Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Old No.7 Builds

Old No.7 Builds 275 kits from Dan

Old 1st October 2019, 21:50

smash is on a distinguished road

14" 72 spoke are available!

Same style as mine were - same place. Be just under 2k landed

http://www.acww.com.au/catalog/index...roducts_id=139

Next!!

Last edited by smash; 1st October 2019 at 21:53..
Old 1st October 2019, 22:52

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I'll have to check these out !
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:14

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I tried fitting 225/75x15 but found the 75 profile too high and they locked on the underside of the front shock spring pans. You might clear it with narrower 185's but I would check with one type before paying out for a full set.
Old 2nd October 2019, 21:21

I've fitted the 185 section tyres and they are under the arches as I'd hoped. The clearance around the front strut is fine so that's worked out well.

The rear end is basically fitted other than a little fettling, then it can be bolted / bonded on for the final time. Front end and door skins next.

The petrol flap is the Z3 one skinned with the Grp disc that was cut out, neat enough !

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 2nd October 2019 at 21:31..
Old 2nd October 2019, 21:28

Photos here …..

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 3rd December 2019 at 23:33..
Old 5th October 2019, 21:13

Trial fitted the Harrington rear bumper today. The rear section is easy to mount onto the body and I've fitted the off side quarter bumper. Only needed a little trimming and it looks reasonable. Going for a 10mm gap between the bumper and body.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 3rd December 2019 at 23:29..
Old 5th October 2019, 22:27
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Looking good again

Oh and the Z3 filler looks neat too. I went that way with mine due to lack of experience and not wanting to use a big old filler. They keep the lines of the car clean though.

Hope the fit and finish is good with regard to alignment etc.

How thick are the door skins ? I shy away from them (again lack of experience/confidence/competence.

Keep up the pics

Dave
Old 5th October 2019, 23:20

molleur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
Trial fitted the Harrington rear bumper today. The rear section is easy to mount onto the body and I've fitted the off side quarter bumper. Only needed a little trimming and it looks reasonable. Going for a 10mm gap between the bumper and body.
Good fit and really look the part. Major improvement over bumper-less.
Old 7th October 2019, 22:28

Finished off the tapered rear light mounts. I ended up modifying the ones supplied in the kit, only a small mod but it goes along way. Offered up the rear lights too, fitted with with temporary fixings.
The front side repeaters have been frenched into the bodywork like the original, I'll do the same with the bonnet badge. Also fitted the front indicator recesses that are supplied, simply trimmed and bonded into position.
Old 9th October 2019, 22:21

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've fitted the 185 section tyres and they are under the arches as I'd hoped. The clearance around the front strut is fine so that's worked out well.

The rear end is basically fitted other than a little fettling, then it can be bolted / bonded on for the final time. Front end and door skins next.

The petrol flap is the Z3 one skinned with the Grp disc that was cut out, neat enough !
Has the original pipe or opening been modified at all, or is the filler cap easy to remove/replace in its original position without any changes?
Old 9th October 2019, 23:11

The original Z3 hinged flap unbolts from a bracket in the Z3 wing. I marked out and cut the circle from the GRP body in the same relative position as on the Z3 wing.
The Grp disc was then bonded onto the Z3 flap. A simple bracket was made to hold the hinged flap which was first carefully aligned, then bonded onto the inner body with PU adhesive.
Once that was set I checked it opened, closed and still aligned, I glassed over the bracket.
No other mods were done, the opened flap is right in front of the filler cap.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 2nd December 2019 at 16:27..
Old 11th October 2019, 23:08

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The original Z3 hinged flap unbolts from a bracket in the Z3 wing. I marked out and cut the circle from the GRP 275 body in the same relative position as on the Z3 wing.
The Grp disc was then bonded onto the Z3 flap. A simple bracket was made to hold the hinged flap which was first carefully aligned, then bonded onto the inner body with PU adhesive.
Once that was set I checked it opened, closed and still aligned, I glassed over the bracket.
No other mods were done, the opened flap is right in front of the filler cap.
Thanks for making that clear - I had a vision of having to reach 'down a rabbit hole' and avoid dropping the cap into the void . Knowing the filler doesn't need to be altered is (to me) reassuring, because getting a seal on a pipe carrying fuel would appear to be difficult!
Old 13th October 2019, 18:29

Front end is nearly done, a fair bit of fettling and fitting required. I'm happy with the headlight bowls and the indicator recesses are finished. The front quarter bumpers have been fitted, they simply required an angled spacer behind the respective mounting brackets. I'm making up an aluminium infill panel for the grill, that will replace the GRP one supplied in the kit. That was used as a template and saved a fair bit of time and effort. My boot hinges have turned up so that will be on the list for this week. I also want to get the door skins done too and that will see the bulk of the build finished. Gone back on my thoughts for a silver / grey paint job, I'm thinking dark metallic red again !
Old 14th October 2019, 23:35

Paperwork sent off to the DVLA today. I thought it might be wise to get it in to re register the car before the end of the month ! Could be that the DVLA will be inundated with Brexit related license issues, who knows !
Old 15th October 2019, 02:56

molleur is on a distinguished road

Good move!
Old 16th October 2019, 21:26

Boot and hinges trial fitted, a little trimming around the edges and its looking good. I've decided on an authentic central boot lock rather than adapting the Z3 locking system. I moulded up a tapered lock recces which has now been glassed in place. So the boot is now locked manually and won't be part of the central locking system.
I've made a start on removing the moulding flash lines around the car. The mould was obviously aligned well during manufacture as it has only taken minimum of sanding so far.
Old 17th October 2019, 10:08

JBXF is on a distinguished road

What car are the new armrest off of please, I like the look of those?
Old 17th October 2019, 12:36

They were from a Mk1 MX5
Old 17th October 2019, 22:41

Moved onto the door skins today. The drivers side has been offered up, marked out and the door handle fitted. The hole in the Z3 door was made to access the internal mechanism. Easy enough just measure twice and cut once ! I'm going to make use of the Z3 key lock so I don't have to rely on the remote central locking totally.
The alignment of the skin looks good, both the front and rear edges, I'm aiming for an even 4mm gap all round.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 17th October 2019 at 23:30..
Old 18th October 2019, 23:17

Managed to progress the door skin a little further today. I've built up the back edge of the front wing area by around 5mm. After a little trimming I've got the desired panel gap and the door opens fully. I just need to do the same along the bottom of the door and the rear edge, but they should be easy !