Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 22nd July 2014, 11:54

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

The weight isn't too bad so no need for major changes to suspension and my shocks could do with changing anyway.

Brakes are interesting upgrades. Again there isn't much weight difference so the mass is the same. I will be mainly on public roads so the speeds won't be above what the 2.8 is capable of, I just might be getting there a bit quicker. Might get away with just sticking better pads in the standard unit.

Chipped and supercharged donors have been considered but I do like the grunt of the V8.

I used to have an Honda Integra Type R which was incredible between 6,500rpm and 9,000rpm and I loved the engine but you had to work to keep it on the boil.

I now have the supercharged Merc and it is just 'press and go' at any speed and any situation. Watching the traction light flicker as it kicks b=down at 90mph, on a private track of course, always makes me smile just before I get pinned to the seat.

Also thinking a second hand engine rather than box fresh to keep the prices down. Really depends on what the money fairy leaves tucked down the back of the sofa.
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:55

IanA is on a distinguished road

Have you measured the wheelbase and track on the Merc and checked if the body panels unbolt?
Old 22nd July 2014, 13:57

y cymro is on a distinguished road

A change to M50 inlet manifold, M3 exhaust manifold, remap, and CAI is supposed to liberate an extra 40bhp for around £600 if you can do the work yourself, so not too shabby.

Lots of info about supercharging M50 and M52s here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:17

Have you measured the wheelbase and track on the Merc and checked if the body panels unbolt?

Yes

Twice

:-)
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:07

Have decided the V8 conversion is best attempted AFTER i learn to weld. Don't hold your breath. It might be a different car I do it on by then, or a supercharger kit...
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:21

zagmad is on a distinguished road

Er. I would prob look supercharger if your going for acceleration at all revs. weight differences might swing it as well. V8 lump will burble well. :-)
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:26

Checked out (a lot of) forums and the LS3 fits in quite nicely and actually moves the weight back inside the wheel base. Easy power up to 400 with hot cams etc. Cost is surprisingly close to engine swap if you ignore the work involved.

You can wring the last few tenths out of an engine of get a bigger one and leave it unstressed and running happily for longer.

At least that's the theory
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:33

zagmad is on a distinguished road

Would a lexus v8 rev higher than say an American v8. Few more valves per cylinder. I don't know much bout engines but theirs lots of options. Or an audi engine. Small block, big block. Aluminum or other.
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:06

Lexus has the advantage or being cheaper but I will check out the Audi as I hadn't thought of that.

I need something short, light and capable of mating to an auto box. Hmm Mclaren...
Old 22nd July 2014, 23:11

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Isn't the lexus 250bhp? Hardly worth the effort, the audi not much better unless you find an rs version.

LS all the way, plenty secong hand, you will have to import it though.

The supercharged jag/rangie engine is a possibilty too, 400bhp would work well.
Old 22nd July 2014, 23:38

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I know someone who has a Maserati 4200GT V8 engine with flappy paddle box attached for sale for £2k...
Old 23rd July 2014, 03:11

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

My wife's daily drive is a Lexus sc430 4.3 v8 vvti auto (they all where) remapped to approx 350bhp if you require any measurements or pics let me know. Its silky smooth super reliable and lots of grunt, gearbox is a little old fashioned and lazy on them and the engines run very very hot , with the roof off sometimes you can feel the heat off it. If you go down the lexus route go on some drift car sites they fit all sorts of goodies to that lump and interchange torque converter's from skylines.What I would say though is with the traction control turned off its virtually impossible to set off without wheelspin even if you try to be gentle, and it has very wide tyres . you may go to a lot of expense and effort only to find you have made an un drivable car. Personally I'd stick around 200 HP and ring its neck rather than over powered and under tyred. Ed.
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:07

Just been chatting with someone who has a 350 V8 and a man that can make it fit. Just need confirmation that it will really fit and get a price. I will wait until winter to do it but I think it might actually happen...
Old 23rd July 2014, 19:05

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Chevvy 350, how can you think of dropping in a cast iron pushrod V8 into an Italian style replica?
Old 23rd July 2014, 20:34

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

I tend to agree with Landmannn.

An awful lot of BHP will be wasted just dragging the cast iron lump around. The handling would be awful round bends, but americans don't really care about bends much, its straight line stuff with them.

A well set up 2 litre Cosworth turbo engine, putting out around 380 BHP would wipe the floor with with most american powered cars, and be much more suited to your car WCA.

In fact there is a company that sends a Rover 25 down the strip at Santa Pod with a Rover T16 engine (2 litre) which puts out 900 BHP yes 900!.

I really think the way forward is lightweight european engine, well sorted. But of course its your car, and your choice in the end,
and more importantly, your cash!
Old 23rd July 2014, 20:52

Agree about the weight, still considering options.

I have a real soft spot for V8s though and the M5 V8 doesn't fit a Z3 because its sump and stuff is the wrong way round.

Looking for a small leight V8 ain't easy.

Anyone got views on the Lotus V8. I haven't googled it yet but seem to remember they were compact
Old 23rd July 2014, 20:55

Hammy is on a distinguished road

I agree with earlier comments and put the body on an M roadster. Trust me, what looks cheap to start will cost you an absolute fortune!
Old 23rd July 2014, 21:03

Still tempted by the Maser unit Mr Towed mentioned

MrTowed - I have pm'd you

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 23rd July 2014 at 21:25..
Old 23rd July 2014, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
I know someone who has a Maserati 4200GT V8 engine with flappy paddle box attached for sale for £2k...
If WCA isn't interested would you mind p'ming me the details.
Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Agree about the weight, still considering options.

I have a real soft spot for V8s though and the M5 V8 doesn't fit a Z3 because its sump and stuff is the wrong way round.

Looking for a small leight V8 ain't easy.

Anyone got views on the Lotus V8. I haven't googled it yet but seem to remember they were compact
Surely with the complexity of fitting any v8 into a z3 altering a sump to fit a BMW v8 is of little consequence to a good aluminium fabricator.

Take a look on American sites to see what they're doing with Toyota/Lexus v8s. Appears to be lots of potential for power. You like autos so a gearbox shouldn't be a problem.

The LS range has the advantage of being very small compared with 4 cam motors. If you can afford it, it must be the engine of choice.

Whilst a Maser engine would be wonderful in your car I think it has a transaxle so won't be suitable unless you can mate it to a conventional gearbox.

No idea about the Lotus, again other than gearbox compatibility.

Stick an LS in it

Picture courtesy of hasanmotorsport.com

http://hasanmotorsports.com

Last edited by y cymro; 23rd July 2014 at 23:09..