Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 10th October 2016, 08:53

Barber is on a distinguished road

Regarding lighting. Is there a simple guide to what is required for the Z3? The gov stuff is incomprehensible to me.

At the rear,
Compulsory - Position (/side?), indicator, stop?
Optional - Fog, reversing

What are the positioning requirements?

At the side,
Compulsory - Wing indicators - positioning?

At the front,
Compulsory - Position (/side?) lights, full beam, dipped beam, indicators

Optional - fog lamps

Again, positioning?
Old 10th October 2016, 09:23

jones is on a distinguished road

The only one I can say for certain is Barber you must have a rear fog light fitted due to the year of manufacture of your car. It must be fitted either on centre or offside of the vehicle. The switch for the fog lights must also illuminate.
Old 10th October 2016, 09:24

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

The only optional lights from that list are the spot and reversing lights. Reversing a car with no reversing lights at night is horrible, you don't realise how much of a difference they make. Spot lights are optional but do finish off "The Face" of the car.
There are rules (that I can't remember offhand) about the positioning off the rear foglight, however so long as it works I can't see an MOT tester failing it.
Old 10th October 2016, 09:29

Thank you gents. Just window shopping on ebay, the obligatory pre-purchase prep. haha
Old 10th October 2016, 09:37

Only problem with buying in advance is that you can't return them 9 months later if you have a problem or it doesn't work. I ordered some stainless steel headlight rings, they rusted within a month so I returned them for exchange, would have been a problem if they had been ordered a long time ago. I also tend to loose things!
Most things nowadays are a couple of days delivery maximum. The only things I order in advance are LED bulbs, wiring and connecters from China as they are so much cheaper.
Old 10th October 2016, 09:43

I would give the game away if i actually started buying the stuff. My wife has only just come to terms with the fact I want a Z3. "You've just got rid of a car with 200k miles because it was too expensive to repair, why do you want something that old?"

Me: Because I like them

and "BMWs and Mercedes always give you backache"

Me: That was 30 years ago, they changed (well the Z3s are under 20 years old anyway)
Old 10th October 2016, 12:03

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
Reversing a car with no reversing lights at night is horrible, you don't realise how much of a difference they make.
I have a Morris Minor that predates the requirement and agree 100% with the above.
Old 10th October 2016, 12:34

Default Boot adjustment advice please

Working my way around the back today (can't face doing another door top yet). The boot is proud on the right hand rear edge, too proud I think to sand down. How to I lower it, the hinge is loose so isn't the problem. On the left hand side the boot lid is low at the front corner, I have put a 5mm shim in-between the hinge and boot lid which has raised it up, don't know why because the hinge is again loose.

At the bottom trailing edge in the centre it is about 8mm proud, again to much to sand off and I don't want to put that much filler on the lower panel where the boot lock is located to build it up.
I thought maybe a slice in the two outer ribs to sharpen the curvature to bring the rear in but the curvature around the edges is pretty good.

Anyone with a cunning plan?
Old 10th October 2016, 13:44

When I saw how well you had done with the bonnet, then saw the boot, I thought it would be a b*gger, but you can sort it if anyone can.
Old 10th October 2016, 19:37

Welsh 46r is on a distinguished road

Not sure if you have internal or external boot hinges, but can you put shim under the front bolt of the hinge and not the rear to tip the boot lid . Also do you have a gap at the front edge of lid where it meets the body . Can you slot the hole in the hinge to allow the boot lid to slide back ,and if necessary trim the top edge of the lid until the back edge fits nicely
Old 10th October 2016, 20:10

It has internal boot hinges, they drop all the way down if the boot lid is not attached so they are not pushing the lid up in any way.
I will shim the front hinge as you suggest.
I had fitted a new boot seal and thought that may be the problem but it sits in exactly yje same way with it removed.

At the moment I think the cure may be to cut some slices in the ribs that run along it and introduce some more cure, that way it should bring the top down and tuck the bottom edge in some, which is what it needs.

Trouble is most of the builds have been hardtops, common as muck!

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 10th October 2016 at 20:22..
Old 10th October 2016, 21:15

Welsh 46r is on a distinguished road

If you undo the hinge bolts and let the hinges drop away does the lid fit the gap properly . I think I would try slotting the holes in the hinges to allow the boot lid to slide forward until the rear of the lid aligns with the body
Old 10th October 2016, 21:18

The boot is tight against the body at the top so it cannot be moved further back. The bottom edge however sticks out too far so needs to be brought back, I think it is more a question of curvature that the hinges but will remove the hinges tomorrow and see how it fits.
Old 10th October 2016, 21:57

Mikewade is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have a cunning plan!
By the way, do you have any tips ref door tops/window frames?
Old 11th October 2016, 09:04

Mine is the much more desirable convertible so it doesn't have a window frame!
However the same principle should work. I cut a strip of garden rubbish bin loader, about 3" wide, I also have a length of plastic "L" shape, about 1cm on each edge.Place the L against the window and then push the thin flexible plastic under it pushing firmly against the window, using duct tape stick the plastic down and the the L to the plastic. I cut a small section out to allow for the front window upright. When all stuck together take the skin off and I placed it upside down on a table leant against a wall (this is all precision work). Now the the plastic is on the table with the weight of the door skin pressing down it forms the correct curve. I placed a piece of timber against the L to stop the door sliding. Then back fill with GRP paste, let it dry and the plastic will peel away, GRP does not stick to it.
If you are not using a door rubber on the sliding window I would pack the L out slightly from the edge of the plastic sheet, that way with a little sanding you should be able to get the gap closed completely. Then its just a matter of sanding down.
When I do the other door I will post some more detailed photos.

The plastic bin loader is very useful. I took a mould of something and used the plastic to make the upright shuts so the mould could be split. I cut it to roughly the contour then placed it upright then ran a felt tip along the panel horizontally to marl the cantor on the shape. Cut it out and it was a very close fit. Held it in place with duct tape and some wooden blocks. When the moulded section had dried I just removed the tape and plastic, put mould release on the newly formed flanged and glassed the next section directly to it. Worked a treat.

Link to bag loader plastic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easy-Fill-...oAAOxywXFSb7-B
Old 12th October 2016, 01:11

Mikewade is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I understand them 100%, but can see the value of the polypropylene bin loader material and the L section plastic. I'm sure I can work it out!
Meanwhile I think my time working in a marquee is coming to an end due to the clocks changing, and the onset of winter... My plan is to store my car in a friend's garage until spring. Unfortunately management has found me some winter jobs to do in the house - so needs must etc!
Old 12th October 2016, 10:04

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewade View Post
Meanwhile I think my time working in a marquee
For a moment there I thought you were a trapeze artist
Old 12th October 2016, 17:55

Default Boot Lid Adjustmet

Boot lid doesn't fit too well, O/S front corner sits proud, N/S front cornet sits low and the back edge sits about 8mm too far back sticking out over the rear. The low side can be overcome by packing under the hinge, I did try packing part of the proud side as suggested but it didn't help.
I decided to try and curve the boot lid some more, that should in theory lower the front and pull the back in.
I sliced the two side ribs underneath, tensioned them with a pair of ratchet steps and held it in place with builders band. The two rear corners sat further in and looked much better but the centre still needed pulling in. The proud corner also sat much better. I then cut a slice through the numberplate housing, it's shape was stopping the panel from bending. I then fixed the slices with some GRP tape.

The boot lid sat much better but was still a little too proud in the centre at the back.
To get the back to sit further back I put a hydraulic ram in the boot and pushed it out a little, cut some slices and grp taped them.
The boot lid now sits a lot better, a bit of sanding and packing should get it to an acceptable fit.
Old 17th October 2016, 10:54

Default Bubbles in the GRP

I'm glad to say are almost non existent. It has just been baked in an oven and we got two tiny bubbles, along with the one bubble I found previously on the front wing makes 3 in total.
Old 22nd October 2016, 18:07

Default Central locking

Bugger, bugger dam and bugger.

Remote central locking stopped working while it was locked. I had put an emergency cable in just in case this happened but although I had tried the cable, this time it wouldn't release.
I tried hooking a string around the inner door handle but it just wouldn't open so in the end had to open the zip on the rear window. I got my daughter to climb in but with her pulling the door handle and pulling up the lock button at the same time we still couldn't open the car. In the end the ignition had to be switched on and the door opener pulled before it would open. I don't think my emergency cable was faulty but I think it needed the ignition on before it would allow the locks to open.

I think the answer is to wire the door window to a switch in the boot that will allow you to open the window directly from the battery. Typically I have misplaced my Haynes manual with the wiring diagram.

In opening the zipped rear window the half of the zip that was attached to the hood has started pulling away so I will have to try and sow that up before I can refit the window.

The remote locking on these cars seems to be a bit of a problem, you need to have a backup plan as you can't get to the original door locks.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 3rd June 2017 at 07:38..