Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 2nd May 2006, 13:41
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road
Default Sva

Well the journey to the test station this morning al be it only 4 miles with no windscreen was a bit chilly to say the least.
The examiner was very nice he introduced himself and explained that no Kitcar has ever passed first time at the Taunton station.
We then went on to do the test and had some minor and a couple more serious issues which ended up with getting a failure.
Listed below are the points:
1. Park brake handle not 2.5mm radius
2. Rear foglamp loose on bracket
3. various items not meeting radius requirments on front suspension
4. Bonnet catches (Marlin supplied SVA compliant Stainless steel) dont meet required radius
5. No collapsable feature or sufficient angle in steering column
6. Front indicators more than 400mm from edge of car and held on with nyloc nuts which havent enough thread showing through them.
7. a few wiring protection issues.
8. both front brake hoses foul wheel on full lock
9. Rear axle design weights (Supplied by Marlin) too light
10. VIN number too long has to be between 10 and 17 digits.(Mine as stamped on car by Marlin is 18 digits)

Fixes
1. Refit original E30 handbrake handle.
2. Tighten bracket
3. cover all sharp edges including nuts with rubber hose held on with cable ties
4. cover catches with rubber hose
5. Take off donor car wheel fit Momo wheel with colapsable boss and cover the sharp edges on wheel
6. make up extension brackets for indicators and replace nuts with non nyloc
7. sleeve wiring and add more clips.
8. adjust position of brake hoses.
9. get correct weights from Marlin I will advise you guys of the results here.
10. Speak with Terry to confirm number is correct and adjust.

There was a couple of other issues sorted at the test centre
1. Headlamp alignment
2. Dip & Mainbeam wrong way round
3. Speaker wires in boot needed clipping back
4. Standard Marlin seats didnt meet requirement for seatbelt leverage.
This basically calculated by a set square a spirit level and a bit of string said the seat back was too low against the height of the seat sqaub(resolved this by removing seat sqaub cushion)

It was quite exileration watching the car doing 70 mph on the rolling road and it sounded wonderfull talking of which the exhaust noise test was 85db with the Marlin twin exhaust system.

OK should all take best part of a day to sort then book 15 minute retest and im on the road.
The car did drive very well apart from the steering which was awfull until i stopped off at a garage on the way home and had the steering alignment done which was miles out now its great.
Available from eBay
Old 2nd May 2006, 14:09
Enthusiast

Alfie is on a distinguished road

Bad luck Stuart but well done for doing such a good job so as not to have any major,major issues to sort out. I dont really follow the point about the steering column. Are they saying the BMW one is not good enough?

Alfie.
Old 2nd May 2006, 14:11
Enthusiast

No what they are saying is that the angle of the long shaft in engine compartment and the angle of the steering column inside the car is too straight so needs a colpasable section. The angle needs to be between 10 & 35 degrees mines more like 5 degrees.
Old 2nd May 2006, 15:19
Enthusiast

OK. I see now. ( a bit slow sometimes!). It doesnt bode well for me if Taunton have failed every car so far. I probably live even closer to that testing station than you. Perhaps I should just put my car in as it is and let them tell me what to do to pass!

Alfie.
Old 2nd May 2006, 15:25
Enthusiast

Give me a bell Alfie and we can meet up I will willingly help with any questions you have you may even have answers to a few i have still
Old 2nd May 2006, 16:30
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the report! I'm glad they are all quickly fixable things. I will put the momo wheel on mine and cover the edges for my test. Little worring about the chassis number, need to check mine.
Old 2nd May 2006, 16:48
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default Sva

Hello Stuart

Thanks for the report. It seems that the SVA centres all interpret the rules slightly differently. I thought that you might fail on the brake fluid reservoir as mounting it on the master cylinder means the fluid is at an odd angle and the low level indicator would not work properly - I guess that is why Marlin normally use a remote reservior....

Are you going to ask Marlin about the steering column issue - I thought it was designed in such a way that you shouldn't need a colapsible boss, in fact I thought the BMW column itself has a collapsible element in it. (although how you prove that I don't know).

Did you get some actuall measured weights for the front and rear axles - I believe the SVA people use this in conjunction with the design weights. It would be great to get some "real" weights so I can complete my spring calculations.

If you feel like writing a bit more it would also be usefull to know what edges have to be covered up on the front suspension and wings...

Cheers

Robin
Old 2nd May 2006, 20:02
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Well done Stuart, nothing too serious, but I agree that the steering one is the most worrying.
I've read so many articles saying to fit the original car's steering wheel because after market ones don't meet the SVa requirements. Now it seems they want them fitted.
How did they measure the angle of the steering column to the extension piece because you can't see both parts together?
I've just measured a picture of mine (side on view) with a school protractor (yes i know that's not scientific, but it's probably more that the SVA inspector!). Anyway, my pictures measure 12 degees on two separate photo's.

Perhaps you could post some pictures of all your fixes, once you've fully passed?

Peter
Old 6th May 2006, 17:57
Enthusiast

Default Axle Weights

Hello Stuart

Any chance of those axle weights from yor SVA test?

Cheers

Robin
Old 6th May 2006, 20:37
Enthusiast

Not too sure of the exact weights at the moment I will confirm what they are after my retest on Tuesday. Didnt take much notice of what he was saying other than the design weights given me by Marlin were too light on the back.
Old 7th May 2006, 08:47
Enthusiast

Default Axle Weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
Not too sure of the exact weights at the moment I will confirm what they are after my retest on Tuesday. Didnt take much notice of what he was saying other than the design weights given me by Marlin were too light on the back.
OK Stuart - much appreciated. Good luck with the retest

Robin
Old 9th May 2006, 10:51
Enthusiast

As we live so close,I managed to get a look at Stuarts car at the w'end---very nice job! The sva failure points seemed incredibly petty but I guess that's the rules! Hope it goes through ok today. Should do.

Alfie.
Old 10th May 2006, 07:59
Enthusiast

Smile

All passed Guys
There was a bit of concern with the methods used to cover up the sharp edges (Mainly Heater Hose) but he let it go.
The weights measured with a full tank of fuel and no one in the car were:
Front = 380kg
Rear = 460kg
I was suprised to find the rear heavier than the front.
Off to my local dvla office now to get a reg no and some tax, then i am sure you know what ill be doing with a very big grin on my face.
Old 10th May 2006, 08:35
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Well done 840Kg's sounds good - lighter than the M powered ones (from the owners club forum click):

Quote:
Re: How much does a Sportser weigh?.
Posted by John (Warwick) on 27th Apr 06, 16:21
Hi Sue
As I replyed to Martin

I was unaware of this great weight debate as I have not been looking at the forum.

So the Kerbside weight of a BMW E36 M3 Sportster 3.2 321bhp with the original limited-slip diff. and five speed box is 1040kg.

1st axle 470kg
2nd Axel 570kg
Old 10th May 2006, 09:02
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Old 10th May 2006, 12:06
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Hmmmmm
Not so happy now ive been down the local DVLA.
I now have to have the car inspected by them to proove the age related parts are fitted to the vehicle (Anything up to a 6 week wait). I also have to fill out a pile of forms and to top all this off they want a MOT done on it as well.
Needless to say the big grin factor has just dropped to a big sad face well at least for a few weeks more.
Old 10th May 2006, 12:28
Enthusiast

Default Weights and wait

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the weights.

I am surprised that you now have to wait for someone to inspect the vehicle for age related parts - does anyone know if that is normal - or is it another procedure that is related to what testing station that you use - I don't remember anyone else mentioning it.

At least you can legally drive the car to and from the MOT - you'll have to arrange a test a nice long way away....

Cheers - and the wait will be worth it!

Robin
Old 10th May 2006, 21:12
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Talking

Well done, Stuart, Congratulations on getting this far!

Perhaps, when you have some time, you could post some pictures of your 'fixes' to get you through the test.

thanks

Peter
Old 11th May 2006, 20:29
Enthusiast

MOT done today sailed through though examiner had a problem with the new computer system and me not having a reg number. He entered my VIN number which was also not recognised by DVLA suprise suprise.
Onto the next step back to the local DVLA office tomorrow to organise the inspector visit hoping that it wont be long. ill keep you all posted.
Old 18th May 2006, 13:00
Enthusiast

Inspector came yesterday and approved car for a age related plate. It will now take about a week to get reg number and tax. Just a note to you all i spoke with the inspector and he does a 4 week round of the west country I was lucky caught him the week before he did my area otherwise could have waited nearly a month. It would benefit all if you booked him to inspect your car when you are nearing completion not after your SVA.