Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 9th July 2007, 09:35
Kit Car Dreamer

Chris71 is on a distinguished road
Default What car for fun on a budget?

Hi,

Toying with the idea of getting another kit car (completed this time due to time/space restrictions!) The idea is it would be a fun car, mostly just for weekend use. I'd like to keep the price low (£3k or preferably less) something like a 7 clone would be quite good, but I'm open to suggestions. Emphasis is on fun factor and handling rather than outright pace (but that's good too! )

Ideas so far.....

My first thought was a Phaeton. I know these are a little primitive, but £2.5k would buy you a very well specced, highly developed example with something like a 2.0 zetec or a rover V8.

Next - equally ugly, but rather better engineered is the Sylva Leader. Suspect this would be a big step up in driving dynamics care of it's Jeremy Phillips designed chasis. Don't really know a huge ammount about them, but I gather most have the Fiat twincam and I've yet to find one that doesn't sit comfortably within my budget.

Locost - probably a book-built car to a relatively low spec for this price. How good are they?

Robin Hood - I'm told these go and handle rather like, well a Sierra? The ones I've seen look like fairly well finished cars, but a lot of people seem to slate them, why?

Vindicator Sprint - don't know a huge ammount else about these, aren't they Sierra based too?

Sylva Mojo - do they normally fit in this price range? Nice looking 4age based one in the classifieds.

Please let me know what you think of the above or any alternative ideas.

Last edited by Chris71; 9th July 2007 at 18:50.. Reason: I've since learnt to spell
Available from eBay
Old 9th July 2007, 16:17
Enthusiast

Vindi_Andy is on a distinguished road

vindicator is sierra based but because your loosing at least half the weight in any kit they go better than a sierra

Handling wise the vindicator is good IMHO and altough it is longer than most kits does have a decent amount of room and all of the major weight is inside the wheel base which give less of a pendulum action

check out www.vindicator.co.uk for details on the cars

Editted to add there are some vindicators running Vauxhall redtops and Toyota 4AGE engines too
Old 9th July 2007, 17:50
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

I'm a fan of the Sylva Leader, never owned one but was the car that really got me interested in kit cars. Don't think you'll go wrong with one of these, and I don't think they are ugly either, think they look bang on. If finances go according to plan I may even be in the market for one next year.

http://www.classic-kitcars.com/22/22picgallery.htm

The Mojo you mention

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitc...ale.php?id=773

looks like a bargain to me. Obviously you can't tell from the pictures but I must say I thought the price was a mistake but the owner has never tried to get it altered. Looks like great fun for the money.

John
Old 9th July 2007, 19:01
Kit Car Dreamer

Chris71 is on a distinguished road

It did kind of surprise me, but I've since seen a few other vindicators (well, I think that one elsehwere plus one ohter) for that sort of price. Sounds like quite a lot of car for the money. No doubt they go a lot better than a Sierra, just seem to remember some of the older 7 clones used virtually a complete Sierra floor pan with their geometry and stuff too? (may be completely wrong there, but thought Robin Hood did initially) Looking at the website, the Vindicator appears to be a fairly well developed spaceframe.

Think the Leader is currently the favoured choice. The impression I get from speaking to people elsewhere is that it's as capable on the track as cars costing four times as much (the only two I could find advertised were priced at around £1500, well specced and allegedly in VGC) Think I can live with the challenging styling for that. Plus I'm quite an individual myself, so I think the rather 'unusual' looking Sylva would grow on me!
Old 9th July 2007, 19:59
Enthusiast

Fuoriserie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris71 View Post
I
) Think I can live with the challenging styling for that. Plus I'm quite an individual myself, so I think the rather 'unusual' looking Sylva would grow on me!
You could always modify the styling, reshape the fiberglass front and rear panels, with a modern look.......

I agree with you on the leader, being the best bang for buck, but I would be really tempted, by the Sylva Mojo at that price.....

Italo