Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 23rd October 2008, 13:06

adamterry is on a distinguished road
Default transport design students major uni project - please help

Dear all, I am a third year transport design student at Staffordshire University conducting my research for my major project. My idea for this is to create a F1 inspired kit car for road or track use, and be able to seat two people like the Caterham or Westfield, making it up aesthetically rather than for aerodynamics whilst keeping the dynamics of F1 cars. I would very much appreciate it if I could have people’s comments about this proposed idea, and if people would be interested in one if it theoretically made it to production, just to prove there is a market for it.
I was thinking of having Brooke cars (http://www.brookecars.co.uk/ ) as a company for manufacture, although they haven’t contacted me back at the time of posting this so may change as I wouldn’t have permission to use the name. I have this company in mind as they have a 1960’s F1 styled car which is a 2 seater with a modern twist. And I would be using the same 2.0 and 2.3 litre ford-cosworth engine power plant. Their current car is marketed at between £22,995 to £39,995 for a top end model, although I feel the higher price may be too far above many people’s price range for a kit car.
Although saying this, I am open to suggestions about company choice, engine choices, and what sort of price range people would be prepared to pay.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and hope to get feedback which will be very beneficial to my work.
Available from eBay
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:30

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

What stage do you have to take the project up to?
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:10

adamterry is on a distinguished road

so far the plan is to make up scale models both in clay and alias studio, aswell as having renders and photoshop work.
But up until xmas i have to do research like ergonomics, target market, etc.
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:24

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

i would take note from the lotus track cars and their price range too, target market i would have thought would be 28-55 - got money, looking for a toy. the market for such a thing would be rather small though. Not sure about the prices you've given, i know people who haven't spent anywhere near that, but also, like me, some that have surpassed £30k - one thing to look out for would be the introduction of the IVA, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to design a car for the road which, just from it's external shape wouldn't be allowed on the road!

As long as you don't have to try and build the thing! I almost took too much on when i did my 3rd year project and worked solid from October right through to submission date working virtually every night