Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 28th August 2013, 19:56

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the nice comments above, it means a lot to me, especially when it's coming from the creator of the concept, a new friend who's been there and done it himself and someone the other side of the channel who's stepping out on an even bigger limb than I did by using a Deux Chevaux donor.

Despite being a challenge to build it's been an absolute pleasure too. Gary tapped into a niche market that was just waiting for a void to be filled, left by the likes of Paul Banham. I can't see anyone in their right mind starting to cut great big scoops and louvres into the bonnet of any of the current crop of Cobra kits, not at the prices the body shells cost, anyway. And for me, the finished car has turned out better than I could've hoped. I've even shown some of the staff at the Italian hotel I'm in at the moment pictures on t'internet and they've all gasped things like 'Que Bella Lancheea!' I don't know what that means but I've been getting free drinks all night since

So, if you're a lurker with a few mechanical skills and a hankering to build your own 50's sports racing car, don't delay, get yourself round the manufacturers, choose the style you like and get on with it.

You won't regret it.
Old 29th August 2013, 05:05

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Well done on a great build.......the finished car looks great and is a tribute to the lancia you mentioned all along.very fitting...
Old 29th August 2013, 15:15

seanick is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

She truly looks the part Towed. And apart from the car you have made, and the style you have made it in, one of the finest qualities you have displayed is a firm determination to finish the job. Very few kit cars get finished by those that started them, for many reasons, but you actually finished it!!!! And that alone deserves a round of applause.
Now go and have some fun on some wet roundabouts ........
N.
Old 30th August 2013, 09:09

steveinfrance is on a distinguished road
Default Gary still owes me £2000.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
VERY VERY WELL DONE TOWED....You have totally embraced the whole ethos of my original concept.

I have followed your build with interest , I may not be actively involved in the Sammio world anymore ....(sometimes this saddens me a little but a combination of many factors forced me to sell on my baby)....but I still have an extreme fondness for the original '' lets cobble up a new twist on a 50's Special '' that has grown into quite a little star and spawned a few similar products along the way .......

Your car and build thread should be given a 'sticky' status as I am sure as others have said , it has and will create other sales of these kits in the future...... I doubt if Ribble , Miglia , Tribute etc. would object to that....
Shame i cant put a stick note of the £2000 you stole from me and still haven't delivered the money , a car , a kit or an email - at least now i have all your personal details for the bailiffs and the bankruptcy order.
Old 30th August 2013, 09:36

steveinfrance is on a distinguished road

Forgot to say an amazing build expertly executed and as all have said an amazing example of the opportunity presented by these cars - unfortunately i am yet to get the opportunity due to the inability of Gary Janes to supply the product or return the money so that i could order from ribble
Old 24th November 2013, 11:19

christinedmc is on a distinguished road

Hello Towed,

It looks like you have added a rubber piece underneath the wind screen channel. At least it looked that way. I remember a quite recent post about these rubber clamp screws you used, but can't remember there was mentioning of this rubber. May I ask where you did get it from?

Regards,

Michiel
Old 24th November 2013, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinedmc View Post
Hello Towed,

It looks like you have added a rubber piece underneath the wind screen channel. At least it looked that way. I remember a quite recent post about these rubber clamp screws you used, but can't remember there was mentioning of this rubber. May I ask where you did get it from?

Regards,

Michiel
Well spotted Michiel, I have used a 'P' profile rubber sealing strip under the screen frame.

Phil J mentioned that water can get under the frame when driving in the wet so I planned to seal it with something, but when I went to collect my car from Brockwell Bros trimmers after they made and fitted the tonneau, they'd noticed the omission and threw in a suitable rubber sealing strip, just asking me to give what I thought appropriate to a charity of my choice as payment. It finishes the front edge nicely and I had no water ingress when I drove it in the rain at Goodwood. I'll take some pictures of it later and post them.

I'm sure it's easily available from trim shops/websites.
Old 24th November 2013, 17:08

Looking forward to see pictures. It sure looks good. Beside the function of a water seal, it would cover gaps in the situation where it is difficult to get the strip tight to the body.
I'm still in doubt. Shall I bond the strip to the body or use (rubber ballooning) screws? Why did you choose for screws Towed?

Michiel
Old 24th November 2013, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinedmc View Post
Looking forward to see pictures. It sure looks good. Beside the function of a water seal, it would cover gaps in the situation where it is difficult to get the strip tight to the body.
I'm still in doubt. Shall I bond the strip to the body or use (rubber ballooning) screws? Why did you choose for screws Towed?

Michiel
Hi Michiel.

Yes, the seal does fill a couple of ill fitting gaps where the frame strip didn't quite fit tight to the top of the body. I went with a removable frame rather than bonding it to the body (which Phil has done) because my Porsche 550 dash panel curves up from under the screen before rolling down to form the face of the dashboard. To cut a long story short, the dash top completely blocks access to the set screws that hold the Perspex screen in the frame, so I wouldn't be able to replace it if it ever broke or went cloudy. With the well nuts holding the frame in place it's a very straightforward job to whip the whole assembly out and replace the Perspex.

Anyway, here's some shots of the sealing strip that Brockwell's gave me -

Pictures were taken this afternoon just before I used it to go to the gym between rain showers. Yes, I love it that much I'm still driving it at the end of November

Oh, and my wife just got back from a craft fair where she bought me a handmade decoupage card she thought I'd like. Can't think why she thought of me when she saw it...

Looks familiar but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Old 24th November 2013, 18:02

Thank you very much Towed,

The rubber looks swell. I don't think I have seen this shape before. But at least with the good pictures, I will be able to track it down. I like the solution.
I think I get the argument of your binnacle beeing in the way. I'm also up for a small binnacle, but I don't think it will block access (which I have to check to be sure).

Nice batch. It is remarkable appropriate. Only the numbers are different.

Regards,

Michiel
Old 30th December 2013, 18:59

I can't believe it, but this thread has now had over a hundred thousand views.

When I collected my kit from Gary J and he mentioned this forum I thought 'hmm, not really my thing.' I guess I was wrong.

I found this site a very useful source of information, inspiration and motivation during my own build and I'm glad others are finding some of my ideas and experiences useful when completing their own cars.

The process of tackling every part of my car's build from the chassis restoration to the spraying and polishing, getting it through the mot and driving it to Goodwood for the revival was an experience I can thoroughly recommend.

It left me with a profound sense of having achieved something worthwhile and I've made some good friends along the way. To anyone who's thinking of building their own 50's inspired sports racing car I say 'go for it, you won't regret it!'