Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion

Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion Formosa 120 GR and related builds

Old 11th January 2017, 06:28

phil9 is on a distinguished road

looking great nice shape .....
Old 20th January 2017, 19:21

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

SOME MORE STEPS FORWARD THIS WEEK .

Glan has been concentrating on half of the front . A Z300 bonnet section has been used in the centre and a portion of the wings with some re-shaping , the addition of some MX250 headlight buckets and a huge lump of foam and about 6 tins of filler ...

The pictures don't really do the front true justice ...You can't see the wing to bonnet relationship , the nice valley that is running up the inside edge doesnt show in matt filler.....It is very similar to a late 50's DBR1 Aston in the flesh .....but it is looking very pretty .

The buckets have been pulled forward to match the line of the uprighted grill area , they have been trimmed back and fitted creating a lip to affix the perspex covers to eventually ...

Bonnet to body gaps have been gapped at approx. 1.5mm and filled with plasticine to preserve them ...

This pics a weird angle , but it shows the rise of the front wing ...the rise starts at the back edge of the rear door and gently climbs to its peak at wheel arch centre ...

Again , another picture that doesn't highlight it very well ..but the car has a gentle 'coke bottle' line to it as well ..flowing from the front to a 'pinch' at the rear door and gently flowing back out to the rear ...

We are hoping to get the other side mirrored next week , with some fettling and panel seperation etc. the week after ...then primer time !!

I have had some genuine interest in the car from a couple of people recently ..and , off the back of one of those conversations , this was delivered today ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 20th January 2017 at 19:27..
Old 21st January 2017, 02:30

molleur is on a distinguished road

Nice!
Old 21st January 2017, 11:56

striker1660 is on a distinguished road

Looking very good, is the bonnet hump going to be as is or will the entrance/mouth change?

The side lower wing profile have any open area for venting or any o ther detail?
Old 21st January 2017, 13:38

The bulge is having its radius'd edges changed slightly and the front is being added to creating a bull nose , more like a D type , ,or a GT6 if you like ...I am going to do an optioN of a scoop as well , but that will be after we have created moulds , or if someone requests one , it can be modified before the kit goes out ...The scoop would be along the lines of a 625 TRC or a 410S Ferrari style .

The side vent has the option of staying blanked , having its front edge opened up or a series of holes like a 250 SWB , for example , or can be further opened up to reveal more of the area behind along the lines of the mid 50's Ferrari's ..

Old 21st January 2017, 17:36

aitchpee is on a distinguished road
Default Coming along nicely!

Great job Gary. The front end is really coming together well and the faired-in headlamps will give it a more purposeful attitude. I look forward to seeing it in the flesh in a few weeks.
Old 22nd January 2017, 07:57

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Gary - Good to see the front end coming together nicely.

I'm sure the arrival of a donor car confirms it was worth taking the time to get this project right.

Looking forward to the first build thread.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 22nd January 2017, 12:32

THANK YOU CHAPS ....I am so pleased with the car , it looks great in the flesh , 4'' approx wider than it's cousins and the front end with its length and 'pout'really gives it some attitude .
I cannot stress enough though , I had the initial design in my head relating to rounded rump , covered front etc. and I have made design decisions along the way ....but other than a bit of labouring and general duties ...the creation of this gorgeous body is totally down to Glan ( GR ) deciphering and translating my ramblings and schoolboy sketches .....
Old 22nd January 2017, 14:56

Really outstanding, getting there is tough sometimes. You have nailed it!
Old 22nd January 2017, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
THANK YOU CHAPS ....I am so pleased with the car , it looks great in the flesh , 4'' approx wider than it's cousins and the front end with its length and 'pout'really gives it some attitude .
I cannot stress enough though , I had the initial design in my head relating to rounded rump , covered front etc. and I have made design decisions along the way ....but other than a bit of labouring and general duties ...the creation of this gorgeous body is totally down to Glan ( GR ) deciphering and translating my ramblings and schoolboy sketches .....
Perhaps you can persuade Glan to join us here so that we can show our appreciation for his efforts?
Old 22nd January 2017, 16:54

Popped into the workshop this afternoon and Glan had had the same idea ....

Old 22nd January 2017, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchpee View Post
Perhaps you can persuade Glan to join us here so that we can show our appreciation for his efforts?
He lurks in the shadows ....
Old 22nd January 2017, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Looking forward to the first build thread.
I started a closed Facebook group for my build project (originally planned to be a Miglia but looking more like a Formosa now!). If anyone wants to join, friend me on Facebook (Hugo Pickering) and ask.
Old 22nd January 2017, 23:21

Triumph Special is on a distinguished road

I'm NOT having a pop, but much as I like your project and admire your work enormously, does that Mk1 2ltr DHC Vitesse really have to be sacrificed?! It just seems a shame. Sorry, probably just me... I look forward to seeing how your new model turns out.
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:01

I thought you might pop up mate !!

I know what you are saying TS . I kind of agree in some respects ...when it arrived , I was knocked back a bit . It is a decent car , but the customer said he wanted to start with the best example he could afford . He's only asked for me to fit the kit and hang a few bits etc and he will finish it . From a financial stand point , he wasn't looking to spend thousands restoring something before we started .

From a restorers point of view , they are always going to say that whatever state the car , restore it . And if someone restores their chassis and running gear to a high level , the argument will be put an original body on it ...I guess ..An argument thats only going to be fueled more by rising values and diminishing numbers of Heralds and Vitesses .

For now , though , restoration costs are still ecxceeding car values on Heralds and some Vitesses , so donor duties are justified . Financially speaking , as well , The retro kit cars and Classic re-bodies are increasing in value too , alongside the classic car market , so peoples investments are safe ...

A S*mmio changed hands recently in Europe for 25,000 euro's .

But I do understand your comment TS.

The upside for restorers though , is they will have a nice stash of parts coming off the car , no one ever seems to complain about where there much needed spares are coming from !!
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:25

I have received 2 quotes for producing the bodyshells now , with a 3rd pending , but with both quotes being virtually the same , I feel confident of the production cost of the bodies now.
I have had the frames priced , based on 2 at a time.
I have an approx. price for screens and headlight covers , based on previous purchases ....

This has put me , confidently , in a position to price the package.

FORMOSA 120 GR

A DOUBLE GEL'D BODY SHELL WITH SEPARATE DOORS , BOOTLID , INTEGRAL DASH , ONE PIECE FLIP STYLE BONNET WITH FITTED HEADLAMP SHELLS , FULL RETURNED EDGES ON ALL PANELS , CORE MAT FITTED IN RELEVANT AREA'S AND THE VISIBLE CENTRE SECTION OF THE BODYSHELL INTERNALLY FLOW COATED.

A FIBREGLASS REAR BULKHEAD.

AN INTERNAL 'SPACE' STYLED ROUND TUBE FRAME WITH SPARE WHEEL MOUNT IN BOOT AREA , HINGE POINTS AND BRACKETRY TO FIX THE BODYSHELL IN PLACE AND LOCATION MOUNTS TO BULKHEAD .

A STEEL , DROPPED FLOORPAN WITH INTEGRAL TUNNEL

2 TUBULAR FRONT INNER ARCH SECTIONS TO CONTINUE THE SPACE FRAME STYLING

A HEAT FORMED LEXAN WIND DEFLECTOR STYLE SCREEN.

2 SMALL SCREENPOSTS

2 HEAT FORMED LEXAN HEADLIGHT COVERS.

£4250
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post

£4250
And that is squarely where I expected the price to be. Well done Gary. This is exciting. I can't wait to see the buck in the flesh now! Good job.
Old 23rd January 2017, 20:50

Jeff H is on a distinguished road

Seems a fair price for what's included,

No IVA required is a bonus also, If you can get a decent sticky on board to do the laminating that will help.

Hope the order book fills up for you Gary.
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
Seems a fair price for what's included,

No IVA required is a bonus also, If you can get a decent sticky on board to do the laminating that will help.
I'm trying to price it as fairly as I can avoiding the pitfalls of compromising quality or selling too cheap to support the venture ..

Its an awful lot of fibreglass and a large amount of tube framework , plus accessories ...being made by professional suppliers and not 'in house' and the nearest comparible I can relate to is probably the MEV Aston styled rendition , which is currently £5995 + vat and , as you rightly point out , as nice as they are , they have no classic status and are IVA candidates ...2 things I really don't want my offering to be ...
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:49

Hope you do well, very fairly priced.