Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 7th May 2018, 02:17

nzidol is on a distinguished road
Default A 250 SWB made it's way down under

After reading the original article in KitCar magazine and lurking around here for a long time ordered and received my kit a few weeks ago...

This being New Zealand there are of course different rules but I should be able to build it without any formal certification just the standard Warrant of Fitness test to pass. To be able to do that had to find a 1998 (2.8 manual..) model that predates the front impact regulations here so as to be allowed to remove the front bumper. Also can't move the fuel filler and tires can only be 10% larger....

And since we don't have square number plates here I will take inspiration from the original 1959 show car 1539GT that had no indents...

The stripping and building has started and happy to see that panel fit has been much improved.

No cuts required and the door looks to open without any issues. Little work at the top of the door panel to pull it in but most of that is the Velcro holding it in place...

First addition was a cap on the hole in the chassis rail, quick trip to Fusion360

And the 3d printer produced a rubber seal and ABS cap.

Now just need to figure out how to fit the power steering cooler and the fan in front of the airco radiator....
Available from eBay
Old 7th May 2018, 02:22

molleur is on a distinguished road

Congratulations!
I have a 250 SWB shipping to the USA in about a week. Good luck with your build.
This forum has been very helpful, folks here are freely giving hints and tips for the builds. Most appreciated too.
Old 7th May 2018, 05:02

Welshkiwi is on a distinguished road

Awesome NZIdol, look forward to seeing your progress. Love the idea of the number plate recess change, that will look very smart.
Hopefully one day we will be able to get your 250 and my 275 in the same picture! Good luck with all the challenges ahead.
Old 7th May 2018, 06:49

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

They're going to be as common as muck in NZ!

Nice to see another build, keep the details common.

I closed my cassis legs off with an alloy plate and some silicone. I have since cut a replacement in 3mm steel, I'm intending to drill it and weld a nut to the inside so that the towing eye can be inserted. A rubber blanking plug will keep the moisture out.
Old 7th May 2018, 08:00

Paul L is on a distinguished road

NZidol - Sounds like you have already put a lot of thought into your build.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 7th May 2018, 09:13

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Can you share the fusion 360 file. I keep meaning to print some but have never got around to it. Nclarksouthampton at gmail dot com

No worries if you can't as I should be able to design them myself
Old 8th May 2018, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Can you share the fusion 360 file. I keep meaning to print some but have never got around to it. Nclarksouthampton at gmail dot com

No worries if you can't as I should be able to design them myself
It will be on Thingiverse in a day or so....
Old 8th May 2018, 19:52

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Printed and ready to fit
20180508_194541 by WCA!, on Flickr

20180508_194703 by WCA!, on Flickr

I am thinking of using rubber glue rather than a rubber gasket (because I have some) to fix them in place as well as the bolts
Old 9th May 2018, 02:16

You could print the other part in hard plastic and use rubber/silicone to seal it. The holes are not centered to German precision on the car....
Old 9th June 2018, 03:32

jonkenben is on a distinguished road

How are you getting on with the low volume cert for this?
Old 9th June 2018, 07:17

Since I have a 98 Z3 and a cabrio kit no certification should be needed, you are allowed to change body panels and replace parts with generic OEM parts. For post 99 cars there is a front impact regulation that does not allow the removal of the front bumper but that does not apply to a 98... also can't move the petrol filler, tires can only be 10% larger and you need a third brake light....
When converting to a fixed roof there are requirements to add rubber around the bars running next to your head, the specified rubber only works with a racing helmet though (so clearly targeted at Targa cars with a Motorsport roll cage.) that cabrio roof also uses steel bars is apparently not an issue.
The first WOF will be interesting....
Old 9th June 2018, 11:56

Ok interesting. So there may be problems with an mx250 hard top kit. The bumper covers need to be removed but the bumpers remain and the fuel filler needs to be moved a little. Hmmmm
Old 9th June 2018, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkenben View Post
Ok interesting. So there may be problems with an mx250 hard top kit. The bumper covers need to be removed but the bumpers remain and the fuel filler needs to be moved a little. Hmmmm
Don’t worry about LVV too much until you have engaged with certifier. These guys are realistic, passionate about the car “hobbyist” approach and can provide good advice and practical solutions. I have just started my journey but have got a good certifier who is interested in the concept and project.
I know LVV is another regulatory hoop to jump through, but with low level (I.e. level 1A/1B or possibly Level 2 required it is not too daunting. Also when doing the car to get items such as wire wheels/adaptors fitted/Fuel filler moved it is all part of the very important look so a bit of extra work shouldn’t put you off.
In a few weeks I will be at the point of heavily engaging with the initial stages of certification and what we can/can’t do so once the car is stripped so will post updates on my thread when I can. Cheers- good luck with your plans!
Old 9th June 2018, 21:42

Thanks guys. I'm committed to doing a mx250 hard top . Just waiting for a delivery date. I'm about an hour north of Auckland. Maybe some time in the future there could be a little tribute gathering.
Old 11th June 2018, 05:36

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkenben View Post
Thanks guys. I'm committed to doing a mx250 hard top . Just waiting for a delivery date. I'm about an hour north of Auckland. Maybe some time in the future there could be a little tribute gathering.
Definitely interested in that longer term. Be great to catch up with guys with likeminded interests in the classic style cars. A few meets/shows in NZ but few and far between compared with the UK scene. A while to go before I’ll be ready but look forward to it!
Old 21st December 2018, 00:49

You know how it goes too many projects on the go and none are fully finished yet... But Jag wanted to see some pics of my boot hinges

Boot open

The support is 3d-printed in ABS and screws to body, will need some extra glassfibre behind it but it is not protesting yet...

boot hinge

You'll probably notice the lock, it is the original BMW lock with some 3d-printed supports and cover, just need to figure out how to hook it onto the lid of to the side...

Boot lock in place

Boot lock printed and assembled

And yes the logo is 3d-printed smoothed with acetone vapor and some (...) sanding, filler and chrome paint. May get it cast in aluminium....
Old 21st December 2018, 01:57

molleur is on a distinguished road

Good work! Liking that logo.