Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 28th April 2014, 01:03

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road
Default Progress Again...

I haven't touched the Marlin since early December, have been busy installing a new boiler, re-wiring and laying a new bedroom floor in my cottage.

I have dug my Berlinetta chassis out from under all the debris in the temp garage I have been loaned. The chassis is pretty bare, it's all primed and I have loosely fitted the rear axle and I have final fitted the front crossmember/subframe. All the suspension parts are cleaned and painted ready to assemble. The chassis is on trestles with a spare engine block and gearbox temporarily fitted as dummies to check clearances. I have created a new bulkhead from 1.5mm Aluminium.

This w/e I fitted most of the front suspension and re-assembled the steering rack which was in a pretty bad state with collapsed pinion shaft bearings and a missing n/s bush. I obtained a couple of sealed bearings from my local factor and adapted them to fit. It feels pretty tight and reasonably smooth now. I improvised a n/s bush, assembled with loads of nice sticky grease.

A feature of this overhaul will be my attempts to build and use an 'English Wheel', I want to re-create some of the fibreglass panels in aluminium, partly because I feel some of the f/g panels are a bit 'naff' and partly to make the body profile more faithful to the original ethos; the 1930 Alfa Romeo 6c cars, which I believe the original Marlin series of cars is loosely based on.

To start with the main targets for this treatment are the bonnet and scuttle. If I am successful I may rework some other parts like the boot lid and possibly create some cycle wings, time will tell. The English Wheel may simply be a way of converting nice aluminium sheet to scrap with trapped fingers along the way!!!

I will try to add some photo's in the next day or two.

Do we have any panel rolling/forming expertise here?

In the morning I plan to browse my local breakers yard in the hope I can find a suitable prop-shaft to make to replace the one I found fitted to the car which has been welded in the middle.

Robert

Available from eBay