Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 29th December 2018, 08:09

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Jeff and anyone else who's still following this debate, which is probably getting quite tiresome for all involved.

I've taken a day off even accessing the madabout site to have a think about where all this is going, how it started in the first place and who's trolling who.

This is from Wikipedia -

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

Reading that, what I'm guilty of is getting drawn into responding emotionally to RochdaleGT (aka Micha)'s deliberately provocative posts, probably because I'm quite passionate and protective about our hobby.

If anyone cares to look, click on Rochdale's username then select 'Find all posts' and you'll see dozens and dozens of examples of an individual who repeatedly starts provocative topics, insulting other builders/owners cars without even seeing them, and criticising the UK kit car industry generally without ever contributing anything positive that couldn't just bee googled.

Check my post history and you'll find thousands of posts about building and running cars.

Okay, so you'll also find that I have, ahem, fairly strong opinions on some things and fell out with Jeff H over whether an amateur kit car builder should spray their own car or pay a professional to do it, and I should have just walked away from that when it became an all-out argument and stopped being a positive debate.

For that, and for calling you a troll, which you're not according to the definition above, Jeff H, I unreservedly apologise.

So, on reflection, the best thing I can do now is completely ignore any posts by Rohcdale/Micha, as in the grand scheme of things he really isn't going to damage our hobby by posting half-arsed insults about cars he's never seen while claiming a long, personal history of buying real lemons.

So, back to cars for me from now on, time for a quick shower then I'm off to the Brass Monkeys Run up to the North Norfolk Coast in my Midget. Hope to be making the same run in my 356 Speedster next year.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Old 29th December 2018, 09:42

Barber is on a distinguished road

Well said Mr Towed. I was listening to a radio program yesterday with Kelvin McKenzie, the infamous Sun editor who described the technique he used (and pointed out that Fat Boris uses the same approach) to take a little truth, then heavily lace it with utter tosh, then sit back an watch the flames go up.

In this regard, Jeff's recent advise not to get wound up is sensible. There are enough enthusiastic car builders, renovators, modifiers and maintainers on here to have sensible discussions without getting dragged into fabricated arguments with fantacists. Enough from me.
Old 29th December 2018, 12:50

rochdaleGT is on a distinguished road

as Mr Towed cannot contribute something Marlin-related, neither he is willing to accept my ownership of lots of british cars, i will now post something Marlin-related, straight from my garage:

https://imgur.com/a/RKfwTbt
(link to several pictures, all taken 29.12.2018 in my garage))

one here :

Last edited by rochdaleGT; 31st December 2018 at 12:39..
Old 30th December 2018, 00:12

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post

So, on reflection, the best thing I can do now is completely ignore any posts by Rohcdale/Micha,
Go to your user control panel and click on the edit ignore list on the left hand side

Add the members name and hey presto you’ll never have to see another post by them again
Old 30th December 2018, 09:39

Barber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redratbike View Post
Go to your user control panel and click on the edit ignore list on the left hand side

Add the members name and hey presto you’ll never have to see another post by them again
Thanks, done.
Old 30th December 2018, 21:55

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
Thanks, done.
I’ve had to use it on a couple of motorbike forums I frequent