Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 31st October 2010, 20:40
Enthusiast

MadDogMoggy is on a distinguished road
Default Angel Eyes and IVA

The car is off having it's suspension set up so the next major step is bodywork and lighting.

I have some angel eye lights, which many builders have gone for, but I'm unsure as to how they will fare at IVA.

The lights have separate bulbs for sidelights, dipped beam and main beam, and the LED 'angel eyes' around the dipped and main lights.

IVA states that I can have 2 or 4 front position lamps (sidelights) and a maximum of 2 daytime running lamps (which come on with ignition and turn off with headlights).

So, any thoughts on what I can do? The instructions say to connect them to sidelights, but then I would have too many. Using them as daytime running lights is possible (with a gadget from car builder solutions) but I'd have 4 not 2.

Could I simply not connect them until post IVA? Is Mr (or Ms) inspector likely to notice?

Thanks for any words of wisdom!
Tim
Available from eBay
Old 1st November 2010, 19:08
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Tim.

I can only comment on the SVA rules, but I would have said the IVA ones would be similar.

I have the morette style ones. No separate side lights. On mine, the angle eyes are the side lights. So wired directly into the side light circuit.

It looks like you have two choices. You can just wire up the angle eyes on there own and use as side lights or wire the angle eyes up with the side light bulbs.

What I would do is ring the local IVA test centre and speak to an examiner and ask there advise. Did that a couple of times when I was getting mine ready for SVA.
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:52
Enthusiast

Thanks - that's good advice.

I think you're right about the lights too - no bulb for the sidelights as the angel eye rings are those. It was a while ago I took them out and I think I may have been confusing one of the bulbs with the indicator!

I'll give the test centre a call!

Thanks again
Tim
Old 3rd November 2010, 07:18
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road

Tim

I used angel eyes when I had my car sva done in july 07, to be honest the chap who done my test was very sensible and praticle about a number of very minor issues.

Like Limpabit said, contacting your local centre, and depending on distance perhaps even going there to establish a relationship with the testers I feel is always useful, it hopefully will make them feel more engaged with you.

Ask if they have done any 5exis before it may help with fixing possible sticking points that have come up against.

Steve
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:16
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road

Hi Tim,

I can probably help.

My car went through IVA in August and has Angel Eyes. The rule that must be met is that the car can only have 4 forward facing side lights e.g. you cannot have both the sidelights and the angel eyes wired and active as that would be a fail. Just removing the bulb would not necessarily be sufficient if you leave the wiring in place as that would count as a defective bulb and fail according to my IVA examiner. so the best method is either dont wire one of the sidelights or the angel eyes for the purposes of IVA.

Hope that helps.

David.
Old 5th November 2010, 13:10
Enthusiast

Thanks again guys.

I think phoning the inspector is probably the sensible thing to do - having checked my lights again, each unit has:

Indicator
Main Beam
Dipped Beam
Side light
2 x Angel Eyes
1 'cluster' of 2 LEDs in a small rectangular opening

However, the lights are E marked!