Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion

Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion Formosa 120 GR and related builds

Old 19th April 2017, 18:34

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I love the look of this Gary and I think you have a winner on your hands.

One thought.......finding a decent bulkhead is quite hard these days. I'd be inclined to to extend the frame and recreate the step for pedal mounting. Simple drop floorpans for your feet and bingo........it's easy if you say it quickly.
Old 19th April 2017, 20:12

kevemm is on a distinguished road

Looks really good and look forward to when it really starts coming to life!! all these little details will make a massive difference.
Old 19th April 2017, 20:31

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post

Although the frame is designed to fit a stock Bulkhead cut down to fit under the bodyshell , I am looking at creating a box section bulkhead structure as an extra to be added to the frame for a customer with no bulkhead or a very rusty one ...
THANK YOU CHAPS ...Oxford ..please see above !!
Old 20th April 2017, 05:37

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
THANK YOU CHAPS ...Oxford ..please see above !!
I really should learn to read.

Great option.
Old 20th April 2017, 08:10

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Very impressive frame. I was going to comment on how much like a sand-rail it looks, then I remembered that your frame chappy makes sand-rails. Nice work.
Old 24th April 2017, 19:28

Not the greatest of pictures , but the light was fading when I took it ...an afternoon yesterday and a morning today on the doors and I now have internal framing I am happy with .....I still need to mount the hinge plates , but the tubework is mapped out ...these are patterns made by cutting and shutting tube that will be given to the tube benders to make nicer versions of them using these doors as the jig - I ( Glan ) will make some new doors for this body .

The hinge plates will be 3mm plate and will enable the builder to either bolt through or tap a thread into them on final fit ..

The tube frame goes pretty much around the perimeter of the inner door , has a bottom section giving strength to the bottom edges of the doors , a front edge to brace the hinge area and a small triangulation at the rear tying the bottom to the latch plate and bracing ....a diagonal brace adds a bit of rigidity but is mostly for looks ...

I also added the steering column mount to the frame and can confidently say that with a small mod to the upper column , the stock column can be used without having to extend it ....

Old 25th April 2017, 14:57

I NEED TO START THINKING ABOUT GETTING A RETURN ON MY OUTLAY - So we now have this ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/172643770177?

Old 25th April 2017, 15:01

Barber is on a distinguished road

Well done that man? You are enriching the kitcar world.
Old 25th April 2017, 15:02

Barber is on a distinguished road

Well done that man. You are enriching the kitcar world.
Old 25th April 2017, 17:38

molleur is on a distinguished road

Nicely done!
Old 25th April 2017, 20:08

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Mid century recreations ...I like it
Old 25th April 2017, 20:14

kevemm is on a distinguished road

Well done you have got the lines now spot on, it looks like it should do a 1950's racer!
Old 25th April 2017, 20:21

Thank you ....I am very pleased ...

Old 25th April 2017, 22:55

I have started a build thread in the Vintage and Classic Roadsters section on here ...
Old 26th April 2017, 07:56

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have started a build thread in the Vintage and Classic Roadsters section on here ...
That's good - a nicely finished demonstrator will sell a lot more kits than pictures of the disparate parts.

After all, I'd been watching your Sammio Spyder ebay ad and wondering for ages back in 2011, but it was coming to see old '66' that convinced me to part with my money -

If all you'd had to show me was a shell and a frame I doubt I'd have been convinced that I could turn it into a finished car.

Good luck with the first proper build, it deserves to sell as well as the Sammio did.
Old 26th April 2017, 10:20

Thankyou ....I don't think the Formosa will reach the same sales figures as it's cousin did ..price may well be prohibitive for some ..we gave the S*mmio's away ...I cannot afford to make that mistake again .
They are a different build also ..No harder to build , easier in some ways ..no internal lining issues , less time in the painting dept. etc....but a few more modifications that may put some off ..

Part of me doesn't want them to sell in large numbers ...I am having an internal battle with myself on that one ...Sound business sense would suggest that as many units as possible go out the door - certainly what my laminator and frame guys are hoping !! And from a financial standpoint , thats good for me ..I do need to start seeing a return , its certainly taken every spare cent to get this off the ground in 6 months ...... but a small part of me would like to sell limited units , even virtually none and spend my time building a few cars a year to sell as turnkeys .....the exclusivity would maintain a higher price - maybe ...

Its immaterial right now as I can't afford to not sell some kit packages ......
Old 26th April 2017, 19:15

FAIRLY UNINTERESTING UPDATE FOR MANY ...But I made a pattern for the screenposts today , I am having them made locally by an engineering company , but they needed patterns , so I knocked this up for them ...mine is a piece of tube with a slot cut in it ..Pete is going to mill out a piece of solid for his version . The foot or base has a bevelled edge .

This one is my dual pattern ..if a builder wants to build a version with side screens ( Maserati stylee...) then this post will have a support bracket added to the back edge to stop them vibrating .....a front screen only will be slightly shorter and uncapped to allow the screen to sit a bit higher than the post ..

Last edited by lancelot link; 26th April 2017 at 19:57.. Reason: re-worded it a bit ...
Old 28th April 2017, 17:39

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Gary - Everything looks the part.

Just be aware that the wording in your Ebay advert is SHOUTING!

Good luck, Paul.

PS
Will there be somewhere to mount the Herald hand brake on the framework?
Old 28th April 2017, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Gary
Will there be somewhere to mount the Herald hand brake on the framework?
No there won't Paul ...I recommend using a Morris Minor or the more common to Ebay Classic Mini handbrake as they are a simple action with bolt down feet ..The Herald has a complicated setup due to the mounts being part of the tunnel ..
Old 1st May 2017, 13:44

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thankyou ....I don't think the Formosa will reach the same sales figures as it's cousin did ..price may well be prohibitive for some ..we gave the S*mmio's away ...I cannot afford to make that mistake again .
They are a different build also ..No harder to build , easier in some ways ..no internal lining issues , less time in the painting dept. etc....but a few more modifications that may put some off ..

Part of me doesn't want them to sell in large numbers ...I am having an internal battle with myself on that one ...Sound business sense would suggest that as many units as possible go out the door - certainly what my laminator and frame guys are hoping !! And from a financial standpoint , thats good for me ..I do need to start seeing a return , its certainly taken every spare cent to get this off the ground in 6 months ...... but a small part of me would like to sell limited units , even virtually none and spend my time building a few cars a year to sell as turnkeys .....the exclusivity would maintain a higher price - maybe ...

Its immaterial right now as I can't afford to not sell some kit packages ......
Gary - My apologies, I meant to reply to this when you first posted it, but I got distracted.

I really think the price of the kit itself is a red herring for most builders.

As it turns out, you are one of the few people who has managed to get any "budget" Sammio builds on the road.

So I think the budget market is actually quite a small percentage to worry about.

Instead, most builders follow the example set by the Three Musketeers.

Where there is often a full 'nut & bolt' restoration of both the original rolling chassis and engine.

Then you have other builders, like Christendmc, Swifty, Oxford, etc. who take fabrication work to another level.

For me at least, the key to a good kit is one where you can pick your level of detail/expense and just get on with it.

So I really hope your Formosa 120 GR will actually turn out to be miles easier to build than any of its forefathers.

Fundamentally, if the body work fits as good as it looks, you should be on to a winner.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Even ignoring your short term cash requirement, I think the "turnkey only" business model would be is a tricky one to pull off.

As the Formosa is not sufficiently different to really stand out against the alternative options:
- The old Sammio range and the new Sammio Alpha
- Tribute's A352 and the Miglia Speedster
- Even the MEV Replica is another 1950s era model

I'm sure the high prices the DNA 250 replicas are getting has a lot to do with the "Ferris Bueller" effect.

Having said that, Nubodi clearly have a kit building business model that works.
( Even if Richard was always complaining about earning Burger King wages. )

So there is definitely a market for people who want the kit, but can't build it themselves.

But the price you charge must cover both the hours you work and a fair share of your other business overheads.
( Fixing the price for work before realising just how many hours are required is the road to ruin. )

The real key is to under promise and over deliver, not the other way around, as most people prefer the truth.
( Especially those who will have no idea of the amount of work that goes into building a high end finish. )

Even if you love these cars and building/modifying them, this has to be run as a proper business first.

Note:
I've just paid an hourly rate to get my engine fixed that far exceeds what I actually earn in an hour.
But I was happy to pay it to get a professional job done that is also way beyond my skills/facilities.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyway, that is more than enough from me and I hope the Stoneleigh went well for you.

Good luck, Paul.