Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 28th May 2013, 01:10

soporsche is on a distinguished road
Default rubbers, wipers and handles!

Sorry if these subjects have been covered before, Im interested how you guys have handled the seal between body and side windows i.e. around top of door to glass? Have you gone for the Mazda hardtop rubber seal or created your own, if so any ideas welcome.

Secondly, has anyone come accross replacement wipers / wiper arms in chrome as a direct swap for the standard mazda (generaly black) items.

Lastly, are people generaly sticking with the standard mx5 exterior door handles? Has anyone found anything thats a little more 'period' as a straight swap without masses of work to fit.

Im in the slightly unusual position of looking to apply some of these things retrospectively, theres lots being improved on the car on a fundamental basis e.g. chassis work, suspension etc. Theres also some things i will live with for now e.g the odd visible rivets under paint (noooooo!). Kind of wish id started from scratch but i didnt so lots of compromises this time out, theres lots to appreciate in it too though!
Im plotting a future quite ambitious build (different body) and if i proceed then it will be to an exact plan!

Last edited by soporsche; 28th May 2013 at 01:14..
Available from eBay
Old 28th May 2013, 19:15

seanick is on a distinguished road

I used a very small section rubber seal on mine, but I did move the door shuts in a good inch. The seal is just 10mm.
I have some Mini door handles to go on, but can't tell you if it will work or not, yet.
For wiper arms just dismantle the ones you have and have them chromed. The base is aluminium though so that can only be sprayed ot powder coated. You could just polish it up instead.
No easy solutions, but if it was easy, everyone would do it.
Looking forward to getting the covers of mine after the 20th June.
Old 28th May 2013, 20:06

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

You can buy chrome wiper blades on ebay designed to bling up modern cars. Arms are more difficult, chroming will acost a fortune. You can buy chrome covers but they won't cover the base. I will be giving chrome vinyl wrapping a try.
Old 28th May 2013, 20:14

Hammy is on a distinguished road

Or chrome powder coating like my rollcage. I too will be moving the window shut in and using a seal from seals direct.
Old 28th May 2013, 20:22

seanick is on a distinguished road

To strip, polish and chrome two wioer arms about 20/30 quid. Peanuts!
Old 28th May 2013, 20:22

Btw Steve I saw the rivets on your car. Its an easy fix mate and wouldnt be expensive to have done. If you dont want to attack it yourself Id happily help.
Old 28th May 2013, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanick View Post
To strip, polish and chrome two wioer arms about 20/30 quid. Peanuts!
Nick do you know anyone near us to do it mate?
Old 28th May 2013, 23:53

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.
Ive seen the blades on ebay but realy wanted the whole thing done.

Nick - thanks for the info, looking for easy fix is not out of apathy just circumstances and time. Good plan re smaller section rubber, the one on the car at the moment is untidy to say the least. I did consider the mazda hardtop seal which is a 1 piece afair.
Re the wipers, at that price i also would be very interested if you know of somewhere.

Hammy, thanks for the offer to assist re rivets - one guy at Stoneleigh thought the imperfections addded patina and helped the period look. ha, ha not sure the current tech screws in the arches or dodgy grille would add to said 'patina'
I will probably get it sorted and may well take you up on the kind offer of assistance, Unless i sell the car sooner than i think (i have an embryonic plan for a unique build/car which would take some substantial effort/funding.. pipe dream at moment though.)

Any more suggestions welcome....

Hope to meet you all soon.
Old 28th May 2013, 23:59

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

Link for chrome wiper blades

http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/windscreen...els-p-935.html
Old 30th May 2013, 11:14

Hi Fatbloke - thanks for the linky and i had also spotted these on 'the bay', they sometimes come with a wind deflector but look much better with it removed.

Off topic but car related - Im an ebayaholic at the moment looking for bits and bobs for the car. Im glad I am though as a search for old ferrari bits threw up a spurious result.. a copy of the 1987 Pirelli 'racing colours' book that turns out is signed and dated by Juan Manuel Fangio 'the maestro' and presented to the guy I bought it from at the launch event for the book (complete with documents to prove covenance, full Pirelli press pack etc)... a real piece of history containing 100s of inspirational racing/car pics and mine for a snip!
Old 30th May 2013, 11:18

Hi all, on the mxnutz forum someone mentioned some after market door handles with a classic look.. ive searched but cant find any web pages for them or details of retailer or manufacturer (guess maybe from Japan). So, there may be an alternative out there that alters the standard mx5 door appearance, if anyone finds them let me know!
Old 30th May 2013, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by soporsche View Post
Hi Fatbloke - thanks for the linky and i had also spotted these on 'the bay', they sometimes come with a wind deflector but look much better with it removed.

Off topic but car related - Im an ebayaholic at the moment looking for bits and bobs for the car. Im glad I am though as a search for old ferrari bits threw up a spurious result.. a copy of the 1987 Pirelli 'racing colours' book that turns out is signed and dated by Juan Manuel Fangio 'the maestro' and presented to the guy I bought it from at the launch event for the book (complete with documents to prove covenance, full Pirelli press pack etc)... a real piece of history containing 100s of inspirational racing/car pics and mine for a snip!
Have you seriously procured this???? I have to know how much!!?????
Old 30th May 2013, 20:38

Default Memorobilia

Hi Hammy, I have indeed and it may be a bit sad but love the fact 'he' has signed it on the page with the puc of him overtaking Moss et al. Price, well it would be churlish to be specific but more than £10 and less than £100!
Old 30th May 2013, 21:20

bloody hell!!!
Old 30th May 2013, 21:23

I was gonna offer to buy it but you should have that professionally valued....

Last edited by Hammy; 30th May 2013 at 21:27.. Reason: cos
Old 30th May 2013, 23:34

Hi Hammy, ive been told one went up at Bonhams in 2007 and went for c.£400. That said, it was 6 years ago and would be getting rarer as time goes on. I may well keep it along with a few other bits of memorobilia i have; nicest though not period is a print/painting of Silverstone GP grid signed by artist and persononalised/signed for me with message "To Stephen, a fellow racer Nigel Mansel red 5".... i have the wife to thank for that.

Sorry to everyone else reading the thread, this is probably of little interest and even less to do with building Tributes!
Old 31st May 2013, 07:39

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soporsche View Post
Hi Hammy, ive been told one went up at Bonhams in 2007 and went for c.£400. That said, it was 6 years ago and would be getting rarer as time goes on. I may well keep it along with a few other bits of memorobilia i have; nicest though not period is a print/painting of Silverstone GP grid signed by artist and persononalised/signed for me with message "To Stephen, a fellow racer Nigel Mansel red 5".... i have the wife to thank for that.

Sorry to everyone else reading the thread, this is probably of little interest and even less to do with building Tributes!
I think anyone following this forum is a 'certified petrol head' so of interest to many.
Old 31st May 2013, 09:21

Default automotive ramblings

thanks Froggyman, i tend to get a bit carried away with racing and car stuff... its definitely an obsession but I like to think a productive one. I am now a certified master in 'man maths' to justify this obsession.

P.S. I like the Avatar, Im still the owner of a BRG Sammio (#4, I think) complete with race decals inc. pegasus.

Last edited by soporsche; 31st May 2013 at 09:25..