Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Seven Style builds

Seven Style builds Westfields, Caterham, Dax Rush, Luego, Robin Hood, Tiger, Locust, MK, RAW, Quantum, you name it, you're building it, share it here.

Old 18th April 2009, 20:06

andygardiner79 is on a distinguished road
Default reg help

hi i'm looking to build my first kit car soon a robinhood super spec but i want it on a current reg i.e xx09 xxx how do i do this will i have to buy a brand new engine or rebuilt engine or can I use the donar car engine.

many thanks
Available from eBay
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:53
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

Andy

The rules of the DVLA are clear once you get to the words you need to read.

In a 'nut shell', you need the invoice of the kit to prove it’s new with all the new parts listed for clarity or a sales sheet detailing the contents of the std kit of bits. If you buy a part completed kit it is essential you get that invoice or you are ‘Q plated’ or in the case of Robin Hood you have to pay for a chassis plate and a statement of age declaration (been there, done that).

They judge the car on what they refer to as the 5 major components of the car to determine its age classification: - Engine, suspension, transmission, body and chassis.

You are allowed one refurbished item in that group and they will want to see the invoices for each claimed new and refurbished item.

In most cases the engine as well as the transmission i.e. gearbox- rear diff drive shafts etc. could well be donor provided so you need to make sure you are covered, they do not dwell on the smaller components like the drive shafts but if there is a debate, invoices to prove they are new could swing the argument. At least clean and paint them so they look the part.

The VIC inspector if he attends your workshop does not make the decision, he collects the data and evidence and the judgement is made back at the office with his recommendation taken into account.

I have heard that if the Speedo reading is greater then 10 miles that is a negative so watch the test run mileage as you need all the positives you can get as there is little chance of appeal.

As I am on their mailing list as a builder I now get their regular post based news letter, I am sure that they would add others on request. One point they stated recently was that the DVLA now expect photographic evidence of donor’d parts, the old V5 is not sufficient to acquire an age related plate so keep a full record of the change process from rusty heap to butterfly, taking special care to capture the serial numbers where they exist, on the way through.

Hope this helps

eaa53

Last edited by eaa53; 22nd April 2009 at 08:59.. Reason: added word
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:12

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaa53 View Post

I have heard that if the Speedo reading is greater then 10 miles that is a negative so watch the test run mileage as you need all the positives you can get as there is little chance of appeal.

Shame most SVA stations are 50+miles away - so thats 100 miles+ to start with
Old 22nd April 2009, 18:09

Thanks eaa53

I'm going to be buying a brand new kit from robin hood so invoices will not be a problem.
so as i understand that I can put a brand new engine in and get the donar transmission recond and show the invoice for it and I should be able to reg it on a i.e 09 plate as long as i tart up the donar parts with a good degrease a jet wash and a lick of paint.
sorry if i sound thick but doing my homework before I embark on this project as dont fancy a run in with the dvla there useless at the best of times.

also do I have to get the sva test done before i reg it or can i reg it before the sva test
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:16
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygardiner79 View Post
Thanks eaa53

I'm going to be buying a brand new kit from robin hood so invoices will not be a problem.
so as i understand that I can put a brand new engine in and get the donar transmission recond and show the invoice for it and I should be able to reg it on a i.e 09 plate as long as i tart up the donar parts with a good degrease a jet wash and a lick of paint.
sorry if i sound thick but doing my homework before I embark on this project as dont fancy a run in with the dvla there useless at the best of times.

also do I have to get the sva test done before i reg it or can i reg it before the sva test
You will have to have it tested before it can be registered. Unfortunately as of the end of this week the SVA is no more and has been replaced with the IVA. It is essentially the same as the SVA except it is more expensive and the powers that be are taking the opportunity to tighten up a lot of the rules.

Robin
Old 23rd April 2009, 08:28
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

Andy

You have the essence of it.

I condition all of this with talk to the DVLA to confirm these points but at least you are asking a question you know the answer too (Zen principle).

I found the Oxford and Bristol offices of the DVLA both very helpful, pedantic but helpful.

As MartinClan indicated (MoT not actually required, by preference for me as an independent check) IVA, VIC and then register.

As a time line:-
• IVA will be 3-4 months to request and complete with one retest,
• to get the registration paperwork right and submitted about 2 months (I visited the DVLA office 3 times before it was acceptable to me (to get what I wanted) and to the desk officer, each visit was 3 hours parking and waiting with 3 minutes at the desk,
• VIC will be 3-6 weeks
• Generally Registration about 3-4 weeks.

Remember that you have to have a valid insurance certificate (this should be forward dated) with the registration application as they issue 6 or 12 months tax with the plate manufacture certificate.

You are right to do the pre planning as it took me 6 months from holding the SVA to legally driving the car on the road.

Building the car is one project getting it legal on the road is the second.

eaa53
Old 23rd April 2009, 18:22

Thanks guys

hopefully when the time comes to go in to battle with them i'll stand a better chance of getting what i want
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:46
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaa53 View Post
Andy

As MartinClan indicated (MoT not actually required, by preference for me as an independent check) IVA, VIC and then register.

As a time line:-
• IVA will be 3-4 months to request and complete with one retest,
• to get the registration paperwork right and submitted about 2 months (I visited the DVLA office 3 times before it was acceptable to me (to get what I wanted) and to the desk officer, each visit was 3 hours parking and waiting with 3 minutes at the desk,
• VIC will be 3-6 weeks
• Generally Registration about 3-4 weeks.

Remember that you have to have a valid insurance certificate (this should be forward dated) with the registration application as they issue 6 or 12 months tax with the plate manufacture certificate.

You are right to do the pre planning as it took me 6 months from holding the SVA to legally driving the car on the road.

Building the car is one project getting it legal on the road is the second.

eaa53

I think that is unusually long?

I had my number plates on my car fully registered 3 weeks after my SVA test and i didn't start the registration process until after my SVA test was passed.
Mine was an age related single donor build so maybe that is more straight forward but i doubt it.

You need to start your insuarance before your SVA/IVA test if you are planning to drive the car to the VOSA test centre.

Good luck with you build

cheers

Peter
Old 24th April 2009, 12:46
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I think that the time taken varies depending on which office you use. Now could be a good time to do it as, while the SVA to IVA change takes place, there won't be many new kit cars being registered.

Perhaps we should have a survey on which DVLA office is quickest.... (Not that it would interest me )

Robin
Old 24th April 2009, 16:50

well theres no chance of doing it now as i've not even ordered the kit yet and got to move house first so i've got a garage to build it in but shouldnt be to long now might stand a chance of getting it tested around new year all been well.
I live in birmingham so should not be too bad as it is quite a large dvla office and the vosa test centre is 5 mins up the road so i might pop up there and see them aswell before i start building to get advice if they willing to help me that is

thanks guys