Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 28th February 2006, 10:39
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default The Car-cass fairy has been...

... and taken away the shell!

Bloody hard work over the weekend by me and my two mates resulted in the final (albiet major) parts being stripped off. Boy did it fight though. The rear suspension was a pig, and it (the donor) decided to take one of my axel stands with it to the great scrapheap in the sky when it crushed it!

Good news is that it looks as if I've got an LSD - looking at the tag on the case (after a good wire brushing) reveals the all important "S".

Now all I've got to do is clean it all up! Well, that and order the first module...

Pics here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost....&postcount=109
Available from eBay
Old 28th February 2006, 17:36
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Looking very good! I remember when all my bits looked like that! What did you use to get the fly wheel off? I never did manage to get the bolts loose!

Cleaning that lot up will keep you busy for quite some time

Good news on the LSD - was the donor a "Sport" model? If so you'll have the closer lower gear ratios too.
Old 28th February 2006, 20:43
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
What did you use to get the fly wheel off? I never did manage to get the bolts loose!
I've got a compressor and an impact wrench. Made short work of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Good news on the LSD - was the donor a "Sport" model? If so you'll have the closer lower gear ratios too.
No, not a sport - just a 325i. However, there was some badge on the back for a conversion company - I forget the name. It looks as if the diff ratio is 1:3.94, rather than 3.91

A can of plus gas and some heft behind my breaker bar got the half shafts seperated from the diff tonight, so I can have at it with the angle grinder and wire brush sometime later this week. Not even the impact wrench would move them! Thank god for expensive penetrating fluid...

It's all go, this kitcar building lark.
Old 28th February 2006, 20:51
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Nice, will be a pretty rapid sportster

I really need to get around to buying a compressor - how big a tank does yours have?
Old 28th February 2006, 21:07
Enthusiast

50 liters - But I wish I had more. Things like my air cut off tool really need higher free air delivery and a bigger tank, so the compressor isn't cutting in every 5 mins when you're using it. Still, it's enough for the impact gun and the air ratchet I've got. And it's great for keeping the tires on my Saab inflated.

If you are going to get one, get a 3hp oiled compressor (the oil-less ones don't last very long by all accounts) with at least 50ltrs - 75ltrs or more would be better if you have room (but then you start to trade capacity and portability off against one another). And check out the free air delivery figures - the higher the better, if you want to use high-speed cutting tools or do sand blasting.

I got mine off fleabay for £50, and a starter kit of air-tools didn't cost much more. Take a look - you may find a bargain.
Old 1st March 2006, 20:50
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I remember all those dirty parts, too.

You will be amazed how well the BMW parts cleans up. Some of my friends and family can't belive they are not new parts when cleaned and re-painted.

Good luck with the build
Old 2nd March 2006, 10:02
Enthusiast

Yes - That's the next job. I've just ordered a whole load of paint from Frosts. Ouch. It's not cheap stuff.