Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 12th January 2012, 13:26
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

No sign of mine yet.

Maybe the postie has tried today?
Old 12th January 2012, 15:50
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
No sign of mine yet.

Maybe the postie has tried today?
Hi Jason

It will be Parcelforce delivering all the servos. They seem to have a schedule to please themselves!

Mike
Old 12th January 2012, 17:11
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I had a note from the postie yesterday. Delegated SWMBO to follow up....

Robin

PS I now have it in my sweaty hands. Makes the Metro servo look a bit of a toy in comparison. Fitting to start this weekend!
Thanks once again Mike!
Old 12th January 2012, 17:39

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Thanks Mike for all your sterling work on our behalf, mine arrived today, nice bit of kit, hope to do it justice.
Dennis
Old 12th January 2012, 17:43
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Got mine today, looks fantasic. Quality on the powdercoat is excellent.

Thanks again Mike & everyone else involved in development and testing
Old 12th January 2012, 17:52

Grey V8 Pete is on a distinguished road
Default Servo Output Shaft

Hi Mike. As per my earlier PM, Many thanks for servo received today.
Now starting to do some measuring and checking before starting the swap over.

Question: In an earlier post you said that the dual servo had an adjustable output shaft so a spacer wasn't needed between this and the master cylinder to compensate for the adaptor plate thickness. You also showed a photo ( I can't seem to copy and paste it into this post) of the output shaft unscrewed quite a long way. The dual servo that I have received has a similar, albeit smaller, domed screw and locknut but it is very tight. How did you undo yours? I am scratching around my tool box looking for some very small cranked ring spanners but will wait for your reply before fiddling too much. I notice that the output shaft is quite flexible and rotates freely in the rubber seal so is not actually physically connected to the input (pedal) shaft. Presumably it locates inside the servo in a similar "plunger & cup" arrangement as the output shaft-to-master cylinder connection? Peter.
Old 12th January 2012, 18:02
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Mine arrived today personally delivered by Richard who I thank very much for taking the time to do so. Also Thanks to Mike for all his efforts in ordering the items.

Stuart
Old 12th January 2012, 19:02

morris is on a distinguished road

My servo arrived today too, thanks very much Mike.

It's MASSIVE. Much bigger than I was expecting from the photos. It looks just how you would expect a "Made in the USA" metro servo to turn out

I've done a very quick measure up and as Pete says, can see a few bits of fettling needed. the pedal box mount will need some of the bolt holes filing out and I also hit the same question mark with the out put connection to the master cylinder but was sent to the supermarket before I could give it any real thought. Will have to go back through this now epic thread and the photos to see what's what
Old 12th January 2012, 19:30

Sorton is on a distinguished road

My parcel arrived today, thanks Mike and all involved.
Old 12th January 2012, 22:43
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey V8 Pete View Post

Question: In an earlier post you said that the dual servo had an adjustable output shaft so a spacer wasn't needed between this and the master cylinder to compensate for the adaptor plate thickness. You also showed a photo ( I can't seem to copy and paste it into this post) of the output shaft unscrewed quite a long way. The dual servo that I have received has a similar, albeit smaller, domed screw and locknut but it is very tight. How did you undo yours?
I had a 'fiddle' with mine tonight. It's a 7mm ring spanner or socket to go over the hex head. I held the lock ring with a pair of thin nose pliers (bent snipe nose pliers would be better but I don't own any of those) and it came undone without to much force. The 'lock ring' is a brass coloured serrated ring. (you need to turn the spanner clockwise whilst holding the ring stationary to unlock the ring and then it came out with my fingers).
Surprisingly, it seems to be a 6mm metric thread which is good as it opens up the options to fit a longer plunger if necessary.
The serrated lock ring will need to be tightened to lock it again. I guess with the brake pedal compressed it will stick out a lot further and make it easier to get at.
Old 12th January 2012, 22:44

morris is on a distinguished road

Pete(V8), I managed to undo my plunger extender with a 7mm socket and a pair of long nose pliers to hold the lock nut in place. it only extends about 2cm so I think should be kept for fine adjustment.

For anyone else using an E30 master cylinder (which I don't think has been tested yet), you'll hit a problem with the length of the push rod bit being too much

Basically the seat inside the Servo is 25mm deep with the adapter plate installed. From the E30 fixing face to the end of the M/C push rod uncompressed is 50mm so a few options could be

1. Cut 25mm off the end of the push rod. Easiest way to proceed but it depends if there are seals 25mm inside the M/S that would leak if you press the brake pedal down too far.
2. Create a further adapter 25mm thick to stand the M/C off the servo or layer up a total of 4 of the existing adapter to make the trim cut on the M/C just 10mm. This may push the M/C too far forward so it fouls the side of the bonnet or side panels
3. Stand off spacers for the M/C. As far as I understand it the servo is a sealed unit so the M/C to servo interface doesn't require an air tight seal
4. chuck the BMW M/C and buy a ford one
5. something else entirely (open to suggestions)

I think trimming the M/C pushrod is the most likely solution but looking at Mikes photos, I'm still surprised this is an issue as the ford one looks very similar
[EDIT] no it doesn't, it quite clearly doesn't have the protuding push rod

Last edited by morris; 12th January 2012 at 23:03..
Old 12th January 2012, 23:12
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default Servo

Hi Mike,parcel arrived today,am well chuffed with the Kit, thankyou for all your efforts!
Kind Regards, Jeremy
Old 12th January 2012, 23:21
Enthusiast

Default Adjusting the Output push rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey V8 Pete View Post

Question: In an earlier post you said that the dual servo had an adjustable output shaft so a spacer wasn't needed between this and the master cylinder to compensate for the adaptor plate thickness. You also showed a photo ( I can't seem to copy and paste it into this post) of the output shaft unscrewed quite a long way. The dual servo that I have received has a similar, albeit smaller, domed screw and locknut but it is very tight. How did you undo yours? I am scratching around my tool box looking for some very small cranked ring spanners but will wait for your reply before fiddling too much. I notice that the output shaft is quite flexible and rotates freely in the rubber seal so is not actually physically connected to the input (pedal) shaft. Presumably it locates inside the servo in a similar "plunger & cup" arrangement as the output shaft-to-master cylinder connection? Peter.
Hi Peter
This may not affect everyone - the first one I checked was tight, the second loose.

I found the easiest way to deal with the problem was to use a large G-clamp to compress the input push rod in to the servo: the output end then becomes, and remains, easily accessible.
Do not try to hold the output shaft with a pair of pliers, as the shaft has to make an air tight seal, and any marking of it may cause the seal to fail.

You may find the length of the fitted bolt insufficient to adjust out to the depth of your master cylinder. A longer threaded bolt will solve the problem.
If you want to be really particular, file the head in to a dome shape.

Mike
Old 12th January 2012, 23:28
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
Pete(V8), I managed to undo my plunger extender with a 7mm socket and a pair of long nose pliers to hold the lock nut in place. it only extends about 2cm so I think should be kept for fine adjustment.

For anyone else using an E30 master cylinder (which I don't think has been tested yet), you'll hit a problem with the length of the push rod bit being too much

Basically the seat inside the Servo is 25mm deep with the adapter plate installed. From the E30 fixing face to the end of the M/C push rod uncompressed is 50mm so a few options could be

1. Cut 25mm off the end of the push rod. Easiest way to proceed but it depends if there are seals 25mm inside the M/S that would leak if you press the brake pedal down too far.
2. Create a further adapter 25mm thick to stand the M/C off the servo or layer up a total of 4 of the existing adapter to make the trim cut on the M/C just 10mm. This may push the M/C too far forward so it fouls the side of the bonnet or side panels
3. Stand off spacers for the M/C. As far as I understand it the servo is a sealed unit so the M/C to servo interface doesn't require an air tight seal
4. chuck the BMW M/C and buy a ford one
5. something else entirely (open to suggestions)

I think trimming the M/C pushrod is the most likely solution but looking at Mikes photos, I'm still surprised this is an issue as the ford one looks very similar
[EDIT] no it doesn't, it quite clearly doesn't have the protuding push rod
Oh bugger, Option 4 looks the best!

Has anyone established a part number for the Ford type?
I've seen some with pipe exits on the left and some on the right. The Ford Cortina ones have exits on the right but I think Jason's are on the left?

I guess it's another Marlin secret part number
Old 12th January 2012, 23:39
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Oh bugger, Option 4 looks the best!

Has anyone established a part number for the Ford type?
I've seen some with pipe exits on the left and some on the right. The Ford Cortina ones have exits on the right but I think Jason's are on the left?

I guess it's another Marlin secret part number
Peter

I'm sad to say that was my conclusion (option 4) - Buy a Ford brake master cylinder. be careful of the bore size. Too big and you will end up back where you started.
Simon Gregory fitted one from an XR4i and said it is good. Peter Morris fitted one from a 1.8 LX Sierra one and said it was good too! The smaller the diameter, the better the brake pressure will be: the down side being more pedal travel for the same effect.

The situation with the Ford master cylinder is even worse than you imply. There are also two very different flange sizes and hole centres! I beleive the better one to get is Lucas Girling, and not the Bendix one. The adaptor plate has been supplied with an etched 70mm pcd for the smaller flanged BMC, with holes at 70mm centres (Lucas Girling? - please check first though).
I have seen ones like I chose advertised for Transit Vans. John Tootle (Cabrioman) was going to investigate this - don't know how far he got.

This one looks like mine - 22mm bore:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SIERR...item3a6e576da7

I will search through my old files to see if I can identify the m/c I bought.
Mike
Old 13th January 2012, 00:15

Sorton is on a distinguished road

Bugger! Anyone want a new E30 master cylinder to go with the new metro servo I also have available!!! It's a serious business getting decent brakes but I am sure it will be worth it.

When I measured the flange depth, Mike, I did not realize that the Ford m/c does not have the protruding push rod. I should have looked more closely at the whole combination. Sadly, in my view the only sensible option is a new (unknown) m/c.

Incidentally, how much force is needed to push in the operating rod on the servo. Mine has light force free play of about 2mm and then seems to hit a mechanical stop which I cannot overcome pushing against a block of wood with reasonable force. The output rod does not move and I am loath to risk damage.
Old 13th January 2012, 00:43
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorton View Post
Bugger! Anyone want a new E30 master cylinder to go with the new metro servo I also have available!!! It's a serious business getting decent brakes but I am sure it will be worth it.

When I measured the flange depth, Mike, I did not realize that the Ford m/c does not have the protruding push rod. I should have looked more closely at the whole combination. Sadly, in my view the only sensible option is a new (unknown) m/c.

Incidentally, how much force is needed to push in the operating rod on the servo. Mine has light force free play of about 2mm and then seems to hit a mechanical stop which I cannot overcome pushing against a block of wood with reasonable force. The output rod does not move and I am loath to risk damage.
Hi Sorton
Yes, I have made a few purchases that I have later made redundant - a new metro servo being one! I think there are a lot of us in that situation. Except I welded my extension pushrod to the servo so it is now scrap!
I also agree the best solution is to go for a new / re-manufactured master cylinder. I've just seen a Cortina with a 20mm bore which would be better than my 22mm bore, but I'm not sure about the size of the flange fitting. (another redundant ebay purchase taught me that there are different flange sizes)

With regard to compression force - there is a hefty return spring in the servo, which makes it quite hard to compress. I could not hold it down AND undo the adjustable thread - hence my advice to use a large G-clamp to compress it. Then it is easy to adjust the output threaded stud.

Mike
Old 13th January 2012, 08:20
Enthusiast

I'm confused.

If the metro servo works with the BMW master cylinder then why not the Dual Servo? The plunger arrangment in the Metro servo looked quite similar to that of the dual servo when I looked at my spare metro servo last night.

As I remember the operating rod on the master cylinder is hollow and the plunger from the servo goes up the middle.

Cheers

Robin

Edit:
OK - I looked at the picture of the cutway servo. I can see the problem now. The dual servo has a seat that the metro servo didn't have. The metro servo relying on the tip of the push rod instead.
Old 13th January 2012, 08:25
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

That's right, Robin. But the dual servo has an M6 threaded pushrod that you can lengthen or shorten to ensure that there is no slack before the pushrod hits the master cylinder.
Old 13th January 2012, 08:36
Enthusiast

Before we all go and buy new master cylinders wouldn't it be worth:

1. Working out how much the push rod can move when the brake pedal is flat on the floor.

2. If, in this position there would still some operating rod visible on the master cylinder, then it would be safe to shorten it.

However I guess that shortening it may not be that easy. From its color I guess that the operating rod is made of a high carbon steel. Will probably need a cutting disc in an angle grinder.

Robin