Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 4th October 2017, 17:49

Drummajor is on a distinguished road
Default Winter meets

Has anybody heard about any autumn, winter meets

Last edited by Drummajor; 4th October 2017 at 17:55..
Available from eBay
Old 5th October 2017, 06:29

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Autumn Meeting

Anyone in range (this venue is handy for both M4 and M5) should really get themselves to the Castle Combe Autumn Classic meeting this Saturday. From its inception five years ago (my dawn patrol got me into the paddock before any other punters had arrived - the nice man let me sit in the Ecurie Ecosse transporter ) it's grown into a fantastic event with lots of drool-worthy machinery both racing and on the club stands. If your persuading (begging?) skills are up to it you might even blag a seat in something for the parade laps at lunchtime. I've been around the circuit in a few different Lotus VIs courtesy of the Historic Lotus Register who invariably have a great display.

Do it!

Regards, Mick
Old 5th October 2017, 16:36

Alex is on a distinguished road

My Formosa is having an MOT tomorrow morning so all being well she will be ready for the road, Gary will get it transported up to me tomorrow afternoon and as I live about 5 miles from Castle Come this will be its first public outing at the Autumn Classic on Saturday so fingers crossed and hope to meet those of you who are attending
Old 6th October 2017, 16:32

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I shall leave Southampton about 8:30 and head up the A34 and then M4. Should get there for about 10am.

Hope to see some interesting stuff. If you see me and recognize me then please say hello!
Old 6th October 2017, 16:39

Unfortunately the Formosa still needs a little bit of work to get it through the MOT so it wont be at Castle Combe. I will still pop along though it looks like a good event
Old 8th October 2017, 07:04

Talking What a Day at The Combe!

Yesterday dawned grey and drizzley but, undeterred, I set off for Castle Combe at about 0800. The A352 seemed to enjoy its intake of cool moist air and the drive down, although a little wet from big drops under the trees, was dry, the wind deflector diverting most of the weather over the top. I was parked in the public area amongst many other early bird enthusiasts.

The Porsche Speedster parked alongside generated as much interest as the A352 - many many photo's of each being taken. A punter admiring mine told me he was building one, on interrogation I learned he'd bought it from a chap called Chris in Dorset! Not only that, but he lives just down the road from me in Stroud. I took his number and we agreed an early visit. A bit later, whilst watching the pre-1955 Jaguar race from a vantage point between my car and the track, standing next to a convertible XK8, a chap asked me if it was mine. No, but that one is, I replied. Turned out he was Alex, above, whose Formosa sadly hadn't passed its test .

Along the way was the Jaguar Owners' or Drivers' club stand on which was the flag metallic blue C Type I'd seen and photographed at Prescott earlier this year. Nearby, on the inappropriately named Lotus Seven Club stand, amongst the ranks of Caterhams, was an S4 Seven, a dismantled example of which I have awaiting completion of the Monaco. If it turns out half as nicely as this, I'll be well pleased!

Wandering through the pits on my way to the other club display area, I espied this beautiful XK120 in my colour du jour.

A bit further along was this mythical beast. I remember the first time I saw one in the mid 50s: it was parked just around the corner when I walked to the shops with my mother. Almost every other car then was black, many still pre-war, and included near-neighbour Douglas Fairbanks' five Rolls Royces, (registered DF1-5!) which we'd often see. My mother used to describe the invariable blonde driver as "One of his nurses". I remember thinking, poor bloke, he must be really ill. Anyway, I stood and gawped at this seemingly fabulous machine which had popped straight out of the pages of Dan Dare.

Amongst the other displays was that of the Historic Lotus Register, to which I belong. They always put on a brilliant display, and this was no exception. It included these six Mk VIs, an example of which was my first car in the 60s. If you're visiting the Classic Car Show at the NEC next month be sure to visit their stand.

I took the scenic route home, which includes the junction on the B4040 where Tiff Needell used to stand whilst commenting on whichever car was being assessed in that week's Top Gear, a lovely drive in the late sun. All told a great day out!

Regards, Mick
Old 8th October 2017, 16:07

Thumbs up

An excellent day at Castle Combe yesterday, great displays and excellent racing,really good to bump into Mick and really liked his car
Old 9th October 2017, 16:07

When I was there it was somewhat more moist.

Did like the early Lotus too
20171007_100335 by WCA!, on Flickr
Old 8th November 2017, 06:56

Lightbulb This Friday

Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley

Amongst the other displays was that of the Historic Lotus Register, to which I belong. They always put on a brilliant display, and this was no exception. It included these six Mk VIs, an example of which was my first car in the 60s. If you're visiting the Classic Car Show at the NEC next month be sure to visit their stand.

Regards, Mick
Old 8th November 2017, 11:33

[I]If you're visiting the Classic Car Show at the NEC next month be sure to visit their stand.[I]

Driving up Thursday night and will be wandering around on the Friday. Sat/Sun are too packed to see things properly.

If I remember I will wear a Tribute Automotive t-shirt so say hello if you see me.
Old 8th November 2017, 11:45

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
[I]If you're visiting the Classic Car Show at the NEC next month be sure to visit their stand.[I]

Driving up Thursday night and will be wandering around on the Friday. Sat/Sun are too packed to see things properly.

If I remember I will wear a Tribute Automotive t-shirt so say hello if you see me.
Next month ? I thought it was this weekend ?
Old 8th November 2017, 11:50

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Yes, 10 - 12 November 17
Old 8th November 2017, 18:37

The bump was from last month. Thursday is tomorrow when I will be driving there. Friday is when I will be limping around and Saturday is when I will sober out before driving home.
Old 9th November 2017, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident
I shall sport my 'Keep Calm and Drive a D Type' T

Regards, Mick
Old 11th November 2017, 07:15

Talking NEC Yesterday

Thoroughly enjoyed visiting the show. There was a gloriously patinated Copycat C-Type with whose owner/builder I had a long chat. I felt somewhat outclassed when I confessed that the sole Jaguar part of my 'D' was the overdrive switch escutcheon. On the same stand was an XJ13 copy from TWRR who offer a mind blowing range, sadly not in kit form. I thought they were expensive until I saw the Bentley R re-clothed as a 1920s 4½ litre tourer for a mere £198,000. I chatted to one of the salesman, recounting my Bentley surrounded days in 1950s Kensington whilst his colleague discussed a sale with a punter! Must do lottery........

On their stand, I asked the Chairman of the Historic Lotus Register how plans were progressing for next year's Classic Le Mans sortie, mentioning that my 70th falls on that weekend. He replied that it will be his 80th and he goes with his similarly aged wife in his Mark VIII.

I felt humbled.

A good day out if a little pricey

Regards, Mick
Old 14th March 2018, 07:26

Talking Classic Le Mans 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley
I asked the Chairman of the Historic Lotus Register how plans were progressing for next year's Classic Le Mans sortie, mentioning that my 70th falls in that week. He replied that it will be his 80th and he goes with his similarly aged wife in his Mark VIII.

I felt humbled.
Yesterday, feeling cock-a-hoop over the A352's afternoon MOT pass, I bit the bullet and booked a trip in her to The Le Mans Classic this July. I'm going solo, taking Brittany Ferries Portsmouth-Caen as I have to my many regular 24 Heures trips, and camping at the Hunadiers site.

In the 80s/90s you just turned up there, pitched your tent, and Marcel came around with a book of tickets - 150 Francs for a long weekend. It's now booking only, but with on site hard block showers and toilets - a far cry from the 0600 strip-wash at the stand pipe back in the day!

I sail 16 weeks today - I can hardly wait............

Regards, Mick
Old 14th March 2018, 08:56

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I last went in 1984, at the time my girlfriend's father was very high up in the French insurance company based in LeMans that was a big sponsor. We had a caravan at the back of the pits with parking space and had access everywhere. I remember spending the night watching them work on the cars as they came in and out of the pits while sitting on the pit wall.
After the race we were allowed to do 2 circuits before the track re opened, the musaline straight goes on &on &on &on, especially when you are in a 1275 mini!

Never been back since as it just wouldn't be as good.