Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 12th June 2017, 12:52

Redandy is on a distinguished road

my hazy memory is that the headlight bowls were smoothed in to the bonnet for the MRS kit (but it was 5 years ago and i havent got a car to check!).

you should therefore need to widen the hole and you are effectively replacing material.

the cheaper alternative is to go with the original solution: cut down a couple of 99p waste paper bins from asda and glass them in!
Old 12th June 2017, 14:04

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

Retro200 - I had to widen the bonnet headlamp holes but once done the fit with the wing and bonnet top areas is pretty good. I think this is as Andy has said the original ones were smoothed in.
Old 12th June 2017, 21:25

Badrep is on a distinguished road

Swifty - good to see the updates - I've been really slow on my one for ages - the roll cage is taking for ever. The bonus is that you're shooting ahead and finding all the solutions for the problems that I'll be approaching soon... so thanks!

Keep up the good work!
Old 13th June 2017, 08:55

Thanks for the feedback Badrep. I have to give a big thanks to Retro200 who has helped greatly with measurements and useful hints and tips from his earlier MRS200 build.
Old 18th June 2017, 20:09

wozzy is on a distinguished road

That coming along very well, keep up the good work and keep up with the pics.
I have decided that i am going to finish the rs2000 first, which should be done this year.
Once completed i will jump straight onto the rs200 build, i have most of the parts so it should be a pretty quick build.
Old 15th February 2018, 11:43

Wow can’t believe it’s nearly 8 months since I’ve posted an update. A garden project then decorating around the house took over for much of July - October then I managed to get a few jobs done on the car before starting again proper mid January.

Progress since last time has been to bolt the rear clam in with brackets that bolt to the support frame and bonded to the clam - also supporting in the roof area. I decided to go this route first then will come back and hinge the clam once I’ve got it roadworthy again. The rear screen has been fitted with dzus fasteners for easy removal and I’m just finishing off the petrol cap - hole cut out and insert fitted from MR2 but have been struggling to work out how to extend the filler tube. Retro200 suggested I just reposition the existing pipe by swivelling it on the flexi pipe and then bracketing it. Any other suggestions?

I also made up the grilles for the rear of the clam which you can seem some of in the picture above. These are attached right now using small black cable ties through holes drilled but may use black plastic fasteners to make them a bit more secure.

I also decided to change the front edge of the roof panel where it meets the windscreen top to give a squarer edge closer to the original RS200. To fill the corners where the hard top panel now shows through I’ve built up with GRP and used a sunstrip applied to a magnetic sheet used to apply removal signs to vans/cars. To complete the effect I’ve used a Sierra MK1 windscreen rubber - see what you think from the pics here but I prefer the look to the original kit where the roof panel flows down to meet the MR2 screen.....

Final update to report is that both headlamps are now fitted. I played about with using different lamps to the Golf MK2 items as I wanted to mount these behind the cowl (remember I’ve used the cowls from the other RS200 kit available). In the end I’ve bonded a couple of brackets around the edge of the cowl and cut back the Golf plate so these bolt from the inside. The cowls still needed to be bonded to the bonnet but you see the effect here...

Will try to keep the updates coming more frequently now things are moving forward again.

Last edited by SwiftyDS; 25th October 2018 at 14:56..
Old 15th February 2018, 12:15

If you're hinging the clam, it probs best to leave the filler pipe assy as-is.

if you're having a fixed clam, then "simply" follow the filler pipe in about an arm's length and there is a clampy thing - undo it and the neck has enough flexiblity to reach the RS bodywork quite effectively. (almost like it was designed that way!)

undoing the rusty nut n bolt in that confined space at arm's length unsighted isn't easy though... have fun!
Old 15th February 2018, 12:16

oh, and good job on the windscreen - i like it!
Old 15th February 2018, 12:21

Thanks Andy - will give that a go this afternoon.

All seems quite from the new guy who bought the moulds - any news on how he’s getting on?
Old 15th February 2018, 17:59

Really nice progress! I've not updated my one for aaaaggggeesssss!

Love the roof line - do you have any more pics of how you did it during the process? I've been trying to work ways around that roof line - I've got some cunning ideas, but still working on the interior and engine at the moment - I'll get an update on my build up soon!
Old 15th February 2018, 18:31

Thanks Badrep - yes I will get some other pics posted up tomorrow showing where I cut the roof line and the sunstrip.
Old 15th February 2018, 19:29

Awesome - looking forward to it
Old 16th February 2018, 05:08

Nostromo is on a distinguished road

The bigger windscreen looks great. I didn't realise there was that much difference in how it should look to be honest. Interested to see how you've gone about hinging your rear end. Also, how have you managed to keep your car so clean?!
Old 16th February 2018, 11:43

Badrep - here’s a couple of additional pictures showing how I marked out the new roof line and built up the sunstrip. I based the roof line as close as I could to the original RS200 (see fourth picture here) but you are left with a couple of gaps in each corner of the roof panel where it no longer flows down to meet the hard top/MR2 windscreen upper rail. For these I made up a couple of rubber fill pieces that I then used to create GRP pieces out of which I bonded to the inside/trailing edge of the roof panel. I should say I had already cut my roof panel away from the rear clam and my pillars were also separate as I had the kit delivered. That in itself made this a lot easier.

The sunstrip being magnetic just about holds on to the edge of the screen/hardtop and I had intended to leave it this way so I could remove it later as/when the screen needs replacing. I think I may ended up glueing it down as not convinced it won’t flap at speeds over 70!

Nostromo - thanks for the feedback on the screen. I was pleased with the effect and the windscreen rubber whilst only for show (and glued on!) makes a real difference as well. I’m holding fire from hinging my clam right now but have all the hinges/brackets and support work - would rather get all the other jobs completed and it back on the road first, hence I’m bolting the clam in as a first step but making everything like wiring, fuel flap/release such that it can hinge later. As for keeping it clean ... I’ve yet to do any real sanding/prep work on the panels which may explain, but I must admit the old garage dyson comes out after any drilling/cutting of the panels and I’m fortunate enough to be able to work on the car in the garage most of the time .

Last edited by SwiftyDS; 25th October 2018 at 14:49..
Old 19th February 2018, 19:43

It looks so much better!

My kit was delivered too so I'll be going through the same process. I really like how you've done it. The other bit that really bugs me is the bonnet line - that's an area that I'll be working on to fill in. Never done any fibreglassing so I'll be in at the deep end with that one.

Is that a Ferrari I see in the background too?
Old 19th February 2018, 20:39

Thanks Badrep. Yes I think even Andy, the original owner of the moulds, has commented in the past how he wished the bonnet line was longer and squared off instead of following the MR2 wiper/vent area.

I have been keeping a lookout for a cheap Sierra MK1 lower windscreen vent panel to see if I could marry that with the MR2 panel and extend the bonnet up. Probably put that on the phase 2 list along with hinging the clam!

Yep that is a Ferrari in the background - unfortunately it’s not mine!
Old 20th February 2018, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyDS View Post
Thanks Badrep. Yes I think even Andy, the original owner of the moulds, has commented in the past how he wished the bonnet line was longer and squared off instead of following the MR2 wiper/vent area.

I have been keeping a lookout for a cheap Sierra MK1 lower windscreen vent panel to see if I could marry that with the MR2 panel and extend the bonnet up. Probably put that on the phase 2 list along with hinging the clam!

Yep that is a Ferrari in the background - unfortunately it’s not mine!
Excellent idea - I was thinking about trimming the lip, adhering some sheet material underneath it to extend and maintain the contours, add a bit on top and sand and smooth - but the sierra vent sounds better!
Old 20th February 2018, 08:55

Also, can you still access the windscreen if it gets damaged - for replacement? I've cracked mine!
Old 20th February 2018, 10:48

I’ve done so it’s removable - should work ok looking at pillars and screen too
Old 20th February 2018, 11:15

Phew!