Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 26th June 2013, 08:19

w3526602 is on a distinguished road
Default What chop is allowed?

Hi,

Is there a general rule of thumb that gives guidance as to what can be cut off, or welded on, to a chassis before DVLA and their friends start to mutter about "radical alterations"?

I'm just day-dreaming at present (which is probably as far as SWMBO will let me go), but would DVLA frown at me if I took a Triumph Spitfire chassis and chopped off everything in front of the steering rack?

I'll see if Ican find a picture of "one I did earlier" (about 40 years ago)

Available from eBay
Old 27th June 2013, 10:07
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3526602 View Post
Hi,

Is there a general rule of thumb that gives guidance as to what can be cut off, or welded on, to a chassis before DVLA and their friends start to mutter about "radical alterations"?

I'm just day-dreaming at present (which is probably as far as SWMBO will let me go), but would DVLA frown at me if I took a Triumph Spitfire chassis and chopped off everything in front of the steering rack?

I'll see if Ican find a picture of "one I did earlier" (about 40 years ago)

Hi, my advise it to chop nothing, do no welding use only brackets using existing holes. build as much as you can, then take the rolling chassis/project to your local DVLA and get it inspected.
Only after the inspection and once the altered V5 is recived then "things" can fall off
Old 27th June 2013, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
Only after the inspection and once the altered V5 is recived then "things" can fall off
Hi,

Good thinking.I was assuming that if not SVA was required, thjen therewould be not need to alter the V5, so no inspection would be required.

But, of course, the Type of Body (or whatever) will be different.

I presume that the inspection will be to confirm that the changes have actually been carried out. Would they go all snotty if I simply nailed a soap box to the chassis, and called it a "sports car", then tidied it up for the MOT at a later date? Er ... I AM joking, but then again, my wife (years ago) had to inspect boxes of bits, which did have tax discs. They were intended Cherished Transfer donors. At that time she was not allowed to demand to see the MOTs. But that was then

Old 27th June 2013, 18:54
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

As I am awear the answer is yes you can nail a soap box to a chassis.
The car just has to be 90% complet at the time of inspection.

The V5 has to be altered as the vehicle's appearance has been changed and what you name it is down to you.
I Recently registered a re-bodied Reliant Scimitar as a "Hillbilly Hot rod" even the tax disc reads "Hillbilly"
Old 29th June 2013, 08:33

even the tax disc reads "Hillbilly"

Hi,
Way backin the very early days of DVLC, somebodyobjected to his car being described as MERCEDES, body type 2-AXLE RIGID BODY.

The staff went to a lot of trouble to change the make to MERCEDES DOG CART, but the body type remained as 2-AXLE RIGID. I think it was a 1901model.

OT .... Somebody produced his birth certificate to prove he was born on 29th February, NOT in a leap year. The computer had been programmed to reject such dates. ;-)

Old 5th July 2013, 17:34

Hi,

Here is one I done earlier.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/w3526602/TRIUMPHHOTRODNSF_zps33cc371c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I hope that worked, you may need to click the link. When I say”earlier”, I mean in about 1973, when I had little more that a Dead & Blacker drill, and a stick welder. This was built on a Triumph Vitesse chassis, with the body made out of 16G steel sheet. The 2000cc engine had no problems throwing you back in the seat. The radiator shell was fabricated in 10G steel, that’s about 3mm thick, and the shape involved drawing round a coat hanger. I’m posting it here, as its an example of what I mean by “chopping everything in front of the steering rack”. Actually, for some reason, this pic is a mirror image, as the outside handbrake was on the off-side.

And here’s a pic of the rear end.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/w3526602/TRIUMPHHOTRODNSR_zps96ec1673.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

As you can see, I chopped the rear out-riggers. What you can’t see is that I cut most of the side out-riggers away too. I can’t remember what the petrol tank was from, but the windscreen glass was from the back door of an A35 van.

Whatever, I got involved with buying a new Wimpy super-home, and never finished this project. Plod stopped us while we towing it to it's new home, but let us continue.

Old 5th July 2013, 17:35

Ah,

That didn't work, what did I do wrong?

Old 7th July 2013, 08:51

Hi,

Last try before giving up

[/URL]

[/URL]