Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 27th February 2009, 14:04
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road
Default Seat runners and exhaust tips

Hi all
1. Can anyone recommend a good source for seat runners? Marlin are out of stock atm. I am using the same Cobra seats as Patrick.
2. I know the exhaust tips have to have rolled edges for SVA, but as I am using the side exhausts, the tips are bent at about 135 degrees and then cut off, so I can't work out how to get rolled edges. All the add-ons I have found would fit on straight exhaust ends, but I don't think they would fit on my bent ends, which have more of an elliptical cross-section. Any ideas ?
Thanks
Tim
Available from eBay
Old 27th February 2009, 15:02
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
2. I know the exhaust tips have to have rolled edges for SVA, but as I am using the side exhausts, the tips are bent at about 135 degrees and then cut off, so I can't work out how to get rolled edges. All the add-ons I have found would fit on straight exhaust ends, but I don't think they would fit on my bent ends, which have more of an elliptical cross-section. Any ideas ?
In speaking with Terry about the legality of the side pipes before the BIVA guidlines where updated to remove the clause that would have effectively banned them, she mentioned that the side pipes weren't technically legal under SVA due to the tips.

She then explained that what they usually do for the test is rotate the silencer 180 degrees so that the tip is pointing under the floor of car, and once through, rotate it to it's normal position.
Old 27th February 2009, 15:13
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
She then explained that what they usually do for the test is rotate the silencer 180 degrees so that the tip is pointing under the floor of car, and once through, rotate it to it's normal position.
That is brilliant
I wish they would share all these gems like Simon told me to wind up the front supnsion to get the headlights to the right height and then wind them down again after the test!
Old 27th February 2009, 18:20
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Hi all
1. Can anyone recommend a good source for seat runners? Marlin are out of stock atm. I am using the same Cobra seats as Patrick.
Thanks
Tim
I'm using the seat runners from cobra, you need to lift them slightly off the floor so that there is enough room for mechanism to work. However I've put cross bracing support bolted to the chassis as well as the floor in the form of a small square tube of metal:

Old 2nd March 2009, 19:04
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. Will try rotating the exhausts and see if it gets through!
I like Patrick's solution for the seat runners but I also quite like the idea of mounting the seats at a slight angle as per the Marlin design, which I presume works OK?. But I will have to make my own doubling plate and Z angle bar. Does anyone have the dimensions for these please?
Thanks
Tim