Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th April 2012, 07:20

Paul D is on a distinguished road
Default Seat belts

Having hunted around for pictures and information on how other people have dealt with the issue of seat belts and mountings all over the forum, I thought it could do with a thread of it's own to be easier to find. So to kick off...

We decided to go with a four strap seat belt set for sale on Ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2609014157...84.m1439.l2649. £52.39 including postage for a pair seemed pretty good value. We chose a static arrangement rather than inertia reel for simplicity in mounting. (Keep it simple stupid!)

Looking around for metal in our scrap pile to fabricate some simple brackets we noticed the discarded leaves of the rear transverse leaf spring. The big attraction was that they already have a large hole in them.

The seat belt set comes with new special shoulder bolts and collet's to allow the metal ends of the belt to turn when done up tight. I found out the hard way that even now these threads are apparently all 7/16" UNF, not metric, My local bolt shop tells me that this is for all European cars - even new ones. (Please correct me on this if this is wrong).

Anyway the new bolts fit into the inner fixings welded to the centre chassis rails, so we added an outer bracket welded low down on Gary's frame, and two high level ones either side of the hump position.

We have chosen to weld captive nuts onto the mounts because they will be very difficult (if not impossible) to access with the body bonded onto the frame. The idea is to cut two slots in the back wooden panel behind each seat of the metal belt fitting to slide into and be bolted up.

The top brackets have the nuts welded on top so the bolts can be fitted from underneath with some 'studlock' to ensure they stay done up.

Pictures to follow.
Available from eBay