Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Italian Replica builds and chat

Italian Replica builds and chat Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lancia, any Italian replica car build and chat

Old 8th April 2019, 21:36

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I'm not familiar with changing reg numbers, I've never done it because to me it isn't that important. Correctly registered V5 was my main goal ( It is by the way ! ) Could it be swopped with an old plate of the old black and white style ?

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 8th April 2019 at 21:38..
Old 8th April 2019, 22:44

scimjim is on a distinguished road

anything that’s historic VED can have black & silver plates.
Old 8th April 2019, 23:17

The TR is registered as a 2007 on the V5. The donor car in the beginning being 1973 and that reg being used on the subsequent "7" that was built and put through SVA.
Old 9th April 2019, 05:28

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Lucky – Great to see a photo of your car on the road, it really looks the business.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
… loads of interest in the car. Spent hours talking to people and answering questions.

They parked me between an early Bugatti and the oldest, still on the road, 1910 Morgan, amazing !
As part of the justification for your selling price, just remember it is this kind of reaction that you are selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
Well worth paying for a dateless (not Irish) plate, I'm sure it will increase the sale price.
That may depend on what any potential new owner already has to play with.
( As Lucky is aiming, justifiably, higher up the car buying food chain than most. )

E.g. A guy down my street bought a second hand Aston Martin Rapide.

He then sold his old Range Rover and transferred the personal plate he had on that over to the Aston.

Having said that, I obviously thought it was worth paying for a 1965 C plate for my own car.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with changing reg numbers, I've never done it because to me it isn't that important. Could it be swopped with an old plate of the old black and white style ?
Quote:
The TR is registered as a 2007 on the V5. The donor car in the beginning being 1973 and that reg being used on the subsequent "7" that was built and put through SVA.
You might need some expert advice on this, as it would depend on how the SVA registration date is treated.

Is your car in the historic tax class based on the 1973 donor/registration number?

Or is it considered to be a 2007 car and not eligible for ‘free car tax’?

If it is a 2007 car, you could still put an ageless registration number on it, but not (legally) use black and white plates.

However, if it is considered to be a 1973 car for tax, you can have both the ageless reg and black and white plates.

E.g. My car had a 1980 donor and I have a 1965 C reg with old fashioned black plastic letters on a yellow plate at the rear.

Unfortunately, I have to wait until 2021 before I can (legally) use the traditional black and white plate at the back.

Hope that helps (a bit), Paul.

PS
More photos please.
Old 9th April 2019, 07:37

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I'm inclined to agree about the dateless reg on black plates with raised white plastic letters adding to the desirability of the car, but only to a UK buyer.

As for the legal side of things I can't comment on the situation regarding whether an SVA'd car's reg can be changed as that's a bit out of my comfort zone..

What I can say is that it would take an extremely knowledgeable traffic cop to recognise that your car should be on reflective plates with characters of a specific style and size, bearing the postcode of the plate supplier, and an extremely overzealous one to give you a ticket if they did.

If you do get stopped by the law it's more likely to be so they can have a chat and a good look at your car rather than to try to find fault with it.

MOT testers on the other hand might take a different view.

Oh, and I'm not condoning any law breaking here, I'm just of the opinion that to the average plod there's a massive difference between fitting period plates to a classic replica and changing the font/style/spacing so much on the German plates fitted to your clapped out Caddy or stupidly small plates fitted to your Jap import that the actual registration is impossible to read.

Looking forward to seeing this one in the metal, btw, please keep us posted regarding any shows you'll be visiting
Old 9th April 2019, 08:00

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Custom Index Mark Suggestion

This might appeal to your target demographic....

Facetious, moi?

Regards, Mick
Old 9th April 2019, 10:17

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimjim View Post
anything that’s historic VED can have black & silver plates.
Is this a new regulation, prior to today I thought there were specific years of manufacture for which a particular pate design was required?
Since the Historic Classification is rolling doesn’t that mean that a car manufactured in 1980 must currently have yellow and black plates but next year can have black and silver plates when it becomes eligible for Historic Tax?

Quote:
I’ve had a look at the DVLA database info for your car and I think there is something amiss.

Both the date of registration and the date of manufacture are given as 2007 which would indicate that the car after SVA was considered as being “New” (ie built from new parts except for one major part reconditioned as new) and it should have been given a brand new registration for 2007 i.e. an 07 or 57 plate.

As it was SVA’d then it is considered as a different car from the donor car and the original registration from the donor car should not have been used. (if you retain the original chassis / monocoque body then you are just making a body panel change and the car does not need SVA. Not the case with a Lotus 7 replica)

It could have had a date related plate for 1973 if the Lotus 7 replica had sufficient components from the donor car (I think there was a points system in place in 2007) but then the date of manufacture on the DVLA database should say 1973.

Having a 1973 date of manufacture would be advantageous in my view as it could then have Historic status meaning no Tax or MOT and totally legal black and silver plates.

P.S. I also noticed that the DVLA info says the car is RED and has a 1548cc engine, you might want to get those changed.

Last edited by NeilF355; 9th April 2019 at 10:34..
Old 9th April 2019, 11:55

Paul L is on a distinguished road

NeilF355 – Sorry this is a quick reply as I’m supposed to be going to B&Q!

I believe historic is a rolling 40 years at the start of the year (i.e. 1st of January).

E.g. My April 1980 car will not become historic until 1st Jan. 2021.

Also, as far as I know, you could keep the donor registration post SVA/IVA provided you used two major components.

So even if the V5C says registered in 2007, it would be OK to use the original 1973 M plate.

However, if the DVLA records say it is a ‘new’ car ‘born’ is 2007 it can not claim to be historic until 2048!

Cheers, Paul.
Old 9th April 2019, 18:20

scimjim is on a distinguished road

It’s not the donor car reg (you’ve never been able to keep that on this type of car since IVA/SVA came in) but an age related plate that you can have if you keep 3 major components from a single donor.

Black & silver plates on historic VED has been in for a few years now.

Last edited by scimjim; 9th April 2019 at 18:35..
Old 9th April 2019, 20:48

keith is on a distinguished road

Not fussed about all the reg plate it's still a brilliant looking car! can only say well done a fantastic job!!!
Old 10th April 2019, 19:01

A couple of little jobs I've been finishing off include the boot area. All now neatly panelled in aluminium. I also made a boxed storage recess above the tank that will be good for a soft bag or tool kit. The rear part of the boot has enough room for a spare wheel and storage each side. I'll post some photo's.

I'll be off to the Prescott breakfast club gathering on Sunday, I know Mick's going in the A352, anyone else going ?

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 10th April 2019 at 20:10..
Old 12th April 2019, 14:21

jcole1960 is on a distinguished road

I've spent my lunchtimes this last week reading through the 20 pages of this thread.
I can remember seeing those panels on ebay and passing quickly on to the next ad.
congratulations on having the vision to see the potential and the ability to produce such fantastic looking car.

With reference to what number plates are given to kit cars there is currently a points based system if you are not using a chassis the same as the donor car.

as far as i Know if the car was issued with a Q plate you cannot change it but if, as your car appears to have, you have an age related plate you should be able to fit a personalised plate, but it would have to be a reflective background

Hopefully this DVLA leaflet expains the poinst system, see sections 2 & 3 https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ch/2/INF26.pdf

Last edited by jcole1960; 12th April 2019 at 14:22.. Reason: poor grammar
Old 12th April 2019, 17:47

Thanks Jcole, I only stumbled on the advert by chance and as soon as I saw the photos I knew there was something a bit special here. There wasn't much info on the ad but the photos provided all I needed to identify the car ( it took many hours on google ! ).

It was a bit of a once in a life time find really, these bodies by Giordanengo simply never come onto the open market. You can buy a finished on the road car but you are talking telephone numbers ! This actual car when it was fitted over the Boano chassis was at Coy's auction in Monaco with a guide price of 400-500k Euro's !!

It has been a really rewarding build, time consuming and utilising all my engineering experience, but well worth it in the end, its a great car !
Old 12th April 2019, 18:05

Here are a couple of up to date photos. Just a bit of detail not posted so far.

Finished boot area , under the bonnet and the fitted head light covers I moulded up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3695.jpg (84.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3696.jpg (86.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3698.jpg (89.2 KB, 108 views)
Old 12th April 2019, 18:17

molleur is on a distinguished road

And a beautiful result it is!
Old 16th April 2019, 18:11

Sold !
Old 16th April 2019, 18:12

molleur is on a distinguished road

Congratulations!
Old 16th April 2019, 18:14

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Well done, give it 2 weeks and you will be kicking yourself for not taking a mould!
Old 16th April 2019, 20:05
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Nice payday for the risk and the vision
Old 17th April 2019, 07:05

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Well done. I had a feeling it would find a buyer at that price if you waited a while.

Did the buyer respond to the Octane or online ads?

So, what's the next project then?