Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion

Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion Formosa 120 GR and related builds

Old 21st January 2019, 14:59

lancelot link is on a distinguished road
Default New Norwegian Distributor

Following a successful trip to Norway this weekend , I am pleased to announce the Formosa 120GR is now available in Norway ...being marketed as the Formosa Ottoz and is available exclusively from Lars Otto Olsen in Tonsberg. The current versions to fit the Scimitar and Triumph Vitesse will be available but as a result of Norway's new relaxed build regulations and the rarity of the classic donors in Scandinavia , the Formosa Ottoz will also be available with a brand new space frame styled chassis to accept Ford axles . The package will be available as a rolling shell right through to a completed car ...Lars has already assigned build agents to build cars for him to various stages . For further information , please message me for full contact details and please note Lars has full Scandinavian exclusivity for Formosa packages , so any interested parties in Norway , Denmark or Sweden will be re-directed to Lars if received by myself ....

Available from eBay
Old 21st January 2019, 17:25

Barber is on a distinguished road

Fantastisk, gratulerer
Old 21st January 2019, 17:25

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Good news for business

Looks like a hardtop is needed to fend off the weather
Old 21st January 2019, 21:08

keith is on a distinguished road

Could be a good idea to offer a ford based chassis in Uk lots of possibilities? and would open up your car to people how don't want to restore old Triumphs
Old 21st January 2019, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Could be a good idea to offer a ford based chassis in Uk lots of possibilities? and would open up your car to people how don't want to restore old Triumphs
That has already been thought about ...being a new chassis with a late model axle arrangement , the car will be subject to IVA ...I am not a fan of that test but do accept that as time goes on , rarer and more expensive donors will make the new chassis option more appealing to many ....

The new chassis option will not be exclusive to Scandinavia , but it is the Scandinavian system that is justifying the development at the moment as on my trip over the weekend , I not only tied up a deal with Lars and met the father and son team lined up to build cars , I was introduced to two very genuine guys showing an interest as well as being informed about another guy in North Norway looking at building them to sell , all these people are looking at new chassis and modern running gear as it is no harder to register than a classic chassised donor now ...
Old 22nd January 2019, 07:08

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Maybe we should be looking at a Norway option Brexit so we can cherry pick that bit of legislation then?

Couldn't add any more conflict or confusion to the process, now, could it.
Old 22nd January 2019, 07:27
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Congrats on that news Gary.

I am liking their attitude to unique cars and the Formosa pictured sideways on ice is one we should see soon as possible.

Modern donor is an option lots would like but understand the IVA aversion. I would not want to go down that route being a first time builder of little skill.

Dave
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:08

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

If a Formosa was built on a Herald chassis or similar and the V5 was correctly registered, could the chassis be swapped at a later date? Obviously, as it was a new replacement chassis you would stamp it with the same chassis number.
Much easier build if you knew this "might" happen before embarking on the build.
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
If a Formosa was built on a Herald chassis or similar and the V5 was correctly registered, could the chassis be swapped at a later date? Obviously, as it was a new replacement chassis you would stamp it with the same chassis number.
Much easier build if you knew this "might" happen before embarking on the build.
If only it was that simple ....a replacement chassis must be an exact replacement for the factory item ...so the car would be still a Herald based car ...

There is a history of V5c Juggling in this country with kit cars using convenient but not correct V5c's to help ease legislative restrictions but that's being tightened down a lot nowadays ...
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:09

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

There is a lot of scope if you choose to rebody an existing kit car. If you pick one of the slightly less popular cars as a base you will still have a decent chassis, low mileage car in most cases to play with. When I wanted a donor for the TR project I put an ad in the local paper and got several calls. There are lots of unused kit cars out there in garages all around the country.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 22nd January 2019 at 18:46..
Old 22nd January 2019, 16:54

keith is on a distinguished road

IVA test should not put people off if they are keen to build a car of there dreams but want more modern running gear or to have a choice of engine etc.
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
IVA test should not put people off if they are keen to build a car of there dreams but want more modern running gear or to have a choice of engine etc.
Totally agree ... you can change engines and gearboxes on the classic chassised examples without compromising the IVA exemption ....
Old 22nd January 2019, 20:52

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Gary - And I thought it was cold driving around at zero degrees the other day.

Given their famously cold weather, it is a nice surprize to hear they like cars for the Summer too.

Also like the Cortina and van in the background.

Good luck, Paul.