Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 9th April 2004, 21:07
Enthusiast

tony-g is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Tank

It would seem that the Mk2 200's use a seperate in tank fuel pump and fuel level sender, Mk3 is all in one. so I will have to look at a method to secure and seal the sender into the tank. Also I am unsure why the fuel pump is at one end of the tank. As the tank has no swirl pot and if the tank level is on the low side, then when cornering there must be a good chance the pump will not be in fuel and cavitate. Would it not be better to fit the pump in the middle of the tank. I shall also look at fitting a form of swirl pot inside the tank.
Available from eBay
Old 10th April 2004, 09:44
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Tony

If you had the tank made (as opposed to buying it from Marlin), you could have had either a swirl pot or baffeling fitted. I think the larger tank Marlin supplies has a swirl pot (not positive).

Isn't it going to be very difficult to do anything with the tank now?

A swirl pot will end up lower than the fuel pick up if you weld it to the base of the tank. Only solution I can think of is to cut a slot into the tank either side and slide in an ally plate to make a baffel. This would need ally welding.

Personally I would leave it. If there are any problems when the car is finished, the tank is easy to get to.

As for the fuel sender. Have you had a quote from a breakers to get one from a later model?
Old 10th April 2004, 11:24
Enthusiast

tony-g is on a distinguished road

A swirl pot is not that hard to fit in a tank. I fitted one in the robin hood 2b I built. As it is only a small box that the pump pickup sits in, with holes drilled in it . this allows fuel to fill it but restricts the flow out during fuel shifts. It can be secured to base of the tank with a single bolt, which is easy to seal. A tin can is ideal of dia. aprox of pump aperture hole size, cut down to about 60mm hight

tony gigg
Old 12th April 2004, 21:34
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road

I think the internal fuel pump has it's own built in swirl pot (the plastic housing) so there should be be no need for baffles etc.