 16th April 2014, 07:36

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

That's very nice Andy I hope your German customer is blown away by it. Good luck with the MOT, I'm sure it'll fly through and it'd be nice to hear an update regarding the customer getting it through the TUV test.

I love the Lancia D24 esque dash btw.

What size is the tacho and where did you source it? Much as I love my 550 Spyder dash, if I were to build another it'd be rather more difficult to find another one of those so the D24 style is the dash layout I'd put together myself.

Anyway, nice work and great photos. We all like photos...

Just spotted the D24 style side exit exhaust - nice!

Last edited by Mister Towed; 16th April 2014 at 07:39..
Old 16th April 2014, 07:42

Looking at the reg, is that based on a mk3 spit? Did the body/frame need altering to fit the earlier chassis and could you use an even earlier mk1 or 2 donor?
Old 16th April 2014, 08:16

Looks great.
Not my favourite colour combinations but still a good looking car and nice to see a different approach.
I echo Toweds Dash comment . Really like that pod setup.
Old 16th April 2014, 09:28

Thanks for the compliments guys. The dash was a task to get right and we had to source that 5.5" tacho from Australia! It's also got an 80mm Smiths classic speedo with a custom cable (Made by Speedy Cables) so isn't a layout we'd be likely to copy but looks really great as a 'One Off'

The colour is an authentic Jaguar colour from the 50's (Pale Primrose) and was chosen for precisely the reason that most of the obvious colours have been done already. Next on the line is a Triumph Salvador Blue Navigator which you will already have seen on this forum, closely followed by a Green Navigator ('Next Generation' with even more improvements to the design of body and frame which I'll explain when we get photos), but so dark it's almost black, then another Red Navigator Next Gen.

Towed, the Donor is actually a 1969 Herald 13/60 but has been uprated to a 1500cc Spitfire engine with a custom prop shaft.

Paul, I'll take more photos when the car gets back from MoT. As is our practice, it's not just an MoT but I use a garage in Preston I trust to check over all aspects before it goes including making sure everything is torqued, set up and all nylocs are in safety so it takes a day or so extra but gives me (and customer) another degree of confidence that all is well. As far as your questions:

- Bonnet hinge set up / arrangement
This one is a bit non-standard but I'll take a photo or two of it and accompany it with one of our standard set up
- Wiring route for headlights & indicators around inside of bonnet
As we use the Langy's loom which, as standard, already duplicates all wires for lights, the loom is attached to the chassis front rail and connected to the lights by short wires with bullet connectors. Photos will follow
- How do you access the mounting bolts for the side mirrors?
The mirrors are placed such as the mounting bolts are accessible from the cockpit and pass through the top skin of the scuttle (again, photos to follow)
- How is the grille mounted / fixed in place?
As we are using a lightweight grille on this car, it is simply bonded to the inside of the 'mouth' with Sikaflex
- What did you use to cover the hand brake cable?
Nothing the tunnel is a steel construction and has the donor handbrake mounting welded into it complete with tube so there is only a few inches of cable showing which doesn't get in the way and the customer is happy that it looks 'period'

More soon!
Old 16th April 2014, 09:32

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I like the look of that. I nearly went for those wheels. I think they would look more period in the same colour as the car - but that is just me.

Is that one of those filler caps for the deck of a boat? They are neat.
Old 16th April 2014, 10:05

Filler cap spotted! We wanted one which was an alternative to the usual flip cap and to better blend in to the shape of the body and these fit a treat
Old 17th April 2014, 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
Thanks for the compliments guys. The dash was a task to get right and we had to source that 5.5" tacho from Australia!
'king typical, you think you've found the perfect period tacho on ebay and it turns out to just be the mounting ring.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminum-A...item3cdeb030d4

Did you keep the contact details for your Aussie tacho source?