Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 7th April 2019, 12:24

ChrisS is on a distinguished road
Default Gear stick positioning

Having not been able to progress my car for the last 8 months or so due to other family priorities I am now picking up on things from last summer.
Appreciate some input on engine alignment and gearstick positioning.
I have an M52 engine and with the engine mounts as supplied by Marlin with the gearbox mount in the centre of the transmission tunnel the gearbox drive flange seems quite nicely aligned with the rear diff flange.
However my concern is where that leaves the gearstick mount in relation to the transmission tunnel. While not obsessed with it being absolutely dead centre of the tunnel mine ends up hard over to one side. See attached pic. Surely this can’t be right. Looking at pics I have taken of various cars at shows etc it seems way off.
Before I get too deep into a solution I was wondering where others found their gearstick ending up and whether they had had any problems in getting them where they wanted them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E9B4A9F5-AA46-4E8B-83C7-BD3C8DD9A183.jpg (12.6 KB, 28 views)
Available from eBay
Old 8th April 2019, 18:11

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

That isn't good as you know. You say drive flange looks aligned, so it's a bit strange. New engine mounts.... are they handed? on correct sides? Just a thought (I don't have a Marlin BTW). It wouldn't take much movement at the engine mounts to create a large movement on the gear remote, but then (presumably) the drive flange would also change alignment, but maybe to a lesser extent? If nobody comes up with any pointers, is it feasible to loosen mountings and try some movement?
Old 8th April 2019, 18:27

Hi,

The engine mounts are handed but can only go on one way round. I have shuffled the engine around occasions and will have to give it another go. One thing I have to be careful of is that moving it more than a touch results in it getting far too close for comfort to the brake servo.
So looks like it will be something of a compromise.
Old 21st April 2019, 21:16
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Having not been able to progress my car for the last 8 months or so due to other family priorities I am now picking up on things from last summer.
Appreciate some input on engine alignment and gearstick positioning.
I have an M52 engine and with the engine mounts as supplied by Marlin with the gearbox mount in the centre of the transmission tunnel the gearbox drive flange seems quite nicely aligned with the rear diff flange.
However my concern is where that leaves the gearstick mount in relation to the transmission tunnel. While not obsessed with it being absolutely dead centre of the tunnel mine ends up hard over to one side. See attached pic. Surely this can’t be right. Looking at pics I have taken of various cars at shows etc it seems way off.
Before I get too deep into a solution I was wondering where others found their gearstick ending up and whether they had had any problems in getting them where they wanted them.
I think there is something odd about the position of that e39 gearshift.
Have you thought about trying a gearbox and shift mechanism from an e36 car? I think most Sportsters have been built using either e30 or e36 engine/gearboxes and I haven't seen a problem like this before.
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:54

It is worth an investigation. I have managed to get it to come across a bit by using the other set of engine mounts I got from Marlin. But it is still off centre.
Thanks

Last edited by ChrisS; 22nd April 2019 at 12:18..
Old 29th April 2019, 16:04

Needs a bit more investigation but I obtained a gearshift linkage from an E36 which has the same gearbox. It is much shorter than the e39 one which results in the gearchange being further forward where the transmission tunnel flares out. Much more like I have got in various Marlin photos from shows.
On offering all the bits up I can’t see any reason why it won’t work and allows me to position the gearstick far more centrally.

Last edited by ChrisS; 4th May 2019 at 19:17..