Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 15th October 2019, 09:10

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default .....and again.

This appeared on my Moss Owners' FB feed this morning. Our near continental neighbours seem to have most of them!

Regards, Mick
Old 15th October 2019, 10:02

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Looks good on skinny wires, no mud guards and the racing green paint.
Old 15th October 2019, 18:02

Biggles is on a distinguished road

Ford based judging by the front suspension....
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:16

Default Plugging On......

Progress is slow but sure at the moment, none of it really worth a picture.

Now that the body's bolted down, it's just re-assembling all the pre-paint bits and pieces. I've bought a re-build kit for the DCD and will post an engine bay picture once it's all put together. I'll try and get one of my driver's side footwell today as it's forecast sunny. The aluminium side to the gearbox cover was fairly simple to fabricated but needed contortions to fit, as did the right angle speedo drive which would have been a doddle pre body mounting .

Regards, Mick
Old 22nd October 2019, 19:33

deggsy is on a distinguished road

that's looking very nice Mick
Old 24th October 2019, 08:34

Feeling pleased with myself that the transmission tunnel saga was complete, I remembered that I hadn't secured the thick earth lead with the clips I'd riveted under it, so the side panel had to come off. Worming my way upside down into the footwell, I managed to contort myself sufficiently to correct this omission, reminding myself that my spring chicken days are long gone. Whilst the ally panel was off I decided to add a rudimentary clutch foot rest, something that came in very handy in both the A352 and its Marlin predecessor. Tin snips, three bends and four pop rivets later this was in place. I bolted the side panel back for what I hope will be the last time: I'll put a couple of Tech Screws through the bottom flange into the GRP floor to make it fully secure. I trial sat in the drivers side to make sure that it was possible to operate the pedals OK. The well is so narrow that I think feet bigger than my size 43s in anything other than very light shoes would have a problem.

I fitted the back body items last week, finding that the silencer was too close to the fuel pipe from the bottom of the tank. I bought another stepped connector, this time longer with a 20% bend from the invariably excellent 'Any Exhaust Part' Ebay emporium. This took the silencer well away but I still added an ally heat shield. Belt and braces, as ever.

The bulb socket and terminals in the number plate lamp didn't inspire confidence, so I fabricated another LED 'bulb'. This consists of four white 12v LEDs Araldited together in an ally mount which I riveted to the body of the lamp. The 60s style reversing lamp also has one of these concoctions.

I'm waiting on two new 4" instrument dash gaskets before I can bolt the dash back and crack on with connecting the front loom to everything.

Regards, Mick
Old 6th November 2019, 07:29

Unhappy Slow Progress

I don't seem to have got a lot done this last week, although I've spent quite a bit of time in the cave. The depressing weather doesn't help, neither does my being full of cold. The dash is now in place and the front loom installed. Everything bar the lights and indicators is connected.

Today's forecast is once again for rain so I'll concentrate on refitting the scuttle brace and steering column. I offered up the former yesterday to find that the car seems to have changed shape as the brace doesn't fit as it did on fabrication. Weird!

I also had a close look at the so say 'refurbished' callipers yesterday. The nipples are seized and the pad pins have their ends painted over. The pads are new. I don't hold out much hope for them so would one of you knowledgeable chaps tell me what their type number is please as new ones will likely be required?

Regards, Mick
Old 6th November 2019, 10:29
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Looking great Mick.

Loving the looks and particularly taken by the wheels too.

Dave
Old 6th November 2019, 13:56
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post

Today's forecast is once again for rain so I'll concentrate on refitting the scuttle brace and steering column. I offered up the former yesterday to find that the car seems to have changed shape as the brace doesn't fit as it did on fabrication. Weird!

I also had a close look at the so say 'refurbished' callipers yesterday. The nipples are seized and the pad pins have their ends painted over. The pads are new. I don't hold out much hope for them so would one of you knowledgeable chaps tell me what their type number is please as new ones

Regards, Mick
There is a brand new pair for sale on eBay £88. Just search for Triumph spitfire brake callipers.

Cheers Robin
Old 8th November 2019, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
There is a brand new pair for sale on eBay £88. Just search for Triumph spitfire brake callipers.

Cheers Robin
There's more than one type of calliper for small chassis Triumphs, and I'm unsure of either the differences or how to identify them.

Regards, Mick
Old 17th November 2019, 08:14

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mick - Good to see this all coming together nicely.
Old 19th November 2019, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Mick - Good to see this all coming together nicely.
Thanks Paul. Not got down the cave much lately due to being full of cold and the depressingly interminable rain. Yesterday was the first in a good while when I felt half way decent and there was good weather. Typically, it was the day I'd arranged to go to the NEC for the bike show . My dream of having her on the road for an Xmas day blat is starting to evaporate .

Regards, Mick
Old 14th December 2019, 12:02

Thumbs up A New Hope (with apologies to Star Wars afficionados).

Quote:
Not got down the cave much lately due to being full of cold and the depressingly interminable rain.

Regards, Mick
This has been the state of play more or less for the last four weeks. I discovered in that time that I have the wrong upper steering shaft, I think I may have given the correct one to the guy who bought my S4 Seven project - D'Oh! Anyway, I rang 'Spitfire Steve' on Thursday to order another and he told me that on Wednesday he had delivered an engine to a guy with a red Triumph based Monaco just up the road (well, 50 odd miles scenic route) in Leominster. Result! I spoke on the 'phone to this gentleman and we agreed that I'd show him mine, if he showed me his. Next weekend's looking likely so I may post with pictures Xmas week. I'm hoping that my visit will result in a fresh burst of enthusiasm, something lacking for a good long while.

Regards, Mick
Old 14th December 2019, 13:36

molleur is on a distinguished road

Hang in there Mick, it will eventually all come together for you!
Old 21st December 2019, 07:33

Default French Monacos

I've mentioned before that the French are mad for these cars. It seems there's a Prime Suspect, of whom I'm not a little jealous: There was an enquiry on my Moss Owners FB page regarding the worth of a Monaco which the poster was considering buying. Here's my new hero's reply - bear in mind that English is not his first language...

i owned 11 Monacos....no one was the same price...depends a lot of the finish, and wish engine is inside...
also, the prices aee different in UK or France, Germany...ect...because they re difficult to register...when it s not impossible...
but i can say without reach a fortune, price are going higher...but it s the same for many kit cars...
few years ago...you baught a monaco to the builder...who was an enthusiast, just selling the price of the parts, to build a new car...
now you buy a kit car to the guy who baught the kit car to the enthusiast...

My 11 Duttons, out of many thousands, seems a puny total compared with 11 Monacos out of 88. His FB name is 'Lucky ******'.

Regards, Mick
Old 21st December 2019, 09:37

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Not me !! Is this person using my forum name on facebook ?

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 21st December 2019 at 09:40..
Old 28th December 2019, 09:17
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't seem to have got a lot done this last week, although I've spent quite a bit of time in the cave. The depressing weather doesn't help, neither does my being full of cold. The dash is now in place and the front loom installed. Everything bar the lights and indicators is connected.

I also had a close look at the so say 'refurbished' callipers yesterday. The nipples are seized and the pad pins have their ends painted over. The pads are new. I don't hold out much hope for them so would one of you knowledgeable chaps tell me what their type number is please as new ones will likely be required?

Regards, Mick
The type 12 caliper is held together with 2 bolts. The type 14 with 4. So it looks like yours are type 14.

Cheers Robin
Old 29th December 2019, 07:37

Thumbs up

Hi Robin

Many thanks for that, I was on the verge of posing my question in the 'Small Chassis Triumphs' feed on FB.

Best Regards, Mick
Old 29th January 2020, 09:26

Exclamation ...and still they come.

This appeared on Ebay yesterday. I'm sorely tempted by that unmolested body; the wheels could be passed on; but the rest?

Regards, Mick
Old 29th January 2020, 14:40

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

Go for it Mick, you know you want to! Just think how good it will look!