Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 7th November 2018, 18:21

wozzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
so worth £1800 and a half eaten snickers lol
I spoke to him when it was on at starting bid £2200, he was trying to convince me that you cannot buy these anymore . He also says he has a genuine rear screen for it haha.
when i pointed out that you can still buy the kit he hung up on me.
He actually thinks that it does not need much doing to finish it off.
It has not really been started.
its not worth that much to be honest as it's only the kit you are buying and that is not looking great.
With all the extra's i think you will be into stupid money, would be cheaper to buy a kit and a car separate as you will at least know what you are getting.
Old 7th November 2018, 20:18

Nostromo is on a distinguished road

I really don't get why he couldn't have put the wheel on. It looks a little bit sad doesn't it. Apart from the bumper looking like its been fitted to the crash bar, its barely been started so nowhere near nearly complete. As Wozzy has said, its all available through a different company now and for all you know, the MR2 underneath might be completely rotten. Also, if it has 61000km on the clock, this may indicate its a jap import so no lsd.
Old 7th November 2018, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
I really don't get why he couldn't have put the wheel on. It looks a little bit sad doesn't it. Apart from the bumper looking like its been fitted to the crash bar, its barely been started so nowhere near nearly complete. As Wozzy has said, its all available through a different company now and for all you know, the MR2 underneath might be completely rotten. Also, if it has 61000km on the clock, this may indicate its a jap import so no lsd.
There could be insurance issues also
Old 7th November 2018, 21:17

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

I guess like any used car, particularly a project car or part built kit, it’s worth what the buyer is prepared to pay. I agree with Wozzy and Nostromo that it could be shown in a better light particularly with the wheels.
Old 7th November 2018, 21:30

Mr G is on a distinguished road

when I first seen it is thought cool project but then seeing it on eBay for so long and nothing getting done made me think it's a lemon
Old 7th November 2018, 21:40

If you want a kit i can give you the phone number of the guy who now owns the moulds
Old 7th November 2018, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
when I first seen it is thought cool project but then seeing it on eBay for so long and nothing getting done made me think it's a lemon
The kit is the only thing of value, and that is not great, it would have to be very cheap as you can get a new kit for around £2500
Old 7th November 2018, 21:48

Mr G is on a distinguished road

am waiting on a cheque to come thru hopefully in the next 6 weeks or there abouts some numpty thought it would be fun to reverse out of a parking space without looking and nearly turned our car over lol so looking at either mx5 or mr2 Base kit prefer convertible but open to good advice
Old 8th November 2018, 08:21

Windscreen pillars are now bonded on. Bit more of a challenge clamping these down due to the angles, but seemed to help with alignment that mine were split from the roof panel when my kit was delivered.

Used expanding foam to fill the roof void and also the inner void between the screen pillars and MR2 screen surround. Just need to fill and prime the join each side to the roof panel and refit the windscreen rubber then it’s onto the doors.

In the image below the drivers door skin needs raising slightly when it gets bonded on. Panel gaps aren’t too bad with this lined up, but a bit more work to do on lining up the door skin on the passenger side.

Old 8th November 2018, 11:27

That's looking good. i bet you cant wait to get it finished now.
Old 8th November 2018, 18:31

Yep. Really enjoyed driving the MR2 before I stripped it to build the kit. Hopefully not long now but I know the door skins and mirrors can be a pain.

At least the door skins are all cut and lined up roughly so it’s really just bonding them and fitting the brackets to the inside of the MR2 door to support the bottom edge where it was cut down.
Old 12th November 2018, 12:39

Managed to spend a couple of hours over the weekend filling the join between the roof panel and screen pillars. Couple of coats of white primer and I was ready to refit the windscreen rubber.

Profile of the windscreen rubber is better now following the fettling of the screen surround edges.

The sunstrip logo has been on so long now I’m getting a bit bored of it! Think I may end up changing it before I finish. There is a nice RS200 logo in blue with ford logos either side on one of the real RS200s that I may try and have a go at copying but the door skins need my attention first!

In between coats of primer I decided I would bolt in the clam grilles rather than stick with the thin cable ties I had used so far. Went for M4 cross head bolts in black which are just about hidden by the rubber edge strip.

They are in pretty solid now so will do until I get round to painting the car.

I did manage to make a start on the doors, focusing on the brackets to support the bottom edge of the MR2 door where the lower edge had been cut away. Bonded/glassed these in and once I’ve finished an inner support panel each side for the inside of the door skin where the top bolt for the mirror pillar sits I will be just about ready to bond the skins on each side. I will also drill the holes for the Perspex side windows whilst the door skins are off so these are done before they are bonded on.
Old 12th November 2018, 12:59

Looking really good, what did you use around the mesh ?
Old 12th November 2018, 13:15

Cheers Wozzy.

It’s 5 or 6mm rubber strip with a really small profile (I’ll check the order paperwork but think it’s about 1or 2mm only the profile). It pretty much grips the edge of the mesh itself but I put a couple of dabs of Gorilla gel glue on it just to make sure.

With it in place on the clam there isn’t really anywhere for the rubber edging to move so hopefully it should stay put.
Old 12th November 2018, 15:34

It finishes it off nicely
Old 19th November 2018, 19:08

Bit of a frustrating week on the doors, mirrors and side windows. All started off swimmingly well with the drivers door - all lined up, brackets working great to reinforce where the MR2 door skin is cut down and eaves protector plastic used to create a new base for the door.

Panel gaps not too bad and close to the original which left a lot to be desired I know!

These are the adjustable brackets I used to push out the lower outer door skin after it was cut away for the door skin to cover. These have been bolted or bonded inside the MR2 - bolts on the inner door panel and bonded to the inside of the outer skin.

The bottom of the MR2 door is the recovered in a piece of plastic bonded/glassed in place and made from eaves protectors.

Before bonding the MRS200 door skin on I started to fit the Sierra door mirror, cutting the mounting pillars down first. I planned to bolt the bottom two pillars through the MR2 door skin and thought this would be enough given the top edge of the plinth rested against the door skin. Bad move as there was no way I would get a bolt or nut the other side of the skin. So plan B came into play and I am glassing in an ally corner piece to which the mirror will be bolted.

Here’s the template and just waiting for some more ally sheet to arrive in the next few days.

Many thanks to Nathanial the now owner of Andy’s original prototype car for sending me photos of how the Sierra mirrors were fitted to that one.

So while waiting for the ally sheet to arrive I painted the bonnet wing support pieces that I had already made and fitted from Perspex and also got round to buying an adjustable bonnet support as I decided I wouldn’t fit anything permanent under the bonnet.

I have decided to use rivnuts to bolt the Perspex side windows through and drilled these out today. Thanks Nostromo for the pictures of how you fitted yours. I will wait until the ally sheet is in before cutting the Perspex down for the corner piece where the mirror fits and then at least for the drivers door the bonding of the skin will be the final piece.

I say at least for the drivers door .... well the passenger side is another matter and I’m beginning to think the whole passenger side of the car is the ugly sister of the drivers side!

I spent most of this afternoon fettling the passenger door skin to try to get a better fit. The upper edge where it meets the roof line is fine at the rear of the door and a nice gap to the windscreen pillar but along the top edge for about 30cm where it meets the windscreen to halfway along the window top there is a huge gap.

I need to get some heat on the metal framework that surrounds the top edge of the door skin to see if I can reshape it otherwise I can see I will be taking the cutting disk to it and trying to reshape it with glass fibre.

More on that one soon.....

Last edited by SwiftyDS; 19th November 2018 at 19:12..
Old 19th November 2018, 19:31

Good work there, keep it up.
The passenger side is a nightmare to line up. if you check the sills there is around 10mm difference. This then throws the door out. There is quite a large gap to the bonnet from the door providing you have the wheel arch running through.

I have just made a start on mocking Badrep up with the kit. I think i am going to end up cutting the sill so it has the same length as the drivers side.

Can you please let me know what the height is from the top of the bumper to the ground as i have not been supplied with the front bumper metalwork.
Cheers

Last edited by wozzy; 19th November 2018 at 19:34..
Old 19th November 2018, 21:37

Thanks Wozzy. Yes I had the same on the sills - tried to even it out and also adjust bonnet edge that side but it’s the top edge of the door frame that’s really out.

Will get you the measurement for the bumper in the morning now. Just remember mine is still on std springs and 17” wheels (coilovers are still to be fitted) and I did move the supplied front bumper bar down a good 25-30mm from how it was supplied (to try to remove the sagging in the middle look you seem to get as standard as you look front to back at the car).
Old 20th November 2018, 09:33

Wozzy - measuring the drivers side at the wheel arch it’s 523mm from floor to the top edge of the bumper where it joins the bonnet.

Hope that makes sense - shout if you need more measurements
Old 20th November 2018, 16:46

Managed to get the passenger door skin into a better shape today, thanks to applying some heat to the metalwork and bending it into shape. When I looked closer there were also a couple of places on the edges of the windscreen pillars and rear edge of the door where the fibreglass was catching on the door skin.

I had made adjustments for the sill on the passenger side (see Wozzy’s comments above) and needed to trim the bonnet edge back slightly to line up and also allow the door to open without catching. There is more of a gap at the bottom edge of the door on this side and the trailing edge where it meets the clam/sill, which once I’ve got the skins bonded on I will close up with fibreglass and filler. The bottom edge of the drivers door also needs the gap reducing.

Support brackets are now bonded in on the passenger side and the ally sheet arrived today, so tomorrow’s job is to fabricate the mirror support plinths and glass these in on both door skins.