Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 1st October 2008, 20:24
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road
Default GRP - The fitting

So what's the clue with fitting the body panels?

I seem to be jiggling and re-fitting round and round in a circle.

I am only trimming little bits off at a time to prevent over enthusiastic gaps appearing where I don't want them.

I am fitting only the rear clam, sides panels and dash board in an attempt to reduce the combinations but I don't seem to be able to find a consistent reference from which to work.

I am working forwards from the arch behind the seats to the dash board as the window screen is the only other fixed thing I can rely on. However, the side panels can float up down and forwards and backwards to a degree, it appears to ride high at the front and too far back. There does not appear to be anything at the front by the upright of the role cage for the side panel to sit on, if I run it forward to catch the rest its way out at the back, I guess I have to pack it up and fill the space with foam rubber as per the Marlin picture.

Mix that with the rear clam and the side panels not mating up properly and the position of the behind seats arch moves up and down changing the relative fits I feel like I am loosing ground.

I have checked the Marlin CD but its inconsistent and fails to detail where to start or how to make the joints fit properly.

The next plan is to just drill the fixing holes and lock it all up and take the hit on the holes having to be re-drilled if its so far out and I cannot accept the non-alignment.

and I have not even mentioned the mess the dust makes!

Knowing what I know now would probably practice fit the GRP first before the engine and wiring etc. are there to collect the dust, but that's hindsight for you.

What say you....
Available from eBay
Old 1st October 2008, 20:57
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

....mmmmmmmm.....many bad memories have come flooding back!!

I can appreciate your frustrations!! But rest assured it is not you, mine ..and all others...are equally challenging!

I fitted bodywork 3 times before I was happy with it and even then you have to compromise somewhere. Build CD is pants for bodywork and doesn't give you a clue.

Process I used:-

1) Removed roll cage to make the side panel fitting easier.

2) Left scuttle / dash moulding in place to allow lining up of the side panels.

3) Temp fit rear bulkhead trim piece (the one that the rear clam closes on to) and then use this as the reference. I ended up fitting this approx 15mm lower than Marlin reckoned to get the rear clam and side panels to line up.

4) Next I put the side panels on and bolted the front and rear clams to the side panels to get the shut lines right. Propped up the front and back clams on blocks to mimic hinge points and avoid stressing the joints.

5) Measured everywhere to check it was central to the chassis, even amounts from the ground etc, etc...

..then marked up the panels with marker pens & took it all off and made some adjustments..(repeat this x 2!)

..finally refitted bodywork and roll cage and then drilled parts to fit properly.

Horrible job. Took me about a month to get it right. Need to have breaks and gather thoughts in between!

Good luck.

P.S Measure twice, cut once!!!

Rich
Old 1st October 2008, 23:18
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

John - I think it's fair to say that it's a frustrating task, and one where you have to accept compromise. I don't think there is a universal solution as it seems all the bodies are different - every car I've seen has had the bodywork slightly differently aligned....

I started with the alignment of the side panels to the curved rear interior edge of the dash, whilst at the same time jugling the side panels against the rear bulkhead trim piece.

The more I measure / look at my bodywork, the more I realise the GRP panels aren't symetrical.... whether it is mounting distortion, or mould inaccuracy I couldn't tell you.

Good luck!
Old 2nd October 2008, 17:36
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

It's even more fun when you have doors.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:54
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road

Hiya,

Good to hear its coming on, must admit fitting the GRP is the bit I'm really not looking forwards to on the build.

Mind although I have my panels its someway off. My build has been put on hold for 3 months as I'm working Madrid, (writing this whilst eating tapas, sipping a beer and hooking onto the wifi). Am back in the Uk for a few days soon though so will hopefully touch the car then.

What colour did you decide for in the end for the panels?

David
Old 6th October 2008, 07:32
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

You got a job almost as good as mine. I cannot hear any Spanish music there though....

I have always intended that the GRP colour would be metallic blue so the jell coat was irrelevant.

Having spent some time trying to make the jell coat flat as opposed to smooth and the edges 'sharp' i.e. defined rather then vague I have breached the coating in many places. This I expected and its a shame that the GRP manufacturers failed to make a job of it. The jell coat on the top edge of the side panel is very thick but also very proud of the line so the outcome is inevitable. Its almost like they painted the jell coat on the edges after moulding as its in straight lines, its very rough and chips off very easily.

I can only hope the QA got put into your later delivery like the chassis did.

In an attempt to focus my own mind and to possibly assist others I am writing up how I set it all up to make it fit.

I would say to you though don't wait until you are ready for the panels to start work on them. There is a significant amount of fettling to be done and its best done in stages or you may get careless in the approach , if you do not intend to paint the jell coat it will take a long time to get it smooth without breaking through.

JohnC