Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 9th September 2013, 11:30
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road
Default Servo Hose Plumbing

Need a spot of advice guys.

Just started finalising the position of the AFM in my Cabrio and need to have it facing downwards to the rear as Peter had his in his Sportster. I will have to move the idle control valve as it means rotating the rubber elbow.

Rotating the elbow also moves the servo connection on the elbow to the top... so here's where I need the advice.

Can I do away with the original complicated dual servo connections off the inlet manifold and elbow and just run a single take off from the manifold straight to the servo via a non return valve and then blank the connection on the elbow and the bottom connection on the inlet manifold.

Problem is I don't have the original t-piece and check valve that connects the two servo take offs together and the parts are not available from BMW.

I had thought the t - piece tube was just a T connection but it shows on real oem as an "air pump" what does it do and do I need it?

The check valve that connects the two servo take offs is $74 so not just a simple non return I assume, what does this do and can I get rid of it?

And finally what did most people do with the cam box breather, run it into a catch tank or filter??, I am not really sure where it connected to on the e30 I assume into the air box which I don't have.

Advice appreciated.

Cheers

John
Available from eBay
Old 9th September 2013, 20:18

AlanHogg is on a distinguished road

John
I have my servo take off straight off manifold ,no 'air pump' or dual take off's. Cam cover pipe goes into side of throttle body above two small diameter water pipes. you can e mail me alison.hogg2 at ntlworld.com and I'll send you images of my set up.
regards Alan
Old 9th September 2013, 21:56
Enthusiast

Thanks Alan, email sent.

John
Old 10th September 2013, 08:53
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I changed mine to a single valve (from the E36) with a pipe running to the servo. I blocked off the lower hole:

Old 10th September 2013, 10:06
Enthusiast

Hi Patrick

Your setup looks like I envisaged doing it.

I just wondered if there was a reason BMW had gone with a double valve that was fed from both the pre and post throttle body sides of the inlet.

In the absence of any good reason to do as BMW did I'll follow your route and go with a single outlet and check valve.

Cheers

John
Old 10th September 2013, 14:20
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I really don't know why they had the complicated setup - I decided 10 years of their development progress was good enough to switch to the newer way.