Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Italian Replica builds and chat

Italian Replica builds and chat Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lancia, any Italian replica car build and chat

Old 23rd November 2012, 23:59

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Wot no aircon??

Nice replica...
Old 24th November 2012, 09:39

L5000s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
Italians really do have a sense of humour

the brits are worse Dave, mine don't even open
Old 24th November 2012, 21:54

AcC8braman is on a distinguished road

Are they elec or manual?
Old 25th November 2012, 16:46

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Manual. Passengers side one works fine but the drivers side one will need fettling while I've got the door card off to replace the gas ram.

But the biggie of the weekend is that I've had the engine started and I've begun setting up the carbs. Luckily they're Strombergs and are just bigger versions of what was fitted to the Sammio so i know what goes where and how to tune and balance them. I just need a Rover V8 book!

I've also removed the gear selector plate, stripped off the existing anti-reversal latch (a brass door lock! Towed would have approved, but it just looked odd) and I'm cleaning the plate, filling the extra holes and repainting it. I've also removed the leather surround which didn't look right but i can imagine was there for SVA purposes?

Finally for now, the chrome chav gear-knob is off and a nice period leather replica one is ready to go on (cheers fleabay!). I'll just need to engrave a top plate for it as i can't find a commercial one with the right gear pattern.
Old 27th November 2012, 21:16

chav gear-knob!!! lol

come on, need more pics

I'm hoping to get mine back in a few weeks so will be update the site a lot
Old 4th December 2012, 15:32

Drivers door gas ram now replaced so i no longer knock myself unconscious every time i get in/out! I didn't have these sort of problems with the Spyder!

I've also found a flaw in how the drivers door window winder is fixed, so i'll adjust that while the door card is off as it's nothing world-ending, just fiddly to do.

I've now also had the rear end apart to check plumbing etc. and I've found that the rads are fitted at a very shallow angle that i'm not at all comfortable with, so I've now removed them and I'm looking at alternative options.
i.e. refit them more upright, or replace with alternative rads, or get some custom rads made and completely re-plumb, or, or, or....

The other thing i've found is that the gear change is connected with rods rather than cables (i wish i'd kept the ones from the MR2 now!) and it seems to have acquired a bit of play over the years so that getting into reverse requires more room that the selector plate allows.
I'll give this a once over when I've got the new rads fitted.
Old 4th December 2012, 16:29

garyh is on a distinguished road

At least when you work on the door, you can have it at eye level...
Old 4th December 2012, 17:46

Good update.

I might be able to help out with the mr2 gear selector if you need it?
Old 8th December 2012, 20:14

Hi Dave, what gas rams did you use?

Now my frames, glass and elec lift motors are in, they are not man enough, are they adjustable ones?

Might not be getting the car back until feb/mar now as I will be getting it painted by SMS in the new year and dc will be then doing the leather and carpets
Old 11th December 2012, 10:32

I went to these people:
http://www.strutsdirect.co.uk/compon...gas-struts.php
and i ended up with an SD02-200.

I did try the SD01 first as i wasn't able to take my doors off to weigh them, but it wasn't up to the job. The SD02 when fitted is more than enough for me, so i'm happy!

Good luck with teh paint and trim, i intend of doing all of the paint rectification on mine myself. but i'll leave that until it warms up next year and after i've had change to get it on the road and enjoy it for a bit first!

Personally i don't care if it's got a few cracks or chips for the time being as that's all part of the fun/experience
Old 15th December 2012, 19:10

I've got a new favourite toy, a rivnut kit!
http://www.rivet-nut.com/Rivnut_Fasteners.asp
Well.... a cheap copy from ebay, but it does the same job.

The reason for buying this is that a lot of bits were/are fixed with self tappers, over time they just slacken up, especially the ones into the fibreglass so they will be replaced with riv-nuts. I have just used them on the drivers door panel and they work a treat!

Last edited by davecymru; 15th December 2012 at 19:18..
Old 15th December 2012, 20:15

ian roberts is on a distinguished road

Dave those rivnut tools are just great, I dont know how people attached things in the old days .......
Old 16th December 2012, 09:38

My hunt for new radiators is drawing near the end (at least for the moment!)

I've been quoted "from" £250, per-radiator for custom made rads, which in this day and age i think is OTT as all the custom allow rads are basically 2 welded boxes with the same thing between them! So i was convinced that i could get something ready made that would be close-enough that would do the job just as well, especially given how much more efficient modern alloy rads are.

I whipped out the old rads which were MK1 Vauxhall Cavalier ones and mounted a bit shallow for my liking and I made up a few card templates to see what the absolute max size i can fit if i want to go perpendicular to the airflow and the max space i've got to play with is 380mmx400mm, or a bit taller if i go narrower.

So after a few weeks doing measurements, reading and googling i'm going to try a pair of modern deep core 'old-skool' Mini-rads!
They measure up at:
Core Size: H270mm×W 258mm×D50mm
With the overall size: H387mm×W282mm×D83mm

So narrower than i wanted, but much deeper
They all seem to be made in china and he's an example from fleabay:

And at the end of the day, if they aren't up to the job i can always sell them on!

It's worth noting that due to the masterco chassis design (which is v_nice!), i have quite restricted space as i have a chassis tube running through the edge of the airbox space and if that wasn't there i could have gone for some larger rads such as Honda Civic (92-00) rads. I'll add the info i found on them for the owners of some of the other brands of other Lambo in case its of use/interest to you guys?

Core: 350 x 350 x50mm
With the overall size: 420 x 360 x 50mm

Old 4th January 2013, 18:56

Hi Dave,

Hope you had a great chrimbo?

Any news on the car?

Mine will be going into the body shop imminently
Old 9th January 2013, 20:50

Any updates Dave?

Body shop for mine his week, eeck another huge bill on its way. Then back in for Leather work accompanied by a huge bill!!

Last edited by AcC8braman; 9th January 2013 at 21:01..
Old 9th January 2013, 22:05

Sadly there is nothing much to feed back yet as I'm _still_ waiting for my radiators to get through customs and until they're in and the car is mobile again I'm at a bit of a bottleneck

That said, I did use the rivnut tool and i removed the self-tappers that were holding the door cards on and i've fitted riv-nuts so that i can now take the cards on and off easily. It's not major, but i've got a few inner-door jobs to do (fix winders, fit new gas ram to passengers door, fit remote controlled central locking) and this will mean that i won't cause any damage as i go.

Did i hear that you've cracked your windscreen? what happened?
Old 10th January 2013, 07:21

I was moving it in the garage and the dog was startled and ran into me. Caught the edge of it and cracked it!! Hey ho, will be off to Kent soon to get a new one made up. Bit of work to do to the roof as its very tight first.

Now that all the work has been done to the doors, it's too heavy for the rams so will be getting new ones for mine and will check out the place you got yours from.

Went to dc the other day as they have some wheels in - 25th ones and qv. The rears on the qv are spot on and have Lamborghini cast in to the wheel rim but the fronts are reworked image ones so don't really match, also the offset on them means all the work done on the wishbones and rack will have to change, so still looking for some

Looking forward to more progress updates when the rads arrive
Old 16th January 2013, 13:15

The radiators are here, whoo hoo! I will get some pics and hopefully start fitting them tonight.

Just out of interest i will do a volume test to see how much liquid they can hold compared to the old ones, but given that these will be upright in the airflow and will eventually be cowled-in, I'm expecting them to be considerably more efficient than what was there previously.

As long as my plumbing bits-n-bobs turn up from CBS on Friday, i may even try and fire her up the weekend. Just in time for the snow!

Note: For those who didn't follow my Sammio Spyder build, every major milestone i came to (VOSA inspection, engine started, on the road, mot) was met with.... weather! So i'm fully expecting blizzards this weekend!
Old 16th January 2013, 15:53

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Best get your thermals on if you are venturing out tonight! I've been outside all day and have come in now to thaw out. Good luck with the rads. Don't forget your antifreeze!
Old 18th January 2013, 16:01

I've now fabricated some mounting brackets for the new radiators and while the back end is apart i'm also taking some time to do a bit of tidying-up as i go.

Here's the drivers side one balanced in place and it fills the space very nicely! It actually looks like I've got more space than i have on this photo as it also sits well up into the airbox, so it should "catch the flow" as well

I am also quite impressed at how deep these rads are at 50MM with twin cores. So once these are plumbed in i'll also start to fabricate some shrouds to channel the air into and out-of the right orifices (oh matron!)