Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31st August 2013, 20:52

Mars'69 is on a distinguished road
Default 2CV Sammio build Tne Netherlands

Hello Fellow Sammio buiders,

I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Marcel Birkhoff, 44jrs, married and 2 kids (4-6yrs) and have imported the no.3 sammio Cheveaux body to the Netherlands. Initially I wanted to build a Burton kit car, a very well finished and popular 2cv kit of which are more then a 1000!! sold in the Netherlands. However, when I saw the Sammio I fell in love with the design and cancelled my Burton order!

I have followed this forum from time to time a bit but could not find any thing on the 2cv's but did learn some good things from the Herald based kits. However, I recently noticed that there is a Sammio 2cv builder in France - Zebre - which has made great progress and with whom i can share my frustrations and do some comparisons!

I'm at 70% of the build and have overcome the main issues and am very close to attach the body and do the final part.

Before I show you some pics, let me tell what has to be adapted to the kit, especially "handy for Andy"

Frame:
The Frame that was delivered with the kit fitted remarkably well. I did not have to change the mounting positions. However, the body would not fit over it and I had to move the rear crossmember (behind seats) back about 7 cm's.

Also it was very difficult to fit the pedal box and had to do a lot of cutting to make it fit.

When I had everything assembled at the chassis I found that I had too little legroom, although I'm not too tall (1,78cm). I noticed that the frame could be moved another 5cm forward on the chassis which is meant extra legroom!

Therefore I decided to dismount all components again and cut the frame and add 5 cm to the frame, cut the pedal box loose again and add another 2-3 cm by moving the pedal box forward.

Then when I fitted the body, the rear was very loose and not so easy to fix to the body. Therefore I have added some extra rear support - also as I want to make a booth lid that includes the two humps and opens to the back.

Also Have have made already some adaptations to the frame to be able to fit the doors - this you could actually do standard on this frame as it does not take a lot of weight and the structure is strong. Also i have added seatbelt mounting brackets.

Body:

The body is not very well finished and found that the rear was not straight and the left front is 4 cm longer as the right front. I had to cut out a piece from the front to make left and right symmetrical.

Also I had ordered a left steer model and upon delivery fond they had made a right steer body... I refused to take the body and Gary made an extra hump overnight which I put on.

For the citroen2cv a number of major adaptations have to be made, here's the list:

- replace location of alternator (to avoid bubble in bonnet)
- re-engineer steering column
- make new headboard
- Re-engineer exhaust system
- New airfilter system
- New fuel filler system
- New gear shift system
and tons of small stuff.

An advice for other 2cv builders, the burtoncar company has a lot of good solutions that will fit this build. see www.burtoncar.com

When I started, I bought and old to 2cv, and took of the parts I could use: suspension, axles, engine, gearbox, fuelsystem, electrical parts etc. The chassis was completely rotten.
So I bought a new chassis and main cable loom and got a refurbished engine / gearbox.

Next message will have some pictures after I have figured out how to reduce the size...
Available from eBay