Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 7th March 2012, 20:49

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Yes, if I had of thought of that before getting them made then that is what I would have done. Its not worth me getting them altered now as it will be a simple fix but would have looked a lot neater the other way.

I was suprised just how much I stuck out of the top when I trail fitted the body. I was hopefull that I wouldnt need to do it at all but the wind deflector would have just deflected the air straight into my face so I had no choice but to drop the seats.
Old 7th March 2012, 20:50

BazMason is on a distinguished road

Coming along nicely Gaz...Gardening leave is awesome isn't it!
Old 7th March 2012, 21:35

Gardening leave is great Baz, getting paid to build my car. Long may it continue!
Old 8th March 2012, 09:29

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

The Floor pan nearly deserves a thread of its own but I'm with the idea of a sloping arrangement, 3" at the back to level (Or just below) front seems to be optimal for the majority of driver heights.
Construction seems to vary between the agricultural to high tech and I've yet to decide which way I'll go on this. (Maybe even a wooden structure with glass reinforcement and weatherproofing?).
Gaz, Yours seems to be just right in plan form. Could I ask what the dimensions are? Did you get them built locally and would the fabricator be interested in building a few more?
Old 8th March 2012, 13:57

Andy, the pan is 20"x19" with a drop of 3" and a 2.5" lip all around. The width of 19" is more than enough for my seats and gives me plenty of room to adjust the position to where I want them although without any slope they would have to be made longer so that they could be move forward and back depending on drivers height. My plan is to make some hardwood wedges and bond/bolt in and fiberglass over them. I had them made up locally and I'm sure that it would be no problem to get some more made up.
Old 15th March 2012, 19:28

Although I have been working on the car almost every day I keep forgetting to take pictures as im packing up. I keep telling myself that I will take some pics tomorrow and update this but again I have not taken any pics so will update anyway.

I now have the body and interior fibre glassed in place and the inspection booked for Wednesday down in Poole. I visited my local DVLA office last week and spent half an hour talking to somebody and simply getting nowhere so the most simple option for me was to hire a trailer and make the 10 hour round trip.

I have replaced the front springs with softer spitfire springs. I had considered simply cutting the herald springs down but due to the drastic weight loss I thought that the spitfire springs may make the ride less harsh and lower the car at the same time. I will keep hold of the old springs incase I want to change back in the future but for now im happy with the amout it has lowered the front end.

I had a delivery today of a new electric fan and adjustable thermostat. I will have to wait until I get another delivery of longer radiator hoses before I can fit them but with the expansion tank I got from the scrap yard last week I should have everything I need to lower the radiator. I also have a new back box for the exhaust coming soon as the original was just a little too long to fit under the new body.

Fingers crossed, if all is well at the inspection, I could have the car ready to be painted within 2 weeks!!!

Last edited by GazDavies; 15th March 2012 at 19:57..
Old 15th March 2012, 20:06

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Wow! Fast progress. Would love to see some pics...
Old 15th March 2012, 20:15

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

blimey, you're motoring on with your build Gaz! Well done you.

As Mr T says, POST SOME PICS

It is great to see these builds progress and see how everyone is dealing with things along the way. It is also great to get ideas and inspiration!

Good luck on Wednesday, you'll be about 5 mins from my house, so I'll wave!!
Old 15th March 2012, 20:35

Thanks all. I was very lucky with my donor, it looked like it had been rebuilt with a lot of new/reconditioned parts not so long ago with nothing worse than a few spots of surface rust so the full rebuild I was planning just seemed pointless. I have also had very few work commitments so have been able to work on it most days.
Old 15th March 2012, 22:34

davecymru is on a distinguished road

As others have said, good luck for Wedmesday (not that you'll need it) it'll be a long day but well worth it and it is a memorable point in the build!
Old 20th March 2012, 16:45

garyh is on a distinguished road

Good luck for tomorrow, take some pics. garyh.
Old 20th March 2012, 20:16

Thanks. I will make sure that I get a few pics tomorrow and get them on here as soon as I can.

I have not done very much work on the car since my last update. I have been held up a little waiting on some bits and peices that I have ordered (radiator hose, fuel filler hose, exhaust silencer etc). I had planned to tidy the car up a little today but started the day by firing the car up to drive onto the trailer. It ran for 10-20 seconds then cut out! It didnt take too long to figure out that the fuel wasnt getting through so started at the fuel pump and worked my way back checking all of the fuel line as I went. After getting all the way back to the tank I knew that it must be the pipe inside the tank itself so had to remove all of the bolts and drop it to give me enough room to get it out under the body. Sure enough it was filled with crap so after drilling it out and getting it all put back together I didnt have the time to do any of the jobs that I wanted to do at the start of the day.

Lessons learned.
1. Dont over look anything and double check everything before the body goes on as its much easier to fix it then!
2. When starting up the engine, make sure that you re-attach the oil pressure tube to the gauge!
3. Put some padding on the rear outriggers until they fall off!
Old 20th March 2012, 20:33

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazDavies View Post
3. Put some padding on the rear outriggers until they fall off!
I think that there's more than one of us on here who knows exactly what you mean!
Old 21st March 2012, 06:35

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the process Gaz (Not that you'll need it!)
Herald + [Road Trip] = [Sammio Spyder]
Old 21st March 2012, 13:50

garyh is on a distinguished road

It Must Be A Sammio By Now?
Old 21st March 2012, 14:09

froggyman is on a distinguished road

We are all eagerly awaiting the results of your inspection like expectant fathers!!!!! I trust you will take the relevant paperwork around to your local office on return for reimbursement of the unecessary costs involved!!
Old 21st March 2012, 14:29

After a very early start I'm now most of the way home, no longer towing a Triumph herald but a Sammio Spyder! The inspection could not have been more simple, a quick check of the engine and chassis numbers and a very brief look around the car and it was over. I wasn't expecting any problems but still a little nervous about the process incase there was something that I had over looked but it really was very simple, no doubt due to them seeing several sammio builds in the past.

I will post a few pictures when I get home as I'm on my phone at the moment.

Big thanks to Gary for taking the time out of his very busy schedule to book it for me and come along with me to the inspection.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:35

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

well done Gaz, I am hoping mine will be in a few weeks. I live just up the road from where you took yours, so I am hoping mine will be as easy as yours was!

Looking forward to the pics......
Old 21st March 2012, 17:06

The 10 hour round trip was well worth the effort and as others have said, it feels like passing a milestone in the build.

I plan to spend the next few days having a tidy up of a few areas and getting the radiator lowered and hopefully have the bonnet fitted by the weekend. If all goes as planned I should hopefully have the car on the road in 4 weeks.

Last edited by GazDavies; 21st March 2012 at 17:11..
Old 21st March 2012, 17:09

BazMason is on a distinguished road

Nice one mate - just need to get it finished in time to take me to Stoneleigh in it!