Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion

Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion Formosa 120 GR and related builds

Old 13th March 2017, 18:00

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Moulds all off , polished several times and re-assembled on its feet ...the addition of removable legs makes this really easy to work on and very stable too ....good idea Glan !!

Hopefully gelling tomorrow ...two coats , then a skin coat of thin 1 oz. matt to avoid using paste in tricky areas ...Glan hates paste !! then its the rest of the layers including the cormat in the relevant places ...

Body out by the end of the week hopefully , then we can crack on with the framework and screen and headlight mould creating etc...
Old 17th March 2017, 17:59

We got the first 'prototype' body out this morning ...... There are a couple of bits I want to alter slightly , nothing major , just some nit picking to make production and builds slightly easier ...

We still need to doo the doors , but one of the plug ones does the job here ...

I am chuffed with the first one ... Now I can sort the framework out ...

The cowl is not finished ...this spec is suitable for someone building there own bulkhead or adapting something else ...Glan is going to fabricate a more intricate bulkhead panel next week that will be fitted separately .....

The rear return on the bonnet edge makes panel fit a doddle too ...

Jeff H asked about flash lines ...these are all there is ...its fresh from the mould in these pics, virtually no trimming , they will be bladed off and buffed , so will be even less obvious when supplied ...

We need to do the aforementioned doors and bulkhead panel , a rear bulkhead , some returns on the bootlid and we are done .....all being dealt with next week .

Finally , a S*mmio tradition , but its kind of family , so I guess its ok ....more importantly , it gives you an idea of size ...

The bodies are about 4'' wider than their cousins , same wheelbase but longer in the front and the rumped rear adds a bit too ...they feel a whole lot bigger overall ....

I think one in silver with red numbers , ala 300 SLR would look superb ..

I ordered the wrong shade of red for this one , coral red , all production bodies unless otherwise specified will be a more appropriate red ......

Special order colours , that are in the RAL range , will not cost any extra ...the first few orders will include a colour matching or black transmission tunnel and fully flowcoated body and bonnet included in the price ......

Last edited by lancelot link; 17th March 2017 at 18:22.. Reason: Added picture of a confused bloke at the end ...
Old 17th March 2017, 18:39

molleur is on a distinguished road

Great work! Quality molds and parts save a lot on the receiving end.
Job very well done! Congrats...
Old 18th March 2017, 08:53

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road

Nice work boys not so sure about the mug shot at the end !
Old 18th March 2017, 10:14

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post

Snap!
Old 18th March 2017, 10:33

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Great work Glan and Gary

I think a dark green one would look very DBR.
More appealing than the MEV replicar
Old 18th March 2017, 12:12

Thank you guys ...oh ..and you Towed !

Roadster , its got the same thing going on as its cousins ..in as much as , if they are red , they look Italian , silver they will look German , Green they will look British ..etc..

I borrowed styling tips from various cars , as you know ..the dash is amazing , but you'd be hard pressed to beat the Porsche dashes , IMHO , it you cut the dash face off and fit a seperate panel , you are going down the Maserati route as well , which is cool .. rear arches are very stylish , the boot aperture is very cool ...lots going on , but still very much a flexible canvas to personalize a build ...that's exactly how I like it ...

I will get a side on shot of it next week ...

I managed to start prepping a bulkhead this morning ...

Pretty much the same process as before , but some extra tidying up ...the little triangulation pieces at either edge are removed ...

I've trimmed the floorpans back too , and will fit this to a chassis on Monday and put the body in position ...

Glan will now make a seperate panel to blend these two together ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 18th March 2017 at 12:19..
Old 18th March 2017, 12:18

Piguin is on a distinguished road

Looks amazing.

Some great work there!
Old 18th March 2017, 12:26

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Looking good, very neat flash lines. Looks good enough to be built just using gel coat.
Only slight worry is that,t is there enough of a lip to hold the windscreen securely?
Old 18th March 2017, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
Looking good, very neat flash lines. Looks good enough to be built just using gel coat.
Only slight worry is that,t is there enough of a lip to hold the windscreen securely?
Its going to be a heat formed plexi screen . the dip is deep enogh to get a small fixing in or can be bonded in place and the kit will come with two screenposts to support it either end ..

I have a laser cutting firm currently cutting out hinges , screenpost pieces and tilt front bracketry for me from hardboard templates I made earlier in the build ..
Old 18th March 2017, 22:48

molleur is on a distinguished road

Looks amazing, thanks for the update!
Old 19th March 2017, 08:49

aitchpee is on a distinguished road

So exciting to see this finally coming together - many small volume automotive producers could learn a lot from the process of design, engineering, development and prototyping that you and Glan have been through on the Formosa. In fact you might consider a 'project workshop' on the process, for others with plans for producing their designs.

I'll have to come down soon and see the body in the flesh. I'm keen to see the mods required to the bulkhead etc.
Old 19th March 2017, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchpee View Post
So exciting to see this finally coming together - many small volume automotive producers could learn a lot from the process of design, engineering, development and prototyping that you and Glan have been through on the Formosa. In fact you might consider a 'project workshop' on the process, for others with plans for producing their designs.

I'll have to come down soon and see the body in the flesh. I'm keen to see the mods required to the bulkhead etc.
Thank you H ... Glan is really the man who made this happen , I knew what I wanted , he made it happen with me acting as the lacky labourer on most of it ...I think the already retired Glan , is ready to re-retire !! He has a mid 30's MG project he put on hold to help me with this and I think he's going to get back on that when we are done ...

Welcome down anytime H ... I have a guy coming from Belgium on wednesday , which is cool ...

The bulkhead pictures above show the mods quite well when compared with a stock one , its scalped in the same way a S*mmio one is and the triangulating braces removed , wiper bracket too ...the plate in the middle is where this one had the heater bulge removed and it was rusty behind it ..

The battery frame can be removed or left ...I'm leaving this one but going to fit a dropped tray like a Spitfire to keep the battery in the same location ..I think they are better left on to maintain a bit of strength

I'm working with Mark at Southern Triumph Services quite closely with prepping a chassis for a customer and he's having it fully refurbed by them too ...I know that he would be happy to do bulkhead modifications for any builders if required too ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 19th March 2017 at 09:22.. Reason: Thought Id give Southern Triumph a shameless plug ...
Old 19th March 2017, 09:22

Thanks for that Gary. Presumably with no heater in the way, you can get a header tank there too?
Old 19th March 2017, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
I'm working with Mark at Southern Triumph Services quite closely with prepping a chassis for a customer and he's having it fully refurbed by them too ...I know that he would be happy to do bulkhead modifications for any builders if required too ...
I just need to find myself a bulkhead then. Anyone?
Old 19th March 2017, 10:41

deggsy is on a distinguished road

I have a herald bulkhead the floors are shot but the rest is ok free to a good home just needs to be collected from south wales.
Old 19th March 2017, 12:40

Quote:
Thanks for that Gary. Presumably with no heater in the way, you can get a header tank there too?
EXACTLY ...Thats what is done with the S*mmio range ...
Old 19th March 2017, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggsy View Post
I have a herald bulkhead the floors are shot but the rest is ok free to a good home just needs to be collected from south wales.
Thanks @deggsy. I'll have to see if I can get to South Wales sometime. I may actually be going to Chepstow in the next few weeks so that might work. I'll PM you
Old 19th March 2017, 12:46

Quote:
I just need to find myself a bulkhead then. Anyone?
If you don't fancy a trip to Wales , I have a guy in Devon who has a couple of Bond Equipe bulkheads and they are the same from the screenframe down , so perfect for us ...

floorpans need to be cut and modified ( the floorpan with the kit will deal with that ) , so rusty floorpans aren't an issue ...
Old 19th March 2017, 15:30

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Lancelot Link - Congratulations Gary, the first car out of the mould looks great.

Without a doubt, this is of a much higher quality than the Cordite.

Looking forward to seeing the first one being put together.

Cheers, Paul.